Will Solar Power Outshine Oil in the Near Future?

In summary, the ad does not provide enough information to say whether or not this technology exists and if it does, whether or not it would be cost-effective.
russ_watters said:
It's pretty unlikely. There are plenty of technically doable storage solutions out there, but by nature they are really difficult to make economically viable.

I can't imagine why an oil company would ever want to do such a thing.
The oil companies sell finished fuel products, if there are greater profits from making their own feedstock,
well they are in business to make profits.

Physics news on Phys.org
johnbbahm said:
I do not think the pain threshold is that high.
If Sunfire is to be believed, they can create fuel at 70% efficiency (The Naval Research labs say 60%).
This means it would take 50 Kwh to make a gallon of gasoline counting breaking down the water and cracking the CO2.
At a wholesale price of 3 cents per Kwh, the cost to make a gallon of gasoline would be about $1.50,
or roughly equal to about $60 a barrel oil.
Gasoline, Diesel, and jet fuels are all viable products, if the price is right.
You're making the same conservation of money and energy mistake another member made earlier. It can't possibly ever be more economical to store energy as fuel than you can use it outright because by storing it you lose some, which means you have to make/buy more than if you didn't store it.

...even if we go with that unreasonably low price per kwh...

...aso, That's just the energy; it doesn't include the cost of the technology or facilities; It's the "solar is free" fallacy.

Likes mfb and NTL2009
johnbbahm said:
Sorry, I posted the 2010 link to show they have been working on the problem for a while.
http://www.sunfire.de/en/applications/fuel
https://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news-releases/2014/scale-model-wwii-craft-takes-flight-with-fuel-from-the-sea-concept
Both Audi/Sunfire and the Naval Research labs have ongoing research efforts.
The Navy researchers seem to think they can have a detached carrier group by 2021.
johnbbahm said:
I do not think the pain threshold is that high.
If Sunfire is to be believed, they can create fuel at 70% efficiency (The Naval Research labs say 60%).
This means it would take 50 Kwh to make a gallon of gasoline counting breaking down the water and cracking the CO2.
At a wholesale price of 3 cents per Kwh, the cost to make a gallon of gasoline would be about $1.50,
or roughly equal to about $60 a barrel oil.
Gasoline, Diesel, and jet fuels are all viable products, if the price is right.

OK, but that cost is just the electricity cost. This process, while likely achievable technically, appears fairly complex, and likely relatively expensive equipment. So again, amortize the capital costs across a part-time application of excess solar, and I still think it will be very tough.

Military applications are often "we need to do this, cost is not a primary concern". There is a benefit from making fuel while at sea, even if the cost is very high.

Likes mfb and russ_watters
NTL2009 said:
And how do you sell solar power at noon, if everyone already has all they can use?

If this lid is real then the short term solutions would be:

- Concentrate on bringing solar power to markets that are not yet near the usage limit.
- Install other forms of clean power. For example, the windiest days tend not to be the sunniest.
- Encourage industry to schedule its most energy intensive activities for when power is most available. This is a basic free market response.
- Restore and improve long distance power distribution. Wind and sunlight very locally, but less so from region to region.
- Continue to improve storage techniques of all kinds.

Note that the first three options here cost nothing beyond what we are already spending, the 4th is needed regardless of whether or not we add renewables, and the fifth is largely driven by cell phones and consumer electronics.

And when comparing costs of fossil fuels to renewables, remember that the war in Iraq is basically a six trillion dollar oil subsidy. The hidden costs of renewables pale in comparison.

Algr said:

- Concentrate on bringing solar power to markets that are not yet near the usage limit.

That is exactly what the graph shown in post #575 by @mheslep is showing.

- Install other forms of clean power. For example, the windiest days tend not to be the sunniest.
- Encourage industry to schedule its most energy intensive activities for when power is most available. This is a basic free market response.
Those countries also have a lot of wind power, and I would imagine are engaging in energy shifting as well. But how many industries can schedule their power usage like that? Again, many industries are capital intensive, and need to run as much as possible, even 24/7, to be competitive.
- Restore and improve long distance power distribution. Wind and sunlight very locally, but less so from region to region.

Expensive. Subject to Mother Nature or other attacks.

