Exploring the Pace of Time in the Universe

• Thread starter octelcogopod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the universe is moving at constant speeds, realtive to each other. So that 80mph will always be 80mph, if this wasn't the case, we could up our pace of time and travel extreme distances in a very short amount of time.
octelcogopod
I originally posted this in the philosophy forum, but that thread was closed and I was told to come here, so.. Here I am :)

I was also told that they were having great difficult understanding my question, so please bear with me as i try to explain this as simply as I can.

Imagine the universe as a movie, where if you "play" the universe at 1x speed, everything moves at a certain pace, just like in a movie.
Now, if you would suddenly play the universe at 2x the speed, all thingsi n the universe would move at twice the pace.
Or at least, in my speculations.

What this basically means is that if we measure the speed of one object, and then the speed of another object, the relative speed between each object is constant.
That is, if one car moves at 80 mph, and another car next to it moves at 80mph, they will both travel the exact same distance, if the conditions are perfect and exactly the same. (Road, asphalt, wind speed etc, everything is exactly the same.)
So what this tells me, is that each object in space is moving at constant speeds, realtive to each other.
So that 80mph will always be 80mph, if this wasn't the case, we could up our pace of time and travel extreme distances in a very short amount of time.
I do realize that 80 mph means 80 miles per hour, but what if we increased the pace of time? That would mean they would travel the exact same distance, at the exact same time, but the pace would be increased.

So I ask you this, what does this tell us about the universe?
I originally wanted this to be a philosophical discussion, but I realize now there is potential for scientific discussion as well, so let's drop the philosophical part for now.

My original point was that there seems to be two properties of time;
1. Time itself that enables objects to move, and
2. A pace of time, that time itself has a pace that enables time to move at a constant speed.

Now the pace of time may slow down or increase during big bang, or when the expansion of the universe has reached its limit, or maybe even just reached a certain point, but for now let's leave it at constant.

My questions are then, am I wrong in this assumption?
If not, is there any way we can calculate this "pace of time?"

Also any other comments you may have about this are welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you're asking is if there is a 2nd, or "master" time "outside" of our ordinary time, against which the rate of change of our time could be measured.
But such a notion sounds dangerously likely to get into an infinite regress.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the pace of time in the universe?

The pace of time in the universe is a difficult concept to define. Time is relative and can be experienced differently depending on one's perception and location. In general, time moves at a consistent rate in the universe, but can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity.

How can we explore the pace of time in the universe?

Scientists explore the pace of time in the universe through various methods, including observing astronomical events, studying the effects of gravity on time, and conducting experiments with high-velocity particles. These methods help us understand how time behaves in different environments and how it is affected by different factors.

What has science taught us about the pace of time in the universe?

Through scientific research and observations, we have learned that time is not a constant and can be affected by different factors. We have also discovered that time moves slower in areas with strong gravitational forces, such as near a black hole, and that the faster an object moves, the slower time passes for that object.

What implications does the pace of time in the universe have on our understanding of the universe?

The pace of time in the universe has significant implications on our understanding of the universe. It helps us understand how the universe has evolved and how different objects and events are affected by time. It also plays a crucial role in theories such as the theory of relativity and helps us understand the concept of space-time.

Can we control or manipulate the pace of time in the universe?

As of now, we do not have the technology or understanding to control or manipulate the pace of time in the universe. However, some theories suggest that it may be possible in the distant future with advanced technology and a better understanding of the universe. But for now, the pace of time remains a natural and uncontrollable aspect of the universe.