Is Darkness Really the Opposite of Light?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: Spaghetti Monster is light, so the opposite of light is the great fork of evilIn summary, darkness is the opposite of light.

What's the opposite of light?

• Darkness

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Heavy

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Light is its own antiparticle.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Fang!

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
Char. Limit
Gold Member
When I ask "what's the opposite of light", what's the first answer that comes to your mind?

Physics news on Phys.org
The obvious answers is "it depends how you define light to begin with".

If we're talking about the weight of an object I won't be thinking of darkness.

Off the top of my head, I'd say 'Darkness'. Purely because it's on my mind more than weight.

I thought, "The opposite of an electromagnetic wave...whaaaa :confused:?" Seriously.

the opposite of light is light of a pi/2 phase shift.

The first thing that came to mind was "not light". Then it tried to narrow things down, but hit a snag and had to reboot.

Last edited:
The question doesn't make sense to me unles you take "light" as an adjective. So the only two answers it could be is dark or heavy.

I don't think you can have an opposite of an object?

middlj said:
The question doesn't make sense to me unles you take "light" as an adjective. So the only two answers it could be is dark or heavy.

I don't think you can have an opposite of an object?

in my mind "opposite" means the sum of two things add to zero.

So my definition is correct :biggrin:

stasis

Call me shallow, darkness was the first word that came to mind.

pergradus said:
in my mind "opposite" means the sum of two things add to zero.

So my definition is correct :biggrin:

touché

I guess I'm in a sciency state of mind since I didn't understand the answer "heavy" until I thought about it.

A black hole... :rolleyes:

Dark is the first thing that came to mind, followed by criticism and skepticism that light has an opposite in the first place.

[tex]ds^2 \ne 0[/tex]

Damn it, read the stupid poll wrong.

Last edited:
In my house I can turn on the lights with the flicks of some switches and I can turn on the darks with the opposite flicks of the same switches.

(All experiments on light must be done in the dark.Was it that geezer Goethe who said that?)

Dadface said:
(All experiments on light must be done in the dark.Was it that geezer Goethe who said that?)

:smile:

More than likely.

I'd add I read that last part with a hard East London accent!

Pythagorean said:
criticism and skepticism that light has an opposite in the first place.

It doesn't - that was my point

The spaghetti monster is light, so the opposite of light is the great fork of evil

Muaghhhhh!

Related to Is Darkness Really the Opposite of Light?

1. What is darkness?

Darkness is the absence or lack of light. It is the opposite of light and is characterized by the absence of color and brightness.

2. How is darkness created?

Darkness is created when there is no source of light or when light is blocked or absorbed by an object. It can also be created by the rotation of the Earth, causing the absence of sunlight during the night.

3. What are the effects of darkness on living organisms?

Darkness can have different effects on different organisms. Some animals, like nocturnal creatures, are adapted to thrive in darkness. However, prolonged exposure to darkness can disrupt the circadian rhythm and lead to sleep disturbances in humans.

4. Can darkness be measured?

Yes, darkness can be measured using a device called a lux meter. This measures the amount of light in a given area and can determine the level of darkness. Darkness is measured in lux, with 0 lux being complete darkness and 100,000 lux being equivalent to sunlight.

5. Is darkness necessary for life?

While darkness is necessary for certain organisms and can have benefits such as regulating sleep and hormone production in humans, it is not necessary for all forms of life. Plants, for example, require light for photosynthesis and cannot survive in complete darkness.