Sure, and while I try to be optimistic on this, I just don't see anything on the horizon. We should keep looking, but I keep seeing costs that just say - it's cheaper to just waste the power.

Note that the first three options here cost nothing beyond what we are already spending, the 4th is needed regardless of whether or not we add renewables, and the fifth is largely driven by cell phones and consumer electronics.

Option #3 does have costs. Shifting energy usage in a major way does not come free. You either lose production, or you are doing some sort of local storage (like making ice now to keep things cool later), and there are always losses with storage, and/or capacity issues (we need more ice makers if we don't run 24/7!).

Algr said:
And when comparing costs of fossil fuels to renewables, remember that the war in Iraq is basically a six trillion dollar oil subsidy. The hidden costs of renewables pale in comparison.

Red herring.

There is simply no way that we have so much renewable that we replace all our oil demands such that we don't care about protecting oil shipments in that region. And even if we did, I don't think oil alone is the reason for our involvement in the Middle East, but that is outside the scope of this technical discussion I think.

NTL2009 said:
Red herring.

There is simply no way that we have so much renewable that we replace all our oil demands such that we don't care about protecting oil shipments in that region.

I did this calculation. One trillion dollars in wind turbines generates about as much power in watts as the US gets from the Middle East. Spend the other 5 trillion on batteries and power lines and the US can stop buying oil from ISIL forever.

Algr said:

I did this calculation. One trillion dollars in wind turbines generates about as much power in watts as the US gets from the Middle East. Spend the other 5 trillion on batteries and power lines and the US can stop buying oil from ISIL forever.
Please show your work. It's not just a matter of power, it's having that power in a usable form. I don't think a 747 can be battery powered.

And again, outside the technical range of this thread, but something tells me that if the US no longer imported any oil, that would not change the some of the issues in the ME that affect us. It may make them worse?

Algr said:
I did this calculation. One trillion dollars in wind turbines generates about as much power in watts as the US gets from the Middle East.
I'd like to see your work as well because we don't really buy power from the Middle East, we buy energy. Mixing and matching the two is a common way solar/wind's viability are over-estimated by several times.
Actually, doing that math gives me $57 a barrel, or about a 100% subsidy on oil (wholesale) if we consider the $6T to be a reasonable estimate and that it was spent only for oil and that it had no other economic benefit (none of which seem reasonable to me). Hidden or otherwise, that puts it on a similar level with many renewable energy subsidies, particularly when it comes to solar.
http://consumerenergyalliance.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Solar-incentive-report-FINAL.pdf

Last edited:
johnbbahm said:
The oil companies sell finished fuel products, if there are greater profits from making their own feedstock,
well they are in business to make profits.
Oil companies make money by selling energy. They can't make money by buying energy from their customers and then re-selling it back to their customers in another form. That's like me buying a house from you and then selling it back to you and both of us profiting from the sequence of transactions. Since it is circular, it must be zero sum.

We need to put more of effort into power storage.
Some of that could be simple in easy locations, just pump water uphill when availabe energy is exceeding demand.

rootone said:
We need to put more of effort into power storage.
Some of that could be simple in easy locations, just pump water uphill when availabe energy is exceeding demand.
That's been discussed, maybe in this thread. Yes, sounds easy, until you do the math. Gravity is a weak force, it takes a lot of mass and a lot of height to store the kind of energy we are talking about.

The tech is well understood (same as hydro power), it's pretty efficient, there really are no barriers to implementing. The above reasons are why you don't see much of it in place today.

Oh, and it isn't waiting for renewable energy to produce excess, grid operators would use this today (and do in a few limited cases) to provide some load leveling. So unfortunately, I don't think this is an answer either.

Algr said:
In other words, go to suboptimal places (less sunshine, worse infrastructure, ...). That makes solar more expensive.
That doesn't increase the fraction of solar power.
That needs an overcapacity in the industry. That is not free, you have to give the industries a motivation via lower electricity prices if there is excess solar power. That makes solar power less attractive.
- Restore and improve long distance power distribution.
That is done already.

russ_watters said:
In a country like Germany, you get an availability factor of at best 20%, which means 8% of annual consumption corresponds to a peak capacity of 40% of peak load.
20%? Most of the country gets 11-13%. Here is a map. The installed capacity is 40 GW, while the total average demand is 66 GW (higher during the day).

Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
You're making the same conservation of money and energy mistake another member made earlier. It can't possibly ever be more economical to store energy as fuel than you can use it outright because by storing it you lose some, which means you have to make/buy more than if you didn't store it.

...even if we go with that unreasonably low price per kwh...

...aso, That's just the energy; it doesn't include the cost of the technology or facilities; It's the "solar is free" fallacy.
I have already said the process is between 60 and 70% efficient, which means you use 30 to 40% of the energy to store it,
As to the using it outright, the wall being discussed is because demand is low when supply is high, so there is no outright demand
for the electricity to be used. Storing the surplus at 60% makes more sense than dumping it at 100%.

As to the low wholesale price of electricity, that is published data.
https://www.eia.gov/electricity/wholesale/
When Audi started doing this research, they purchased an old refinery, from what I have read
the processes are very similar to current olefin cracking done at most refineries.
Solar is not free, but neither is oil, both have a very real cost of goods sold.
Oils price will only increase in the long term, where as the price for solar electricity is declining.

NTL2009 said:
OK, but that cost is just the electricity cost. This process, while likely achievable technically, appears fairly complex, and likely relatively expensive equipment. So again, amortize the capital costs across a part-time application of excess solar, and I still think it will be very tough.

Military applications are often "we need to do this, cost is not a primary concern". There is a benefit from making fuel while at sea, even if the cost is very high.
I think the process is something a modern refinery could transition to is short order, The carbon capture, and electrolysis of water for hydrogen,
are where the electricity is used.
The is a decent breakdown of the different research efforts is EE.
http://www.ee.co.za/article/power-liquids-power-gas-closing-carbon-cycle.html

johnbbahm said:
Storing the surplus at 60% makes more sense than dumping it at 100%.
It makes more sense than dumping it, but it is still worse than using it as electricity.
johnbbahm said:
As to the low wholesale price of electricity, that is published data.
https://www.eia.gov/electricity/wholesale/
It doesn't apply to solar power which receives large subsidies basically everywhere.
johnbbahm said:
Oils price will only increase in the long term, where as the price for solar electricity is declining.
They are so far away from each other that it will take a very long time until "oil from solar" is competitive.

johnbbahm said:
... Storing the surplus at 60% makes more sense than dumping it at 100%. ...
No, you aren't using words properly. We can say "Storing the surplus at 60% is more desirable than dumping it at 100%." But it only makes sense if it is practical and cost effective.

A parallel - about 30% of the energy of an automotive ICE is wasted as heat. It would be desirable to capture and use/store that wasted energy. But it doesn't make sense to capture and use/store that wasted energy, because we just don't have a practical and cost effective means to do it. Is there research into it? Yes. But just like solar storage, nothing that appears to have a path to practicality on the horizon.

NTL2009 said:
No, you aren't using words properly. We can say "Storing the surplus at 60% is more desirable than dumping it at 100%." But it only makes sense if it is practical and cost effective.

A parallel - about 30% of the energy of an automotive ICE is wasted as heat. It would be desirable to capture and use/store that wasted energy. But it doesn't make sense to capture and use/store that wasted energy, because we just don't have a practical and cost effective means to do it. Is there research into it? Yes. But just like solar storage, nothing that appears to have a path to practicality on the horizon.
There is a big difference between using using electricity for which there is no demand, and trying to improve the Carnot efficiency of a heat engine.
FYI I think most car ICE are only about 25% efficient so 75% of the energy is wasted as heat.
Practical and cost effective, if a refinery can buy electricity and make feedstocks, for cheaper than they can buy oil,
it does not get more practical than that.
If the un demanded electricity were not used, it would have to be dissipated heat, which could harm the grid.

johnbbahm said:
There is a big difference between using using electricity for which there is no demand, and trying to improve the Carnot efficiency of a heat engine.
FYI I think most car ICE are only about 25% efficient so 75% of the energy is wasted as heat. ...

Yes, I was thinking ~ 30% as heat but it is ~ 30% lost as heat through the cooling system, and 30% lost as heat through the exhaust system.
But the actual number was not the point, it was the concept of waste in general, and what is practical. Of course an ICE is different - but the concepts of "practicality" are the same.

johnbbahm said:
... Practical and cost effective, if a refinery can buy electricity and make feedstocks, for cheaper than they can buy oil,
it does not get more practical than that. ...

Again, you confuse "wishes" and "practical". Your argument is circular - "if" it can be made practical, then it is practical?

johnbbahm said:
... If the un demanded electricity were not used, it would have to be dissipated heat, which could harm the grid.

Not true. The inverter of a solar panel with no load on it simply does not supply power to the load. It goes "open circuit" and it doesn't get hot from that, any more than the sockets in your home with nothing plugged in need something to absorb the power there - they don't. In fact, with near zero current, it will e cooler than if it had a load on it. Wind turbines are turned at an angle to reduce output. Gas turbines are fed less fuel.

I'm not certain about what happens in a steam plant if demand drops below supply. It would seem to me that an unloaded generator would use little energy in, so less steam energy would be drawn down from the source. Does this result in over-pressure conditions? Does the steam just need to be released? Hopefully one of the power plant experts here can explain. Though maybe this doesn't happen in practice, as the peaker plants are adapting in time.

Last edited:
Algr said:

I (and others) would like to see your calculations.

NTL2009 said:
Yes, I was thinking ~ 30% as heat but it is ~ 30% lost as heat through the cooling system, and 30% lost as heat through the exhaust system.
But the actual number was not the point, it was the concept of waste in general, and what is practical. Of course an ICE is different - but the concepts of "practicality" are the same.
Again, you confuse "wishes" and "practical". Your argument is circular - "if" it can be made practical, then it is practical?
Not true. The inverter of a solar panel with no load on it simply does not supply power to the load. It goes "open circuit" and it doesn't get hot from that, any more than the sockets in your home with nothing plugged in need something to absorb the power there - they don't. In fact, with near zero current, it will e cooler than if it had a load on it. Wind turbines are turned at an angle to reduce output. Gas turbines are fed less fuel.

I'm not certain about what happens in a steam plant if demand drops below supply. It would seem to me that an unloaded generator would use little energy in, so less steam energy would be drawn down from the source. Does this result in over-pressure conditions? Does the steam just need to be released? Hopefully one of the power plant experts here can explain. Though maybe this doesn't happen in practice, as the peaker plants are adapting in time.
I am not sure how the demand is regulated between the grid and the inverter. The point of storage is that if the supply is available,
the energy can be stored for later or alternate use.
The big problem with solar and wind is energy density and poor duty cycle.
Viable storage would solve both of those problems, creating hydrocarbon fuel would allow the energy to be
accumulated in a high density package, compatible with existing demands and infrastructure.

johnbbahm said:
... The point of storage is that if the supply is available, the energy can be stored for later or alternate use.
The big problem with solar and wind is energy density and poor duty cycle.
Viable storage would solve both of those problems, creating hydrocarbon fuel would allow the energy to be
accumulated in a high density package, compatible with existing demands and infrastructure.

You just keep stating and re-stating the obvious. "Viable storage" is desirable.

But desire doesn't make it "viable".

Let's go back to the post that started this recent conversation - the one showing that solar is maxing out at 8% on grids around the globe. Sure, practical, affordable storage would allow more solar to be used, no one is arguing that.

But where is this practical, affordable storage? It doesn't exist, and today there is no pathway for them to exist. Hopefully someday, but as of now, proposals (even after assuming future development of the ideas) are expensive and/or limited, and/or vaporware. I use the term "pathway", as I don't want to rule out advances, but I simply don't see anything that even shows realistic promise of being practical and affordable within decades.

For example, hydro storage was mentioned. But this is already pretty efficient, so the future does not hold "game changing" advances in efficiency. And it takes a combination of large amounts of mass and height deltas, that is dictated by gravity. There is no "pathway" to change that. And that is true of all the plans I've seen, there are physical and practical limits to how far it can be advanced. We can even apply this to ideas that are in development, they can't break the laws of physics, so we can estimate a 'best case' for them, and that 'best case' is not all that attractive.

Storage is a tough nut to crack.

Likes mheslep
Algr said:
What is causing the "wall"? Political resistance? Lack of panel availability? Splitting up the sun between too many cells?
Cost. The system cost of intermittent power quickly becomes expensive with rising share of generation.

