Unraveling the Mystery: The Big Bang and the Origin of the Universe

In summary, there is a lot of debate and uncertainty surrounding the concept of what existed before the Big Bang. Some scientists believe that science is limited to the physical universe and cannot explain anything beyond it, while others argue that science is all-encompassing and therefore there was nothing before the creation of the universe. However, there are also religious and other beliefs that may offer different perspectives on this issue. Ultimately, this debate is not productive and has been discussed numerous times in the past.
astrobmw
Scientists suggest that there was nothing before the Big Bang. Nothing. Seems to me, the fact that the whole universe came from nothing makes no sense. I know that there isn't an answer yet but I would like to hear what others might think about this issue

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Science is about the physical universe, it can't talk about anything beyond it, so it can't talk about before universe's creation. In this sense, scientists say there was nothing before the creation of the universe scientifically!
Now some people believe science is all we have, so they say we can't know what was before the creation of the universe.
Some other say science is all there is and so there was nothing before the creation of the universe actually!
There are other ideas too, which I prefer not to mention because here we should talk about physics and I guess people don't like to hear about religion!

The "similar threads" section below will take you to some of the previous discussions along these lines. It's not a productive discussion, as Shyan points out above, and there's not much point in having it again.

Locked.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, an infinitely small and dense point, and expanded rapidly about 13.8 billion years ago. This expansion continues to this day.

2. How did the Big Bang happen?

The exact cause of the Big Bang is still unknown. It is theorized that the singularity underwent a rapid expansion due to a build-up of energy, causing it to explode and create the universe.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang Theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang Theory, including the observation of the expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements such as hydrogen and helium in the universe.

4. What existed before the Big Bang?

The concept of "before" the Big Bang is not well-defined, as time did not exist before the universe began. It is theorized that the singularity may have been the beginning of time and space, and therefore, there was nothing before it.

5. Are there other theories for the origin of the universe?

Yes, there are other theories, such as the Steady State Theory and the Multiverse Theory. However, the Big Bang Theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported by evidence.