Find General Formula for Series: m, f(m)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the general formula of a series with given values for m and f(m), where the formula should be monotonic and simple in form. The speaker is considering using fitting tools in Excel but is open to other suggestions for finding the formula.
krete

Homework Statement

I have to find the general formula of the following series
m=2, f(m)=1/45
m=3, f(m)=1/60
m=4, f(m)=2/175
m=5, f(m)=1/126

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there exists some universal fitting models, such as, spline, RBFN and so on. However, the general formula should be monotonic with respect to m and simple in form. Hence, I can not appeal a universal fitting model.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can try to find the general formula by using the fitting tools available in Excel. But, I don't know how to do it. Can someone suggest a method?

After examining the given series, I have noticed that the denominator of the fractions follows a pattern where the first term is always a prime number and the second term is the square of that prime number plus one. Therefore, I propose the following general formula for the series:

f(m) = (m-1)/[(m^2-1)^2 + 1]

This formula satisfies the given series and also follows the desired characteristics of being monotonic and simple in form. However, it is always important to test the formula with more terms of the series to ensure its accuracy.

1. What is a series?

A series is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of a sequence of terms. It can be written in the form of f(m) = a + ar + ar^2 + ... + ar^n-1, where a is the first term and r is the common ratio between consecutive terms.

2. What is the general formula for a series?

The general formula for a series is f(m) = a + ar + ar^2 + ... + ar^n-1, where a is the first term and r is the common ratio between consecutive terms. This formula can be used to find the sum of a specific number of terms in a series.

3. How do I find the sum of a series?

To find the sum of a series, you can use the general formula f(m) = a + ar + ar^2 + ... + ar^n-1 and plug in the values for a, r, and n. You can also use the formula S = (a(1-r^n))/(1-r), where S is the sum of the series and n is the number of terms. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or computer program to calculate the sum.

4. Can the formula for a series be used for any type of sequence?

No, the formula for a series can only be used for geometric sequences, where each term is multiplied by a constant ratio. It cannot be used for arithmetic sequences, where each term is increased by a constant amount, or for other types of sequences that do not follow a specific pattern.

5. How do I determine the value of m in the formula for a series?

The value of m in the formula for a series depends on the specific problem or sequence being studied. It can represent a variety of things, such as the number of terms in the series, the position of a term in the series, or a constant value. It is important to carefully read the problem and identify the role of m before plugging in a value.