The most depressing movie ever

In summary, "Requiem for a Dream" is a very depressing movie that may not be suitable for some viewers. However, it is an excellent film that is worth watching.
One of them has got to be "Brian's Song" another "Romeo and Juliette" - I much prefer happy, adventurous, or sci fi though.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh yeah, the bad lieutenant with harvey keitel is another good (or bad) one

Danger said:
"The Exorcist" made me very sad, but only due my shocked disbelief that anyone would pay money to watch it. That film was pretty much the turn-around point of society's spiral into stupidity.

Which one? The original?

It's not fair to watch a film decades old through modern-day-coloured glasses.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a very well done but very drepressing movie
The ending scenes of Schindler's List and American History X

Movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113540/" [Broken] was extremely depressing

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Which one? The original?

It's not fair to watch a film decades old through modern-day-coloured glasses.

:bugeye:
I hope to hell that your aren't saying that someone did a remake! ****, man, the first one was bad enough.
And my assessment was on-the-spot, not a retrospective view. My friend and I were threatened with removal from the theatre by a usher because we couldn't stop laughing during the movie. I actually spewed cola through my nose when Linda puked the pea soup on the priest.

Danger said:
Different critters entirely. "The Exorcist", like "The Amityville Horror" later on, was total ******** advertised as a true story.

Well, the Amityville horror was based on a hoax, and the Exorcist was not based on a single story. But to suggest that the notion of exorcism, or the idea of possession, was invented in the early 1970's, is pretty silly. In fact the primary story on which it was based took place in 1949.

Neither one ever happened, and yet to this day nobody involved in the productions admits that they were pure fiction.

The people involved in the production of the movies were not the source of the claims.

George Romero's stuff, along with blobs, werewolves, etc. were marketed as escapism, and served that role quite well.

edit: And once again the forum software replaced "bovine excrement" with asterisks. That is becoming annoying.

As opposed to movies about Custer, Lincoln, or almost any significant event in US history? I will have to put on some Beatles albums, take some LSD, tune in, turn on, drop out, chant while playing my satar, and think about that one for a bit. I'm sure the ghost of Timothy Leary will provide some guidance here.

Ivan Seeking said:
As opposed to movies about Custer, Lincoln, or almost any significant event in US history?

What on Earth possesses you to think that a Canadian could possibly give a **** about any of those?

Danger said:
And my assessment was on-the-spot, not a retrospective view.

What I mean is: did you see it recently, or in the 70's?

The same thing could be said about Jaws, if you look at it through 21st-century eyes.

I'd rate "Magnolia" as the most depressing movie I've seen.

"Hotel Rwanda" would probably rank second.

"Charlie" and "On the Beach" rank up there, as well.

If you expand from feature movies to documentary movies, then "Siege of Leningrad" has to be on the list. What a horrible experience for an entire city to go through! The documentary is very moving. It's kind of choppy since it's the compilation of several real life short films documenting the siege, but the choppiness just adds to the mood. Edward Murrow did the English language narration for the documentary.

Looking for the link, I just noticed there is a recent independent feature film about the siege: "Leningrad". That looks like it might be interesting.

the wrestler and schindler`s list are at the top for me

What Dreams May Come.

It is on my Movie List, under the heading:

"Movies to see if you want your heart pulled out of the your chest, tossed on the floor and stomped on."

I kid you not. It really is.

precious was pretty depressing too now that I think of it.

Ladder 49 (2004), Angels in America (2003) single best movie I ever saw. What Dreams May Come (1998) is very disturbing and thought provoking. And there was one about the trade center collapse that I remember I bawled all the way through, especially when a trapped fire fighter look up and saw Jesus.

I agree with On the Beach, both versions, and would like to nominate Betty Blue.

Oh yeah, and I Am Legend (2007), which I am watching for the second time in a row because I am allowed to watch tv and play on the computer on this day because I have depression. So I Am Legend twice in a row is making me feel wowie terrific. :frown: They also tied up our block (all the way around and the park for weeks to make that movie and no one I know even saw Will Smith.) Several of us got parts as extras though. No one from my building had to wear any makeup. :redface: :yuck:

Lacy33 said:
What Dreams May Come (1998) is very disturbing and thought provoking.

What is your fascination with Robin Williams?

<h2>What makes "The most depressing movie ever" so depressing?</h2><p>The most depressing movie ever is typically considered to be a film that elicits strong feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and despair in its viewers. This can be achieved through a combination of factors such as a tragic storyline, relatable characters, and emotional performances.</p><h2>What are some examples of "The most depressing movie ever"?</h2><p>Some commonly cited examples of the most depressing movie ever include "Schindler's List," "Grave of the Fireflies," "Requiem for a Dream," and "The Green Mile." However, this can be subjective and different viewers may have different opinions on what constitutes the most depressing movie ever.</p><h2>Why do people choose to watch "The most depressing movie ever"?</h2><p>People may choose to watch the most depressing movie ever for a variety of reasons. Some may be drawn to the emotional intensity and catharsis that comes with watching a sad film. Others may be intrigued by the critical acclaim and cultural significance of these movies.</p><h2>Is it healthy to watch "The most depressing movie ever"?</h2><p>It is generally not recommended to watch the most depressing movie ever if you are feeling vulnerable or struggling with mental health issues. However, for those who are emotionally stable, watching a sad film can provide a safe outlet for exploring difficult emotions and can even lead to personal growth and reflection.</p><h2>How do filmmakers create a movie that is considered "The most depressing movie ever"?</h2><p>Filmmakers may use a variety of techniques to create a movie that is considered the most depressing ever. This can include using a somber color palette, slow pacing, and tragic plot twists. They may also incorporate themes of loss, grief, and hopelessness to evoke strong emotions in the audience.</p>

What makes "The most depressing movie ever" so depressing?

The most depressing movie ever is typically considered to be a film that elicits strong feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and despair in its viewers. This can be achieved through a combination of factors such as a tragic storyline, relatable characters, and emotional performances.

What are some examples of "The most depressing movie ever"?

Some commonly cited examples of the most depressing movie ever include "Schindler's List," "Grave of the Fireflies," "Requiem for a Dream," and "The Green Mile." However, this can be subjective and different viewers may have different opinions on what constitutes the most depressing movie ever.

Why do people choose to watch "The most depressing movie ever"?

People may choose to watch the most depressing movie ever for a variety of reasons. Some may be drawn to the emotional intensity and catharsis that comes with watching a sad film. Others may be intrigued by the critical acclaim and cultural significance of these movies.

Is it healthy to watch "The most depressing movie ever"?

It is generally not recommended to watch the most depressing movie ever if you are feeling vulnerable or struggling with mental health issues. However, for those who are emotionally stable, watching a sad film can provide a safe outlet for exploring difficult emotions and can even lead to personal growth and reflection.

How do filmmakers create a movie that is considered "The most depressing movie ever"?

Filmmakers may use a variety of techniques to create a movie that is considered the most depressing ever. This can include using a somber color palette, slow pacing, and tragic plot twists. They may also incorporate themes of loss, grief, and hopelessness to evoke strong emotions in the audience.