The harmonic series isn't bounded

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof for the convergence of a series and how the sequence of partial sums being bounded is related to the convergence of the series. The specific topic of discussion is the proof in the book, and the part being clarified is why the sum of terms between 1/(n+1) and 1/2n is greater than n(1/(2n)). This is explained by each term in the sequence being larger than the previous one, and thus the sum of all terms being greater than n(1/(2n)).
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

My mind is blown. You'd think there would be some number which 1/1 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ... stays below, but I guess there isn't. However, before I believe this, I need one part of my book's proof clarified.

Homework Equations

Theorem I. Suppose that un ≥ 0 for every n. Then the series ∑un is convergent if and only if the sequence {sn} of partial sums is bounded.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just following along the proof in the book.

sn = 1 + 1/2 + ... + 1/n.

s2n = sn + 1/(n+1) + 1/(n+2) + ... + 1/2n > sn + 1/2,

since

1/(n+1) + 1/(n+2) + ... + 1/2n > n * (1/2n) = 1/2.

^ That's the part I don't understand. Please explain why that is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{1}{n+1}\geq\frac{1}{2n}[/tex]. Also [tex] \frac{1}{n+2}\geq\frac{1}{2n}[/tex], [tex] \frac{1}{n+3}\geq\frac{1}{2n}[/tex],..., [tex] \frac{1}{2n}\geq\frac{1}{2n}[/tex].

So adding up each term between 1/(n+1) and 1/2n is adding up n terms, each of which is at least 1/2n. The sum must then be at least 1/2n+1/2n+1/2n+...+1/2n=n*(1/2n)=1/2

Jamin2112 said:
1/(n+1) + 1/(n+2) + ... + 1/2n > n * (1/2n) = 1/2.

^ That's the part I don't understand. Please explain why that is true.

Each term in the sequence on the LHS is greater than the next, so each term is greater than 1/(2n):

[tex] \frac{1}{n+1} > \frac{1}{n+2}, ~ \frac{1}{n+2} > \frac{1}{n+3}, \ldots \frac{1}{2n-1} > \frac{1}{2n}. [/tex]

It follows that the sum of all terms is greater than n(1/(2n)).

Office_Shredder said:
[tex] \frac{1}{n+1}\geq\frac{1}{2n}[/tex]. Also [tex] \frac{1}{n+2}\geq\frac{1}{2n}[/tex], [tex] \frac{1}{n+3}\geq\frac{1}{2n}[/tex],..., [tex] \frac{1}{2n}\geq\frac{1}{2n}[/tex].

So adding up each term between 1/(n+1) and 1/2n is adding up n terms, each of which is at least 1/2n. The sum must then be at least 1/2n+1/2n+1/2n+...+1/2n=n*(1/2n)=1/2

2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

1. What is the harmonic series?

The harmonic series is an infinite series of the form 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ... where each term is the reciprocal of a positive integer.

2. Why is the harmonic series important?

The harmonic series is important in mathematics and physics because it can be used to approximate the behavior of certain phenomena, such as sound waves and electrical circuits.

3. How is the harmonic series related to boundedness?

The harmonic series is not bounded because as more terms are added, the sum continues to increase without ever reaching a finite limit. This means that the series has no upper bound and can continue to grow indefinitely.

4. What does it mean for a series to be bounded?

A series is bounded if its terms can be added together to reach a finite limit. In other words, the sum of the terms does not continue to grow without bound.

5. Why is it important to know that the harmonic series is not bounded?

Knowing that the harmonic series is not bounded is important in understanding its behavior and limitations. It also has implications in various fields, such as signal processing and number theory.