Hot Wire Ammeter: How it Works

In summary, the hot wire ammeter measures the amount of heat generated in a wire when the temperature of platinum-iridium becomes constant.
Samar A
In my textbook it says:"in the hot-wire ammeter
Hot%20Wire%20Ammeter.jpg

the pointer stands at a definite reading when the temperature of platinum-iridium becomes constant and the wire stops expanding. That is achieved when the rate of heat radiated by the platinum-iridium wire becomes equal to the rate of heat generated in it."
I actually don't understand the phrase: "the rate of heat radiated by the platinum-iridium wire becomes equal to the rate of heat generated in it" could you please clarify it for me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Samar A said:
actually don't understand the phrase: "the rate of heat radiated by the platinum-iridium wire becomes equal to the rate of heat generated in it" could you please clarify it for me?
It is really the same thing as saying that the temperature stops changing.

##I^2 R## losses generate heat in the wire. The hot wire looses heat to the air around it. When the two are not balanced, temperature changes.

Likes Samar A
Interesting. I had not seen the hot wire ammeter mentioned anywhere for many many years. I always thought it was a clever setup in an as-simple-as-possible way.

Averagesupernova said:
Interesting. I had not seen the hot wire ammeter mentioned anywhere for many many years. I always thought it was a clever setup in an as-simple-as-possible way.
We study AC circuits in our physics assignment this year, and we studied how the moving coil ammeter works to measure the intensity of the DC, but it couldn't measure it for an AC, so we should know about the hot-wire ammeter.
I noticed the same too while searching on the internet. The hot wire ammeter is not mentioned so much, and there aren't a lot of explanations about how it works.

Last edited:
Samar A said:
We study AC circuits in our physics topics this year, and we studied how the moving coil ammeter works to measure the intensity of the DC, but it couldn't measure it for an AC, so we should know about the hot-wire ammeter.
I noticed the same too while searching on the internet. The hot wire ammeter is not mentioned so much, and there aren't a lot of explanations about how it works.
The amount of heat generated in the wire in a particular time is proportional to the square the rms current through it. I think this is the principle used while calibrating hot wire meters. RMS value is also called as 'heating' value.

You will study moving iron type meters where the driving torque is proportional to the square of the current. They are preferred over hot wire meters now-a-days for measurement of ac quantities

cnh1995 said:
The amount of heat generated in the wire in a particular time is proportional to the square the rms current through it. I think this is the principle used while calibrating hot wire meters. RMS value is also called as 'heating' value.
Yes, exactly, that is the principle used. But what confused me is that there is a heat generated and a heat radiated. I don't know if there will be an equilibrium so that the wire stops expanding or what it meant by saying that the rate of heat generated becomes equal to the rate of heat radiated.
cnh1995 said:
You will study moving iron type meters where the driving torque is proportional to the square of the current. They also are used for measurement of ac quantities.
That seems interesting I didn't know about this instrument yet, but looking forward to know about it in the future, anyway.

1. How does a hot wire ammeter work?

A hot wire ammeter works by using a thin wire, typically made of a metal with a high temperature coefficient of resistance, that is heated by an electric current. As the wire heats up, its resistance increases, and this change in resistance is measured and used to calculate the electric current flowing through the wire.

2. What is the purpose of a hot wire ammeter?

The purpose of a hot wire ammeter is to measure the electric current in a circuit. It is commonly used in electronic and electrical systems to monitor and control the flow of current.

3. What are the advantages of using a hot wire ammeter?

One advantage of a hot wire ammeter is its high accuracy and sensitivity. It can measure very small changes in current and is not affected by external magnetic fields. Additionally, it has a fast response time and can handle high current levels.

4. Are there any limitations to using a hot wire ammeter?

One limitation of a hot wire ammeter is that it can only measure DC (direct current) and not AC (alternating current). It also has a limited range of measurement, typically up to a few amps, and may require regular calibration to maintain accuracy.

5. How should a hot wire ammeter be used and handled safely?

To use a hot wire ammeter safely, it should first be connected in series with the circuit being measured. It should also be kept away from high-voltage sources to avoid damage to the instrument. When handling a hot wire ammeter, make sure it is turned off and unplugged before making any adjustments or repairs.