How to Calculate Laplace Transform of a Complex Fraction

• Thread starter fabsuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplace
It looks a lot messier!In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving the Laplace transform of a complex function. The person has been struggling for 2 days and is having trouble with completing the square in the denominator. They are also unsure of how to handle the imaginary numbers in the partial fraction method. They are seeking clarification on how to use the inverse Laplace transform for functions with imaginary numbers. Another person suggests using a table of Laplace transforms for real and complex numbers, and provides an example using both methods to demonstrate the solution.
fabsuk
Hello
can someone please help I've been struggling on this problem for 2 days now.

question is calculate the laplace transform of

F(P)= 1-P divided by P(squared) + 4P +13

I realize you have to complete the square as denominator is complex

When i complete the square i get (P+2) (all squared)+ 3(squared)

But i can't seem to get the top values of my new partial fraction and I am not sure what to do after as I've never come across one of this type before.

Sorry about the notation but this website won't accept an underline

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fabsuk said:
Hello
can someone please help I've been struggling on this problem for 2 days now.

question is calculate the laplace transform of

F(P)= 1-P divided by P(squared) + 4P +13

I realize you have to complete the square as denominator is complex

When i complete the square i get (P+2) (all squared)+ 3(squared)

But i can't seem to get the top values of my new partial fraction and I am not sure what to do after as I've never come across one of this type before.

Sorry about the notation but this website won't accept an underline

Need a confirmation first. Is your function
[tex]F(P)=\frac{1-P}{P^2+4P+13}[/tex] or
[tex]F(P)=1-\frac{P}{P^2+4P+13}[/tex]?

-Dan
(Left-click on one of the equations to see how to write it.)

Its the top one.

[tex]F(P)=\frac{1-P}{P^2+4P+13}[/tex]

Im also having problem with a laplace differential equation where I get to this point. i don't know how to do a partial fraction with imaginary numbers.

[tex]Y{(P^2+p-5)}= \frac{1}{P-2} + p+ 3 [/tex]

It the same as for real numbers, only that so-called irreduceable quadratics are not so, for example:

[tex]F(P)=\frac{1-P}{P^2+4P+13}=\frac{1-P}{(P+2+3i)(P+2-3i)}=\frac{A}{P+2+3i}+\frac{B}{P+2-3i}[/tex]

cross-multiply to get

[tex]1-P=A(P+2-3i)+B(P+2+3i)[/tex]

Now plug-in nice values for P to solve for A and B, best choices for P are [tex]P=-2\pm 3i[/tex] (the zeros of the factors):

the value [tex]P=-2+3i[/tex] gives

[tex]3-3i=0+6iB\Rightarrow B=\frac{3-3i}{6i}=-\frac{1}{2}(1+i)[/tex]

and the value [tex]P=-2-3i[/tex] gives

[tex]3+3i=-6iA+0\Rightarrow A=\frac{3+3i}{-6i}=\frac{1}{2}(-1+i)[/tex]

and hence

[tex]F(P)=\frac{1-P}{P^2+4P+13}=\frac{1-P}{(P+2+3i)(P+2-3i)}=\frac{1}{2}\left[ \frac{-1+i}{P+2+3i}-\frac{1+i}{P+2-3i}\right] [/tex]

Last edited:
If you want to stay in real numbers- don't use partial fractions. Your table of Laplace transforms should have one that gives [itex]\frac{1}{s^2+ a^2}[/itex] and one that gives [itex]\frac{s}{s^2+ a^2}[/itex].

I understand now clearly what benorin has done where u put in nice values for p and it follows very clearly but is it does not seem possible to do an inverse transform at that point hence i completed the square but i can't seem to use that method either

[tex]F(P)=\frac{1-P}{P^2+4P+13}=\frac{?}{((P+2)^2) + (3^2)}=\frac{A}{P+2+3i}+\frac{B}{P+2-3i}[/tex]

If u don't put it in partial fractions then what do u do?

BTW i sorted out the other problem

How do u take inverse transformations with i's in them

e,g

[tex]\frac{1}{2(a+p)}+\frac{1}{4(a+p-2bi)}+\frac{1}{4(a+p+2bi)}[/tex]

Clearling up these points would i think clear up my problems in laplace.Any ideas

Last edited:
Check out the http://www.eecircle.com/applets/007/ILaplace.html

Check out what HallsofIvy wrote, for that is your solution.

i understand that you have to use the tables but i don't understand how u use them with complex components.As i said i know u have to complete the square but i just can't get it and looking at the answer just gets me angry.:mad:

AS i said I've been trying for ages now
the other example to clarify things would be helpful as well.Im stuck!

Inverse Laplace transforms via rean & complex methods

The real variable method (what HallsofIvy suggested):

Notation: Suppose that [tex]\ell \{ f(t) \}=F(P)[/tex] is the Laplace transform of f(t), so that [tex]\ell ^{-1} \{ F(P) \}=f(t)[/tex] is the inverse Laplace transform of F(P).

