Kronecker Delta: Order of Indices Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the equality of two symbols in Weinberg's Gravitation and Cosmology and the use of the Kronecker delta as a symmetric tensor. The experts in the conversation provide explanations and clarification on the usage of indices and tensors.
Jim Lai
Hi everyone,

I am a new member and would like to ask a naive simple (my guess) question.

I am reading Weinberg’s Gravitation and Cosmology. On page 59, Eq. 2.12.10 therein reads
$$
\begin{aligned}
\left[\sigma_{\alpha \beta}\right]_{\gamma \delta}{}^{\varepsilon \zeta}
&=\eta_{\alpha \gamma} \delta_{\beta}{}^{\varepsilon} \delta^{\zeta}{}_{\delta}
-\eta_{\beta \gamma} \delta_{\alpha}{}^{\varepsilon} \delta^{\zeta}{}_{\delta}\\
&+\eta_{\alpha \delta} \delta_{\beta}{}^{\zeta} \delta^{\varepsilon}{}_{\gamma}
-\eta_{\beta \delta} \delta_{\alpha}{}^{\zeta} \delta^{\varepsilon}{}_{\gamma}
\end{aligned}
$$

I wonder if [tex] \delta_{\beta}{}^{\varepsilon} [/tex] is equal to [tex] \delta^{\varepsilon}{}_{\beta} [/tex]. Would anyone enlighten me?

Regards,
Jim Lai

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, those are equal. Both are equal to one if ##\varepsilon = \beta## and zero otherwise. Generally there is therefore no need to worry about the horizontal positioning of the indices on the ##\delta##.

Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and Jim Lai
That's because the Kronecker symbol can be read as the mixed components of the "metric" (it's rather a pseudometric) tensor,
$${\delta_{\alpha}}^{\beta}=g_{\alpha \gamma} g^{\gamma \beta} = g_{\gamma \alpha} g^{\gamma \beta} = {\delta^{\beta}}_{\alpha}.$$

Likes Jim Lai
vanhees71 said:
That's because the Kronecker symbol can be read as the mixed components of the "metric" (it's rather a pseudometric) tensor,
$${\delta_{\alpha}}^{\beta}=g_{\alpha \gamma} g^{\gamma \beta} = g_{\gamma \alpha} g^{\gamma \beta} = {\delta^{\beta}}_{\alpha}.$$
I thought about writing that, but then I thought ”… of any non-degenerate (0,2) tensor and its inverse really … or wait, it is just the identity map on the tangent space vs the identity map on the cotangent space …” and then I realized I knew too much and left it there 😂

• Haha
Likes Jim Lai, dextercioby and vanhees71
The Kronecker delta is a symmetric tensor, so interchanging the order of the indices doesn't matter. One often sees people omitting the order of indices for symmetric tensors in general, i.e. they're write ##
\sigma^a_b##. Since for symmetric tensors ##\sigma^a{}_b = \sigma^b{}_a##, the order doesn't matter. In general though, the order of indices does matter, and specifying the order of indices is required. For an anti-symmetric tensor ##\sigma^a{}_b## = -##\sigma^b{}_a##, for example.

pervect said:
The Kronecker delta is a symmetric tensor, so interchanging the order of the indices doesn't matter. One often sees people omitting the order of indices for symmetric tensors in general, i.e. they're write ##
\sigma^a_b##.
This is incorrect. The Kronecker delta is a (1,1) tensor and if therefore really does not make much sense to discuss symmetries as it only has one index of each type. In a Euclidean space in Cartesian coordinates, it is common to write the metric tensor as ##\delta_{ij}## with both indices down, but this is particular for that coordinate system.

pervect said:
Since for symmetric tensors ##\sigma^a{}_b = \sigma^b{}_a##, the order doesn't matter. In general though, the order of indices does matter, and specifying the order of indices is required. For an anti-symmetric tensor ##\sigma^a{}_b## = -##\sigma^b{}_a##, for example.
None of those relations are viable as they mix covariant and contravariant indices (or, in abstract index notation, mixes vector and dual vector arguments).

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Kronecker Delta function?

The Kronecker Delta function, also known as the Kronecker delta symbol or Kronecker delta notation, is a mathematical function that is used to represent a discrete impulse or a discrete impulse sequence. It is typically denoted by the symbol δ, and is defined as δij = 1 if i = j, and δij = 0 if i ≠ j.

2. What is the significance of the order of indices in the Kronecker Delta function?

The order of indices in the Kronecker Delta function is important because it determines the dimensionality of the function. The Kronecker Delta function with two indices, δij, is a two-dimensional function, while the one with three indices, δijk, is a three-dimensional function. The order of indices also determines the number of variables that the function depends on.

3. How is the Kronecker Delta function used in mathematics?

The Kronecker Delta function is used in various mathematical fields, including linear algebra, calculus, and statistics. It is commonly used to represent discrete impulse sequences in signal processing and to define the Kronecker product in linear algebra. It is also used in probability theory to represent the probability of an event occurring.

4. What is the relationship between the Kronecker Delta function and the Dirac Delta function?

The Kronecker Delta function and the Dirac Delta function are closely related, but they are not the same. The Kronecker Delta function is a discrete function that takes on the value of 1 when the indices are equal and 0 when they are not. On the other hand, the Dirac Delta function is a continuous function that takes on the value of infinity at a single point and 0 everywhere else. The Kronecker Delta function can be thought of as a discrete version of the Dirac Delta function.

5. What is the practical application of the Kronecker Delta function?

The Kronecker Delta function has many practical applications in various fields. In signal processing, it is used to represent discrete impulse sequences, which are important in digital signal processing. In linear algebra, it is used to define the Kronecker product, which is used in matrix operations. It is also used in probability theory to represent the probability of an event occurring. Additionally, the Kronecker Delta function is used in computer science and engineering to represent discrete values and to define algorithms.