The Joy of Processing - Comments

In summary, jedishrfu submitted a new PF Insights post discussing the versatility and platform agnostic nature of Processing, a programming language that allows for easy development of games and simulations. The conversation also touches on the availability of different libraries and modes for various languages, as well as the book "The Nature of Code" which explores the use of Processing for simulating natural systems.
jedishrfu submitted a new PF Insights post

The Joy of Processing
processing.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes commodorekitty, QuantumQuest, jim mcnamara and 6 others
Technology news on Phys.org
Now do this with OpenGL.

Likes jedishrfu and Greg Bernhardt
Very interesting, thanks Jedi!

I run out of fingers and toes when trying to count the number of languages and interface crud like CICS that I've been required to learn to do a project. This looks to be more platform agnostic than most things I've seen. Is it at all practical for multiplatform deployment? Or do the extension libraries include all kinds of platform/language specific stuff - example: using PCRE versus another RE engine for regular expressions?

One can still make interesting games with BASIC. Here is a great example in QBASIC

jim mcnamara said:
I run out of fingers and toes when trying to count the number of languages and interface crud like CICS that I've been required to learn to do a project. This looks to be more platform agnostic than most things I've seen. Is it at all practical for multiplatform deployment? Or do the extension libraries include all kinds of platform/language specific stuff - example: using PCRE versus another RE engine for regular expressions?
In Processing you select the mode and it switches over to the appropriate libraries, examples...

Java mode is there by default with the most library / example support.

Python (actually jython) has less stuff but since its actually jython it too can utilize java libraries pretty seamlessly.

Javascript though is in its own world, there are libraries and examples but not as many as Java. Its big feature is that it can create a web page that you can draw on and add other html/javascript stuff to but you have to know how to do it.

The Processing folks do say you can create a mode for a language but you need to use Eclipse and understand their plugin scheme which I have yet to figure out.

I wanted to add Clojure, Scala and Groovy to the mix but just don't have the time or patience.

The editor isn't as great as some of the popular editors. It doesn't have the . expansion feature like Eclipse of netbeans so you can locate the appropriate method for a given object instance.

Greg Bernhardt said:
One can still make interesting games with BASIC. Here is a great example in QBASIC

Where's the example?

jedishrfu said:
Where's the example?

Game in the video, Black Annex ?

Buffu said:
Game in the video, Black Annex ?

Interesting I saw Greg's post on my iPhone with no video showing and now I see there's a video link when on my PC.

This is interesting. I am going to have to try some of these.

Processing is what got me interested in programming, back when I was in the liberal arts. Have you seen http://natureofcode.com/ ? It is a book (the book is on the website, too) that "focuses on the programming strategies and techniques behind computer simulations of natural systems using Processing."

I've seen references to the book and some of its code in the examples directories of Processing but never got a chance to peruse it. However, now that you mention the simulations aspect, I will definitely check it out.

I do have the Processing hardcover book titled Processing by Fry and Reas and it's quite interesting too. It moves Processing from being a cute toy to a serious development environment that is deceptively simple.

What is "The Joy of Processing - Comments"?

"The Joy of Processing - Comments" is a computer programming language used for creating visual and interactive art. It is based on the Java programming language and is designed to be easy to learn and use.

How is "The Joy of Processing - Comments" used in scientific research?

"The Joy of Processing - Comments" is used in scientific research for data visualization and analysis. It allows scientists to create interactive and visually appealing representations of their data, making it easier to interpret and communicate their findings.

What are some benefits of using "The Joy of Processing - Comments" in scientific research?

One of the main benefits of using "The Joy of Processing - Comments" in scientific research is its flexibility and versatility. It can be used for a wide range of applications, from visualizing complex data sets to creating simulations and models. Additionally, its user-friendly interface makes it accessible to scientists with varying levels of programming experience.

Are there any drawbacks to using "The Joy of Processing - Comments" in scientific research?

Some potential drawbacks of using "The Joy of Processing - Comments" in scientific research include its reliance on the Java programming language, which may not be suitable for all research environments, and its limited capabilities for handling large data sets. Additionally, since it is a relatively new language, there may be a learning curve for scientists unfamiliar with it.

How can someone get started with "The Joy of Processing - Comments"?

To get started with "The Joy of Processing - Comments", one can download the software for free from its official website. There are also numerous online tutorials and resources available for learning the language, making it accessible for beginners. Additionally, joining online communities and attending workshops and conferences can provide opportunities for collaboration and learning from experienced users.