Work: From

[tex]F(P)=\frac{1-P}{P^2+4P+13},[/tex]

write

[tex]\ell ^{-1} \{ F(P)\} =\ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{1-P}{P^2+4P+13}\right\} = \ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{1-P}{(P+2)^2+9}\right\} = \ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{3-(P+2)}{(P+2)^2+3^2}\right\} [/tex]
[tex]=\ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{3}{(P+2)^2+3^2}-\frac{P+2}{(P+2)^2+3^2}\right\} = \ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{3}{(P+2)^2+3^2}\right\}-\ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{P+2}{(P+2)^2+3^2}\right\} [/tex]
[tex] = e^{-2t}\ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{3}{P^2+3^2}\right\}-e^{-2t}\ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{P}{P^2+3^2}\right\}[/tex]

since [tex] \ell ^{-1} \left\{ F(P-a)\right\} = e^{at}\ell ^{-1} \left\{ F(P)\right\}, [/tex] continuing on we have

[tex] \ell ^{-1} \{ F(P)\}= e^{-2t}\ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{3}{P^2+3^2}\right\}-e^{-2t}\ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{P}{P^2+3^2}\right\} = e^{-2t}\sin{3t} - e^{-2t}\cos{3t} ,[/tex]

where the inverse transforms of sin and cos are off the table.

In conclusion,

[tex]\boxed{ \ell ^{-1} \{ F(P)\}= e^{-2t}\left( \sin{3t} - \cos{3t}\right) }[/tex]​

The complex variable/partial fraction decomposition method (continuing my eariler post): From

[tex]F(P) = \frac{1-P}{P^2+4P+13} = \frac{1-P}{(P+2+3i)(P+2-3i)} = \frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{-1+i}{P+2+3i}-\frac{1+i}{P+2-3i}\right) [/tex]

write

[tex]\ell ^{-1} \{ F(P)\} = \ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{1}{2}\left[ \frac{-1+i}{P-(-2-3i)}-\frac{1+i}{P-(-2+3i)}\right] \right\}[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{1}{2} \ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{-1+i}{P-(-2-3i)} \right\} -\frac{1}{2} \ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{1+i}{P-(-2+3i)}\right\} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{-1+i}{2} \ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{1}{P-(-2-3i)} \right\} -\frac{1+i}{2} \ell ^{-1} \left\{ \frac{1}{P-(-2+3i)}\right\}[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{-1+i}{2} e^{(-2-3i)t} -\frac{1+i}{2} e^{(-2+3i)t} = \frac{-1+i}{2} e^{-2t}e^{-3it} -\frac{1+i}{2} e^{-2t}e^{3it}[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{e^{-2t}}{2}\left[ (-1+i) e^{-3it} -(1+i)e^{3it}\right] = \frac{1}{2}e^{-2t}\left[ -(e^{3it} +e^{-3it}) -i(e^{3it} -e^{-3it}) \right] [/tex]
[tex] = e^{-2t}\left[ -\frac{e^{3it} +e^{-3it}}{2} +\frac{e^{3it} -e^{-3it}}{2i} \right] = e^{-2t}\left( -\cos{3t} +\sin{3t}\right) [/tex]

So, in conclusion, except for the sign error I'm hoping someone will spot for me, we have

[tex]\boxed{ \ell ^{-1} \{ F(P)\} = e^{-2t}\left( -\cos{3t} +\sin{3t}\right) }[/tex]​

Last edited:
I will spot you,
It should be -cos and i now see how you bracket things

Does anybody know about step functions with laplace as again I am lost

let LT of the function g(t) is L(G) = G(p).
Calculate the Lt of the function

f(t)= g(t-a) t>a>0
0, t<a

Help me get started i can't find any other examples like it.PLEASE

PF resources for learning LaTeX Math Typesetting

This thread will help: PF's Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting

An extremely useful excerpt:

chroot said:
A pdf file of the most useful LaTeX commands, symbols, and constructs is provided here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

More symbol reference:

http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/Symbols.pdf

A bit more information on the amsmath package is available here:

http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~dunbar/docs/amsldoc.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean:

for [tex]g(t):=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }t\leq 0\\1, & \mbox{ if } t>0\end{array}\right.[/tex]

put [tex]f(t)=g(t-a)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }t\leq a\\1, & \mbox{ if } t>a\end{array}\right.[/tex] ?

BTW, It looks better like this:

[tex]\mbox{For } g(t):=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }t\leq 0\\1, & \mbox{ if } t>0\end{array}\right. \mbox{, put }f(t):=g(t-a)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }t\leq a\\1, & \mbox{ if } t>a\end{array}\right. ?[/tex]

Last edited:
If so, here it goes...

For a>0,

[tex]\mathfrak{L}\{ f(t)\} = \mathfrak{L}\{ g(t-a)\} = e^{-ap}\mathfrak{L}\{ g(t)\} [/tex]

oops, gives up to much.

fabsuk said:
I will spot you,
It should be -cos and i now see how you bracket things

Thanks, I found it and fixed it.

What is the Laplace Transform and why is it important?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is important because it allows us to solve differential equations, which are common in many scientific fields, more easily.

What is the difference between the Laplace Transform and the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency, while the Inverse Laplace Transform does the opposite - it converts a function of complex frequency back into a function of time.

What types of functions can be transformed using the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform can be applied to a wide range of functions, including polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and piecewise-defined functions. It is a very flexible tool.

Can the Laplace Transform be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, the Laplace Transform is most useful for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It may not be effective for nonlinear or variable coefficient equations.

What are some practical applications of the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is commonly used in control systems, signal processing, circuit analysis, and in the study of vibrations and oscillations.