Will the Future of Computing Move Beyond Electricity?

In summary: However, as technology progresses, I do not believe that electricity will be the only means of transmitting and storing data.
cam875
I really love learning about computers and really figuring out about what they are actually doing. I started programming in python and now i basically just do assembly because its so low level. Now assembly has made me understand a decent amount about the hardware and its layout but I am starting to wonder if computers will continue to always be electrical. I mean I am no computer or electrical engineer which is why I am posting this here because I would like to here others opinions on if they think we will be able to use different forms of energy to be able to compute things. Also is it impossible to produce light without an electrical current? what makes us think that electricity is the best way to do it? is it because even our own bodies have electrical neural networks which are extremely complex? And to finish it off is mechanical ways of computing possibly faster? obviously not at our scale but at the atomic scale such as making gears and things out of a few atoms. Could that be the answer to a faster cpu? or will electricty still be dominant? srry for the mass questions. Dont answer all of them just incorportate there ideas into your own professional answer. Thanks in advance, looking forward to some good answers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cam875 said:
I really love learning about computers and really figuring out about what they are actually doing. I started programming in python and now i basically just do assembly because its so low level. Now assembly has made me understand a decent amount about the hardware and its layout but I am starting to wonder if computers will continue to always be electrical. I mean I am no computer or electrical engineer which is why I am posting this here because I would like to here others opinions on if they think we will be able to use different forms of energy to be able to compute things. Also is it impossible to produce light without an electrical current? what makes us think that electricity is the best way to do it? is it because even our own bodies have electrical neural networks which are extremely complex? And to finish it off is mechanical ways of computing possibly faster? obviously not at our scale but at the atomic scale such as making gears and things out of a few atoms. Could that be the answer to a faster cpu? or will electricty still be dominant? srry for the mass questions. Dont answer all of them just incorportate there ideas into your own professional answer. Thanks in advance, looking forward to some good answers.

Yeah... light is produced all the time without an electrical current.
And they're about to start routing by using light and microscopic mirrors so I've heard to increase the speed of the internet. Since semiconductors take time to be turned on. versus directing light.

so how exactly do they generate light without electricity, i am going to assume they use heat or some sort of chemical reaction. And arent electrical circuits starting to reach there limits because it doesn't seem like any CPU's go over 4.0 ghz now.

Light used for information signals can be -- and is -- generated electronically using semiconductor lasers.

cam875 said:
so how exactly do they generate light without electricity, i am going to assume they use heat or some sort of chemical reaction. And arent electrical circuits starting to reach there limits because it doesn't seem like any CPU's go over 4.0 ghz now.

Nuclear Fission generates light.
But if you're talking about humans producing light... I think using electricity is the simplest way to generate light. Essentially to get an electron to emit energy in the form of light. The objective is to get them to change energy levels. And our digital circuitry still has a good while before we start hitting physical limitation of "Moore's Law" And a 4.00GHz Processor is extremely fast considering the speed the rest of the CPU clocks at...Which is normally in the MHz. On the other hand they're developing graphene ribbon to replace the silicon semiconductor, which will be more quantum confined and is predicted to make Processors reach in Tesla Hertz

i had a control systems teacher that insisted we do our calculations on a plastic computer, the http://www.spirule.com/" . it was powered by converting the chemical energy of biological organisms to mechanical energy. i think his favorite light source was also fire, fwiw.

Last edited by a moderator:
arent chemical computers being invented as well such as DNA computing? is that going to be better than using electrical circuits?

I believe the only 'useful' light produced these days for technological purposes is through the use of electrical current to power a semiconductor laser.

As for the future of computing, I also believe that processing data through light holds promise. However, the cost is relatively high, and the technology far less than mature. You may want to read up on "photonic band-gap materials" and the uses. Storing a single bit of data as light and bending light 90 degrees is possible through these materials. I am no expert on them, but since reading about them I feel like this is where things may turn in the future (although it may be distant).

What is the future of computing?

The future of computing is constantly evolving and there are many different predictions about what it could look like. Some experts believe that quantum computing will become more prevalent, allowing for faster and more powerful processing. Others believe that artificial intelligence and machine learning will continue to advance and become integrated into everyday devices. It is also likely that there will be a shift towards more cloud-based computing and a greater emphasis on data privacy and security.

Will computers ever become smarter than humans?

It is difficult to predict if computers will ever become smarter than humans. While artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms are becoming increasingly advanced, they are still limited by the data and programming provided by humans. Additionally, computers lack the ability to think creatively or have emotions, which are important aspects of human intelligence. However, there is a possibility that in the future, computers could surpass human intelligence in certain tasks or areas.

What impact will quantum computing have on the future?

Quantum computing has the potential to drastically change the future of computing. With its ability to process vast amounts of data and solve complex problems at a much faster rate than traditional computers, it could have a huge impact on fields such as medicine, finance, and cybersecurity. However, the technology is still in its early stages and there are many challenges that need to be addressed before it becomes widely available.

How will the rise of the Internet of Things impact computing?

The Internet of Things (IoT) refers to the interconnectedness of everyday objects and devices through the internet. This means that devices such as cars, home appliances, and even clothing can collect and share data. This will lead to a massive increase in the amount of data that needs to be processed and analyzed, which will require more advanced computing technologies. It is also likely that there will be a greater emphasis on security to protect this data.

What role will virtual and augmented reality play in the future of computing?

Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) are becoming increasingly popular and are expected to have a big impact on the future of computing. VR allows users to be fully immersed in a digital world, while AR overlays digital information onto the real world. These technologies have the potential to revolutionize industries such as gaming, education, and healthcare. They also require powerful computing capabilities to create and render these immersive experiences.