The fundamental theorem of calculus(I think;) )

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about finding the derivative of an integral with a variable upper limit of integration. The conversation also touches on the use of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the chain rule in this type of problem.
beaf123

Homework Statement

Been doing some old exams lately and found out that something I have problems with is questions of the type ( example):
Differente the function:

∫ (x^2 ),(1), ln(t^2) dt

Sorry for the bad writing.
(x^2 ),(1), is the intgral from 1 to X^2

It should be fairly simple, but my brain somehow clicks when I see this question. Maybe because its integration AND derrivation. Could someone explain the steps they use to solve this exircise.

And would I get the same answer if I integrated the function ( maybe not the best to do in this case ), solved for the integral and then differented the integral?

Thank you!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
So your problem is "Find the derivative of [itex]\int_1^{x^2} ln(t^2)dt[/itex]".

You mention the "Fundamental Theorem" and I assume you mean the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus"! One part of that says that [itex]d/dx \int_a^x f(t)dt= f(x)[/itex]
Here, the only problem is that the upper limit is [itex]x^2[/itex] rather than x.

So let [itex]u= x^2[/itex]. The integral becomes [itex]\int_1^u ln(t^2)dt[/itex]. What is the derivative of that with respect to u? And to find the derivative with respect to x, use the chain rule: df/dx= (df/du)(du/dx).

Im confused. Why does I have to use the chain rule? Cant I just stick X^2 in there and get: ln(X^2)^2 = ln (x)^4 = 4lnx?

;-)

Another way to think about it is that after doing the integration, you will have some expression like [itex]F(x^2)-F(1)[/itex]. Now, when you take the derivative, you will have to use the chain rule (and remember [itex]F(1)[/itex] is a constant) so that
[itex]\frac{d}{dx}(F(x)-F(1)) = F'(x^2)\frac{d(x^2)}{dx}[/itex]. Now, use the fact that [itex]F'=f[/itex] (which is the FTC you reference).

beaf123 said:
Im confused.
Yes, very much.
beaf123 said:
Why does I have to use the chain rule? Cant I just stick X^2 in there and get: ln(X^2)^2 = ln (x)^4 = 4lnx?
It's hard to know where to start.

Are you thinking that
$$ \int ln(t^2) dt = (ln(t^2))^2?$$

To use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, all of the important pieces have to be exactly as in the theorem -- differentiation has to be with respect to the same variable as is present in the upper limit of integration.

For your problem, it's differentiation with respect to x, but it's x2 as a limit. Reread what HallsOfIvy said you need to do.

beaf123 said:

Homework Statement

Been doing some old exams lately and found out that something I have problems with is questions of the type ( example):
Differente the function:

∫ (x^2 ),(1), ln(t^2) dt

Sorry for the bad writing.
(x^2 ),(1), is the intgral from 1 to X^2

It should be fairly simple, but my brain somehow clicks when I see this question. Maybe because its integration AND derrivation. Could someone explain the steps they use to solve this exircise.

And would I get the same answer if I integrated the function ( maybe not the best to do in this case ), solved for the integral and then differented the integral?

Thank you!:)

You can write this as ∫_{1..x^2} ln(t^2) dt, or as ∫{ln(t^2): t=1..x^2}. Anyway, do you know the general formula for
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \int_1^{f(x)} F(t) \, dt?[/tex] If you do, just use it. Note that you can find the derivative of the integral, even if you cannot do the integral itself.

RGV

Im going to spend some time working with this, but
if we had the same exircise but with x instead of X^2, would the answer be ln(x^2)?

beaf123 said:
Im going to spend some time working with this, but
if we had the same exircise but with x instead of X^2, would the answer be ln(x^2)?
Yes.

FAQ: The fundamental theorem of calculus(I think;) )

1. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a mathematical concept that establishes a relationship between the concepts of differentiation and integration. It states that the integral of a function can be calculated by using the antiderivative of that function.

2. Why is the fundamental theorem of calculus important?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is important because it allows us to easily calculate integrals without having to use complicated methods. It also connects two major concepts in calculus, differentiation and integration, making it a fundamental tool for solving problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. Can you give an example of how the fundamental theorem of calculus is applied?

One example of how the fundamental theorem of calculus is applied is in finding the area under a curve. By using the fundamental theorem, we can find the integral of the function representing the curve and use that to calculate the area. For example, if we have a velocity function, we can find the distance traveled by taking the integral of the function over a specific time interval.

4. Is the fundamental theorem of calculus a single theorem or multiple theorems?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is actually a pair of theorems, known as the first and second fundamental theorems of calculus. The first theorem deals with the relationship between differentiation and integration, while the second theorem deals with the calculation of definite integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

While the fundamental theorem of calculus is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to continuous functions, and it may not work for some more complex functions. Additionally, it only applies to definite integrals, not indefinite integrals. Therefore, it is important to understand the conditions and limitations of the theorem before applying it to a problem.