The minimum radius of a plane's circular path

In summary, a pilot flying a stunt airplane with a mass of 82 kg and a constant speed of 540 km/h must maintain a minimum radius of 3.3 x 10^2 m in their circular path to avoid exceeding an acceleration of 7.0g at the lowest point. This is calculated by finding the net force acting on the plane (Fn - Fg), which is equal to the product of mass and acceleration (ma), and then using it in the equation for centripetal force (mv^2/r), where r is the radius. The normal force (n) of the pilot is calculated by adding the force of gravity (mg) and the centripetal force (ma) together. This results
shootingrubbe

Homework Statement

An 82 kg pilot flying a stunt airplane pulls out of a dive at a constant speed of 540 km/h.
a) What is the minimum radius of the plane's circular path if the pilot's acceleration at the lowest point is not to exceed 7.0g.

Homework Equations

Fg = mg
Fnet = mv^2/r
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

At the lowest point I said that there were only 2 forces acting on the plane: Fg and I said Fn for the upward lift on the plane.

m=82 kg
v=540 km/h=150 m/s
a=7.0g

Fnet = mv^2/r=ma
Fnet = Fn - Fg = ma
Fnet = (82 kg)(7 x 9.8 N/kg) - (82 kg)(9.8 N/kg)
= 4821.6 N = mv^2/r
4821.6 N = [(82 kg)(150 m/s)^2]/r
r=[(82 kg)(150 m/s)^2]/4821.6 N
= 382.65 m
= 3.8 x 10^2 m

The answer is actually 3.3 x 10^2 m... The book is sometimes wrong though.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you did (your calculations are a bit messy), but here are the two equations I derived:

[tex]n= m(g+a_{y}) = 6435.36 N[/tex]

[tex] r = \frac{mv^{2}}{n-mg} = \frac{(82)(150^{2})}{6435.36-(82)(9.81)} = 3.27 \cdot 10^{2} \, m[/tex]

Vykan12 said:
I'm not sure what you did (your calculations are a bit messy), but here are the two equations I derived:

[tex]n= m(g+a_{y}) = 6435.36 N[/tex]

[tex] r = \frac{mv^{2}}{n-mg} = \frac{(82)(150^{2})}{6435.36-(82)(9.81)} = 3.27 \cdot 10^{2} \, m[/tex]

That's essentially what I did, but I thought that the net force was Fn - Fg... How come it is Fn + Fg?

Attached is what I thought the FBD should look like.

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 718
[tex] F_{net} = n - mg = ma \iff n = mg + ma = m(g+a)[/tex]

Vykan12 said:
[tex] F_{net} = n - mg = ma \iff n = mg + ma = m(g+a)[/tex]

What's n? I think we use different symbols where I take this course...

n is the normal force of the pilot.

Vykan12 said:
n is the normal force of the pilot.

Ok, that's what I thought... Thanks.

1. What is the minimum radius of a plane's circular path?

The minimum radius of a plane's circular path is the smallest distance from the center of the circle to the outer edge of the plane's path. It is an important factor in determining the safety and maneuverability of a plane's flight.

2. How is the minimum radius of a plane's circular path calculated?

The minimum radius of a plane's circular path is calculated using the formula v^2/g, where v is the speed of the plane in meters per second and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second squared). This formula takes into account the centripetal force required to keep the plane in a circular path.

3. Why is the minimum radius of a plane's circular path important?

The minimum radius of a plane's circular path is important because it determines the amount of space needed for a plane to safely turn and maneuver in the air. A smaller minimum radius means the plane can make tighter turns, while a larger minimum radius means the plane needs more space to turn.

4. How does the weight of a plane affect its minimum radius of a circular path?

The weight of a plane does not directly affect its minimum radius of a circular path. However, a heavier plane may require more centripetal force to maintain a circular path, which can affect the minimum radius. Additionally, the weight of a plane may affect its speed, which can also impact the minimum radius.

5. Can a plane fly below its minimum radius of a circular path?

No, a plane cannot fly below its minimum radius of a circular path. If a plane tries to make a turn with a smaller radius than its minimum, it will not have enough centripetal force and will lose altitude or enter a stall. This can be dangerous and cause the plane to crash.