Likes johnbbahm
nikkkom said:
Germany and Japan are not particularly sunny countries and population density is high. They don't have huge unpopulated areas, and no deserts.
The Tabernas barely counts as the only real desert in Europe. Germany is ~60% more population dense than China. Land is not the problem. A more southern latitude helps, as indicated by Italy, Greece, Spain, but not much in avoiding an inevitable economic cliff.

russ_watters said:
addition, solar still has to be fully backed up by conventional sources, which means the more solar you put in, the more expensive the backup gets (because it is used less).
Yes, this. Today Germany has 49 GW of coal fleet capacity. In 2002, Germany had ... 49 GW of coal capacity. Gas fired electric increased 50% over the same period. Germany runs the fossil fleet at a bit lower rate than it did 15 years ago, but that doesn't reduce cost much as you indicated.

NTL2009 said:
You just keep stating and re-stating the obvious. "Viable storage" is desirable.

But desire doesn't make it "viable".

Let's go back to the post that started this recent conversation - the one showing that solar is maxing out at 8% on grids around the globe. Sure, practical, affordable storage would allow more solar to be used, no one is arguing that.

But where is this practical, affordable storage? It doesn't exist, and today there is no pathway for them to exist. Hopefully someday, but as of now, proposals (even after assuming future development of the ideas) are expensive and/or limited, and/or vaporware. I use the term "pathway", as I don't want to rule out advances, but I simply don't see anything that even shows realistic promise of being practical and affordable within decades.

For example, hydro storage was mentioned. But this is already pretty efficient, so the future does not hold "game changing" advances in efficiency. And it takes a combination of large amounts of mass and height deltas, that is dictated by gravity. There is no "pathway" to change that. And that is true of all the plans I've seen, there are physical and practical limits to how far it can be advanced. We can even apply this to ideas that are in development, they can't break the laws of physics, so we can estimate a 'best case' for them, and that 'best case' is not all that attractive.

Storage is a tough nut to crack.
No one is violating the laws of physics, It would take roughly 50 Mwh of electricity to store the 35 Mwh of energy in a gallon of gasoline,
but the processes are working, the Navy has received patents,
https://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news-releases/2016/NRL-Seawater-Carbon-Capture-Process-Receives-US-Patent
Sunfire's system is producing fuels.
The hard work is done, the scale up engineering is still ahead, but is possible.
We already know that grid tied solar under the current conditions starts slowing down at about 8%,
so we change the conditions by adding hydrocarbon storage.

johnbbahm said:
No one is violating the laws of physics, It would take roughly 50 Mwh of electricity to store the 35 Mwh of energy in a gallon of gasoline,
https://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news-releases/2016/NRL-Seawater-Carbon-Capture-Process-Receives-US-Patent
The hard work is done, the scale up engineering is still ahead, but is possible.
We already know that grid tied solar under the current conditions starts slowing down at about 8%,
so we change the conditions by adding hydrocarbon storage.

I didn't mean to imply (and did not say) that the linked process violated the laws of physics, it clearly doesn't. I mentioned that as a means to estimate the "best case" limits of any proposed solution.

Regarding Sunfire, it seems to be as said earlier, a military solution where cost is not near the top of the priority list. From your link:

“A ship's ability to produce a significant fraction of the battle group's fuel for operations at sea could reduce the mean time between refueling, and increase the operational flexibility and time on station,” said Cmdr. DiMascio. “Reducing the logistics tail on fuel delivery with the potential to increase the Navy's energy security and independence, with minimal impact on the environment, were key factors in the development of this program.”

Nowhere in there did I see any reference to this fuel being anywhere near cost-competitive with fossil fuels. So it simply is not reasonable to assume this process would be applicable to large scale use of any excess grid energy.

I would be very interested if you could find a reputable source that shows a process like this has the potential to convert solar energy to gasoline to power my car, at a competitive $/gallon retail price, with all costs factored in.

And their plans (as of a year ago), called for scaling this up to... one gallon a day. So this is still very small scale demonstration level. The question is cost. We have plenty of storage options today, if you ignore cost.

Please don't make me laugh, this is a serious subject. I will assume you have never brought a product from prototype to commercialization. I have, and trust me, there is still plenty of "hard work" to be done after your proof-of-concept has been shown to work in the lab. Often, it is the commercialization that is the hardest part, and often where the failures occur.

Even Edison said it: "Invention is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration".

I found the following analysis interesting:

NREL Report Shows Utility-Scale Solar PV System Cost Fell Nearly 30% Last Year
September 12, 2017
...The report shows that the levelized cost of electricity (LCOE) benchmarks without subsidies for the first quarter of 2017 fell to between 12.9 and 16.7 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh) for residential systems, 9.2-12.0 cents a kWh for commercial systems, 5.0-6.6 cents a kWh for utility-scale fixed-tilt systems, and 4.4-6.1 cents a kWh for utility-scale one-axis tracking systems.
So all but the residential systems are generating power at less than what I pay for electricity. (12.2¢/kwh)

And the breakdown of residential costs are really interesting.
A visual snippet from the full technical report:

2017.09.14.NREL.residential.costs.png

Residential cost breakdown​

As a lifelong, pauperish DIYer, the "Soft Costs*" kind of irk me.

*Soft Costs
Net Profit
Overhead (General & Admin.)
Sales & Marketing (Customer acquisition)
Permitting, Inspection, Interconnection (PII)
Sales Tax
Install labor​

I suppose though, if I had cash to spare, and was not a DIYer, then I'd not be irked, as, well, that's just how things work.

I really like this "Mark Jacobson" fellow.

AAAS posted this a couple of days ago:
WORLDWIDE RENEWABLES
September 12, 2017

How practical is a worldwide switch to 100% renewable energy?

BOB HIRSHON (host):
Practical renewables. I’m Bob Hirshon and this is Science Update.

Ask someone about making the world run on 100% renewable wind, water and solar energy, and they might say “can’t happen; just doesn’t add up.” But in the journal Joule, Stanford climate scientist Mark Jacobson and his colleagues report that most countries could convert to 100% renewable energy by the year 2050 and actually save money.
I posted some thoughts on Facebook the other day, regarding his (Jacobson's) naysayers:

Note to self; "Stanford professor Mark Jacobson is being negatively targeted by sciencey people for this idea, as it will put A LOT of sciencey people out of work." #DisruptiveInnovation #WithoutHotAir

Note to self; "Look into background of all people denigrating Professor Jacobson's idea. Guessing they all have a financial interest in seeing his idea fail."

#everyonewantstoberichpsevenom

OmCheeto said:
I found the following analysis interesting:

NREL Report Shows Utility-Scale Solar PV System Cost Fell Nearly 30% Last Year
September 12, 2017
...The report shows that the levelized cost of electricity (LCOE) benchmarks without subsidies for the first quarter of 2017 fell to between 12.9 and 16.7 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh) for residential systems, 9.2-12.0 cents a kWh for commercial systems, 5.0-6.6 cents a kWh for utility-scale fixed-tilt systems, and 4.4-6.1 cents a kWh for utility-scale one-axis tracking systems.
So all but the residential systems are generating power at less than what I pay for electricity. (12.2¢/kwh) ...
Very interesting, and encouraging to see prices dropping.

However, relative to the recent discussion of the ~ 8% limit we see for solar on grids, these costs go out the window at that point. If your grid presently is on the edge of excess solar on 4 out of 5 days, an added panel will only be able to sell 80% of what it produces, making the effective payback for that panel 25% longer, or requiring 25% more panels for the same revenue stream.

Note to self; "Look into background of all people denigrating Professor Jacobson's idea. Guessing they all have a financial interest in seeing his idea fail."

I'm not a fan of that thinking. While it is a consideration, I like to see the facts and numbers speak for themselves, regardless who's mouth they come from. Facts and numbers represent science, pre-judging something based on who said it is a logical fallacy. Sometimes, someone who I dislike says something I learn from. If I discounted the source, I'd be the worse off for it.

NTL2009 said:
Very interesting, and encouraging to see prices dropping.

However, relative to the recent discussion of the ~ 8% limit we see for solar on grids, these costs go out the window at that point.
Not if you have appliances that merge old school with new school technology.
I'm fascinated by the non-chemical batteries of old, and how new tech makes them even better.
I admit, that these devices don't yet exist. But it's only a matter of time, before they do.
If your grid presently is on the edge of excess solar on 4 out of 5 days, an added panel will only be able to sell 80% of what it produces, making the effective payback for that panel 25% longer, or requiring 25% more panels for the same revenue stream.
This is why I was so upset that Zooby couldn't sell his energy to me, when I needed it. The US grid should be totally integrated.
...pre-judging something based on who said it is a logical fallacy. ...

I don't know who his detractors are, so I don't understand your logic.

johnbbahm said:
You keep repeating this over and over again without responding to the points people are making about its irrelevance. Let me reformulate @NTL2009 's point with an example: we figured out the physics behind space travel 50 years ago and used it to put men on the moon. After that, "the scale up engineering" to build a colony on the moon "is possible". So why hasn't it happened? Because the laws of physics still dictate how big of a rocket it takes to get to the moon, which thereby dictates how much it costs. So a colony won't happen without a game-changer technology because the laws of physics drive the economics and prevent the idea from being affordable.

Closer to home, the laws of physics dictate the size and height of reservoir needed, size of piping, size and power of pumps/turbines, etc required for a certain amount of storage, which therefore dictates the cost. That's why pumped-storage is a difficult proposition.

You're completely ignoring this issue with the technology you are discussing (not necessarily your fault: it is generally glossed-over in the media hype of new inventions), but it is certainly there and it is unlikely to allow the technology to become viable.
As to the using it outright, the wall being discussed is because demand is low when supply is high, so there is no outright demand
for the electricity to be used. Storing the surplus at 60% makes more sense than dumping it at 100%.
It may "make sense" but the reason it hasn't happened yet in a scale needed to save solar is because it costs more money than it saves. I doubt the solar-to-gas idea will fix that.

The choice is essentially this for places that haven't maxed-out their solar without storage:
Option 1. [do nothing] Keep an existing gas/coal plant (zero capital cost, a certain production cost).
Option 2. Build a solar plant. Keep the existing coal/gas plant for back-up at a higher cost than it was before.

Right now, Option 2 isn't too painful, so people are doing it some.

For Germany and several other countries, Option 2 doesn't really work anymore because above 8% some of the output of a solar plant gets wasted if there is no storage. So now we have:

Option 3: Build a solar plant. Keep the existing coal/gas plant for back-up at a higher cost than it was before. Build a storage or conversion plant.

Since Option 3 incorporates Option 2, it *must* be more expensive than Option 2.

Last edited:
Likes mheslep
Algr said:

Installing solar to <10% limit suggested by the data is i) expensive and ii) not remotely good enough as an end point to avoid the possibly severe warming scenarios from emissions. The <10% limit required 10-15 years in those countries. By contrast, France used nuclear to go from 60% fossil to under 10% in 12 years.

The countries that are least able to subsidize solar or wind have been installing coal instead. India is now the world's 2nd largest consumer of coal and growing fast. Other countries are chasing them to the top of coal heap, Indonesia, Vietnam, Turkey.

Wind does tend towards more output at night, but it also nonetheless goes to zero occasionally, meaning the entire conventional fleet must be maintained; again, an expense many countries will not tolerate.

Demand shift does not have zero cost, but is quite expensive. Many utilities have programs in place, have had for decades, with peak load seldom moved more than ~5% or so. See for example aluminum production, which has notoriously high electricity consumption. If these plants loose power for many hours, they freeze up, requiring expensive restarts.

Nobody wants HV transmission through their backyard, and it too is expensive.

Battery storage at utility scale is an order of magnitude two short, both in production and cost. While utilities have for years used batteries to aid in momentary transients, there is no battery storage project in the world that could back up a middling 500 MW solar or wind farm for a day, much less the seasonal outages, nor are there any serious plans (ie financed) to build one.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
So all but the residential systems are generating power at less than what I pay for electricity. (12.2¢/kwh)
About 3/4 of that residential rate charged by your utility is for the grid itself (transmission and many generating plants) and your connection to it, available 24/7. The cost for the utility to actually flip a switch and generate electricity through that grid from one of it's many sources is 1 to 5¢ per kwh, 95% of the time. Cutting loose of the grid and going it alone with some solar and a combustion generator behind the curtain has a far higher cost than the residential rate charged by the utility.

As for off grid solar and batteries, it's done for the like of part time cabins and boats, but I'm unaware of any examples of full time, full size, off grid residences in the US by means of solar and batteries. Even long time 100% renewable power advocate Amory Lovins has a grid connection to his mountain home.

Last edited:
Likes mfb