The Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics of a particle moving in a manifold

In summary, the conversation is about a problem posted on the Classical Mechanics Subforum regarding a particle of mass 'm' moving in a manifold with a given Lagrangian. The question is to find the Equation of Motion, and in order to do so, the expression {\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{x^{i}}} needs to be evaluated. However, there is no term in x^i in the Lagrangian, which is only a function of the velocity \dot{x}^i. The answer to the question is given, which includes the expression {\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{x^{i}}}= \frac{m}{2} {\partial}_i g_{jk
vertices
I posted this problem on the Classical Mechanics Subforum last week but have not received many responses - hopefully someone can help here as I've spent hours racking my brain, trying to work this out!

Homework Statement

There is a particle of mass 'm' moving in a manifold with the following Lagrangian:

[tex]
L={\frac{m}{2}}{g_{ij}(x)}.{\dot{x^{i}}{\dot{x^{j} }
[/tex]

where

[tex]
ds^{2}=g_{ij}(x)dx^{i}dx^{j}
[/tex]

is the metric on M.

The question is to find the Equation of Motion - I need to work out:

[tex]
{\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{x^{i}}}
[/tex]

in order to do this.

Homework Equations

To find EOM we need to set the the follow expression to 0:

[tex]
{\delta}A=\int{dt[{\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{x^{i}}}dx^{i}+\frac {{\partial}L}{{\partial}\dot{x^{i}}}d{\dot{x^{i}}]}=0
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It took me a while but I understand why:

[tex]
\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}\dot{x^{i}}}=mg_ {ij}x^{j}
[/tex]

So that's fine.

Now I need to evaluate:

[tex]
{\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{x^{i}}}
[/tex]

The issue is there is no term in [tex]x^i[/tex] (the position) in the Lagrangian - it is only a function of the velocity [tex] \dot{x}^i[/tex]. And also, why is [tex]g_{ij} = g_{ij}(x)[/tex] - ie. a function of x - as I understand it, it is just a matrix of dim M with diag(-1,1,1,1,1,...).

FYI - the answer to my question should be:

[tex]{\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{x^{i}}}=
\frac{m}{2} {\partial}_i g_{jk} \dot{x}^{j}\dot{x}^{k} - ({\partial}_k g_{ij}) \dot{x}^{k}\dot{x}^{j}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the Powers That Be on this forum would rather you keep it there:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=366151
(unless it has been a homework problem all along, then it should have been posted here in the first place...) I'll take it up on that other thread.

Related to The Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics of a particle moving in a manifold

1. What is the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics of a particle moving in a manifold?

The Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics of a particle moving in a manifold is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a particle in a curved space, or a manifold. It is based on the principles of classical mechanics and uses the concepts of energy, momentum, and forces to determine the trajectory of the particle.

2. How is the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics different from Newtonian mechanics?

The Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics differs from Newtonian mechanics in that it takes into account the curvature of space, while Newtonian mechanics assumes a flat space. Additionally, the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian approach uses generalized coordinates and velocities, while Newtonian mechanics uses Cartesian coordinates and velocities.

3. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian approach?

The Lagrangian/Hamiltonian approach has several advantages, including its ability to handle complex systems and its applicability to both conservative and non-conservative systems. It also provides a more elegant and concise mathematical description of the system compared to Newtonian mechanics.

4. Can the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics be applied to systems with multiple particles?

Yes, the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics can be extended to systems with multiple particles by adding the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian of each individual particle to obtain the total Lagrangian/Hamiltonian of the system. This allows for the study of the collective behavior of particles in a manifold.

5. How is the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics used in practical applications?

The Lagrangian/Hamiltonian dynamics has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used in the study of celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in control theory, robotics, and optimization problems.