The peak-to-peak ripple voltage

In summary: So now you can see that the ripple is inversely proportional to the frequency. Doubling the frequency cuts the ripple in half.In summary, a 9 V power supply with a load current of 2 A and a.a.c. supply of 230 V, 50 Hz will have a ripple voltage of 0.957 V when a bridge rectifier and a 0.047 farad reservoir capacitor are used. The frequency will be doubled due to the bridge rectifier, resulting in a ripple voltage of 0.426 V.
gazp1988

Homework Statement

A 9 V power supply delivers 2 A to a resistive load. The a.c. supply is 230 V, 50 Hz and a bridge rectifier is used in conjunction with a 0.047 farad reservoir capacitor.

Homework Equations

Vpp = 1/(2FCRL) * VC

The Attempt at a Solution

1/(2*50*0.047*2) * 9
=0.957v
after doing research it says that the frequency will be double due to it being a bridge rectifier because its a full wave. if this is the case then is the 2 in the equation taking this into consideration. am i on the right track with my answer

cheers :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gazp1988 said:
Vpp = 1/(2FCRL) * VC
Could you clarify this equation? Where did you get it? Are the parenthesis correct? The units don't seem consistent to me -- for example, the units of the LHS are Volts, but the units of the RHS don't seem to come out as Volts (unless I'm misinterpreting the parenthesis.

BTW, it helps if you can post equations in LaTeX format -- that usually removes the ambiguity. A tutorial on LaTeX can be found here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Finally, it would help if we could have a figure to talk this problem through. I'll post one that I found via a Google Images search:

http://macao.communications.museum/images/exhibits/2_16_0_12_eng.png
2_16_0_12_eng.png

Thank you for your quick reply.

Vpp=/ frac{1} {2FCRl} {Vc}

This equation came from my notes that were attached to the assignment equation

gazp1988 said:
Thank you for your quick reply.

Vpp=/ frac{1} {2FCRl} {Vc}

This equation came from my notes that were attached to the assignment equation
Is this intended to be this?
[tex]Vpp = \frac{1}{2FCRI} Vc[/tex]

The common approximation for the ripple voltage for a full-wave rectifier is

##V_{pp} = \frac{V_o}{2 f C R_L}##

where ##V_o## is the DC output voltage, ##R_L## is the load resistance.

Since ##V_o / R_L## is the DC load current, it can also be written as:

##V_{pp} = \frac{I}{2 f C}##

This approximation makes certain assumptions about the form of the discharge curve (straight line assuming constant load current) and that the discharge occurs over the full time interval between the waveform peaks. In reality the curve will be an exponential decay and the discharge is "caught" by the rising sinewave voltage just prior to the next peak. As a result the approximation formula will produce a value that is slightly high.

Likes berkeman
thank you for your responses.
yes berkeman, its suppose to be like that.

i have used both above formula and gave me the same answer of 0.957

Vpp = 9/(2 x 50 x 0.047 x 2) = 0.957
Vpp = 4.5/(2 x 50 x 0.047) = 0.957

gazp1988 said:
Vpp = 9/(2x50x0.047x2) = 0.957
Vpp = 4.5/(2x50x0.047) = 0.957
Can you explain each of the quantities in the formulae? What value are you giving the load resistance?

9 = dc output
2 = double the frequency
50 = frequency
0.047 = reservoir capacitor
2 = load resistance given in the question, is this information you wanted

gazp1988 said:
9 = dc output
2 = double the frequency
50 = frequency
0.047 = reservoir capacitor
2 = load resistance given in the question, is this information you wanted
All is good except for the load resistance. How did you obtain its value? It was not given directly in the problem statement.

i was assuming that 2A stated in the question was the load resistance or as quoted in the question resistive load

gazp1988 said:
i was assuming that 2A stated in the question was the load resistance or as quoted in the question resistive load
2 A has unit A for Amperes. It's the load current. Let me re-write the opening statement of the problem:

"A 9 Volt power supply delivers 2 Amps to a resistive load."

i see i have made a mistake now.
using the second formula above:
gneill said:
Since Vo/RLVo/RLV_o / R_L is the DC load current, it can also be written as:

Vpp=I2fCVpp=I2fCV_{pp} = \frac{I}{2 f C}

Vpp= 4.5/(2 x 50 x 0.047)

I think you're plugging things into the wrong places in the formulas. The formula I believe that you're trying to use now is:

##V_{pp} = \frac{I}{2 f C}##

where ##I## is the load current. There is no load resistance value in this version.

i see what i have done, sorry.
I = 2...
Vpp = 2 / (2 x 50 x 0.047) = 0.426

Yes. Much better :smile:

Related to The peak-to-peak ripple voltage

1. What is the peak-to-peak ripple voltage?

The peak-to-peak ripple voltage, also known as the ripple amplitude, is the difference between the maximum and minimum voltage levels in an alternating current (AC) waveform. It represents the amount of variation or fluctuation in the voltage over time, and is typically measured in volts (V).

2. How is the peak-to-peak ripple voltage calculated?

The peak-to-peak ripple voltage can be calculated by finding the difference between the peak voltage (highest point) and the valley voltage (lowest point) in an AC waveform. This can be done using a multimeter or oscilloscope.

3. What causes peak-to-peak ripple voltage?

The peak-to-peak ripple voltage is primarily caused by the presence of alternating current in a circuit. It can also be influenced by factors such as the quality of the power source, the type of electronic components used, and the design of the circuit itself.

4. How does peak-to-peak ripple voltage affect electronic devices?

Excessive peak-to-peak ripple voltage can have a negative impact on electronic devices, causing them to malfunction or even fail completely. It can lead to overheating, reduced performance, and shortened lifespan of components.

5. How can peak-to-peak ripple voltage be minimized?

To minimize peak-to-peak ripple voltage, proper circuit design and component selection is crucial. The use of filters, such as capacitors and inductors, can also help reduce ripple voltage. Ensuring a stable and high-quality power source can also help minimize ripple voltage in electronic devices.