The Mystery of the e Series: Uncovering Its Name

In summary, the series 1/1!+2/2!+3/3!... does not have a specific name, but it is the evaluation of the Taylor series for e^x at x = 1, also known as the MacLauren series. It is proven to be equal to e, and can be calculated faster than using other methods such as (1+1/n)^n.
LENIN
I just wonder what's the name of the serries 1/1!+2/2!+3/3!... I know it equals e but I just whant to know how it's called.

PS. Titels of good books abot serries would allso be welcome.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]\displaystyle e=\sum \limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n!}[/tex], if I remember correctly.
What are you interested in learning about series?
Most series, as far as I know, don't have names.

Last edited:
Exercise: prove the series written in the first two posts are the same!

I don't think this particular series has a name. However, it is the evaluation of the Taylor series for e^x at x = 1, or more specifically, the MacLauren series.

Hurkyl, they are not the same. The series in the first post was
[tex]\frac{1}{1!}+ \frac{2}{2!}+ \frac{3}{3!}+...= 1+ 1+ \frac{1}{2!}+ ...[/tex]
and so is e+ 1, not e.

They're both e.

[tex]e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle e=\sum \limits_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n!}=\frac{1}{0!}+\frac{1}{1!}+\frac{1}{2!}\ldots=1+1+\frac{1}{2!}+\ldots[/tex]

They really are both e. I tried to prove thath and I think I maneged to prove that they are equal for very large n, where 1/n is almost equal to 0. It's actualy qouit easy to do it with the use of the binomical expresion.

PS. But I still don't get it why it's so much fester to do it with a series. When you get to the 13'th element (13/13!) it's allready excet to 10 digits. But if you do it as (1+1/n) on n, you have to use a very large n to get such an excet figure. Why is that?

PPS. Thanks for the info Hurkley.

What? I'm wrong? Moi?? Oh, blast, I started my series with n=1 instead of n= 0!

Related to The Mystery of the e Series: Uncovering Its Name

1. What is the e Series and why is it a mystery?

The e Series refers to a mathematical constant known as Euler's number, which is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is considered a mystery because its name, "e", is not an abbreviation or acronym like most mathematical constants, and its origin is not entirely clear.

2. Who discovered the e Series and how?

The e Series was discovered by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. He first encountered the constant while studying compound interest problems, and later defined it as the base of the natural logarithm.

3. What is the significance of the e Series in mathematics?

The e Series has many important applications in mathematics, particularly in calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis. It also appears in various scientific and engineering fields, such as physics and economics, due to its connection to exponential growth and decay.

4. How do we know that "e" is the correct name for this constant?

While the exact origin of the name "e" is uncertain, it is believed to have been chosen by Euler himself. He originally referred to the constant as "b", but later switched to "e" in his publications. This name has been widely accepted and used ever since.

5. Are there any ongoing efforts to solve the mystery of the e Series?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to better understand the origins of the e Series and its significance in mathematics. Some researchers have proposed alternative explanations for the name "e" and its connection to Euler, but no definitive answer has been reached. It remains a fascinating and intriguing topic for mathematicians and historians alike.