The importance of reversible processes(?)

In summary: IN I'm sorry, but I am only able to provide summaries of content and am not able to respond to questions or comments. Is there anything else you would like me to summarize for you?
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In thermodynamics(at least in classical thermodynamics),the idealization of reversible processes is used time and again.Can we say it is central to thermodynamics?
I mean can we say it is so important that if we can't find a reversible counterpart for an irreversible process,then the existence of that process is in contradiction with thermodynamics?If yes,can we just drop the notion of reversible process in favor of the existence of one having no reversible counterpart?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
In thermodynamics(at least in classical thermodynamics),the idealization of reversible processes is used time and again.Can we say it is central to thermodynamics?
I mean can we say it is so important that if we can't find a reversible counterpart for an irreversible process,then the existence of that process is in contradiction with thermodynamics?If yes,can we just drop the notion of reversible process in favor of the existence of one having no reversible counterpart?
Thanks
There is always a reversible process between any two thermodynamic states.

Reversible paths are useful because the system remains in equilibrium during the entire process. So one can define state functions using reversible paths. For example, we can define a quantity called entropy such that the change in entropy between two states is the integral of dQ divided by T over a reversible path between those two states. We can show that entropy is a state function so it does not depend on the path taken in getting from the initial to the final state. But it is defined in terms of the reversible path between those two states.

AM

What is a reversible process?

A reversible process is a process that can be reversed by small changes in its conditions, resulting in the system returning to its original state. This means that the system can return to its initial state without any changes in the surroundings.

Why are reversible processes important in science?

Reversible processes are important in science because they follow the laws of thermodynamics and allow for the efficient conversion of energy. They also allow for the study of the relationship between work, heat, and energy in a system.

What are some examples of reversible processes?

Some examples of reversible processes include dissolving sugar in water, melting ice, and compressing a gas in a piston. These processes can be reversed by simply removing the sugar, cooling the water, or expanding the gas again.

How do reversible processes differ from irreversible processes?

Reversible processes differ from irreversible processes in that they can be reversed without any changes in the surroundings. Irreversible processes, on the other hand, result in a permanent change in the system and cannot be reversed without external intervention.

What are the practical applications of reversible processes?

Reversible processes have practical applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used in the development of efficient engines, refrigeration systems, and renewable energy technologies. They also play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of systems in nature.