1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The mean lifetime of muons

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am doing an experiment where I try to the determine the mean lifetime of muons. I collected enough data and I put it in a histogram (attached file), but I have no idea how to calculate the mean lifetime with this.

2. Relevant equations
    y(t)=Ne^(-t/τ), where τ is the mean lifetime and N the initial amount of muons

3. The attempt at a solution
    I plotted a trendline in excel and got a line with the formula y=-4.85ln(x)+10.637, which wasn't very helpful.
    Because the histogram shows the amount of muons that decays and not the amount of muons left I thought I should use dy/dt=Ne^(-t/τ)*(-1/τ), but this hasn't gotten me any closer either.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Flix, welcome to PF :smile:

This fitted line has a slope for ln(y) . Did you check what you expect for the slope of the line obtained when plotting ln(dy/dt) ?

4. Mar 5, 2015 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The counts is in effect the activity, A, of the sample.
    The mean life of the muons is the inverse of the decay constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted