The percentage and force of Friction ( 9/28/09)

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question involving a 10g bullet being fired into a ballistic pendulum made from a 4kg wood block and two light cords. The question asks for the initial velocity of the bullet, the percentage of kinetic energy lost in the collision, and the force of friction acting on the bullet assuming it stops in 3 cm. The attempted solution involved using the equation 1/2mv^2 = mgh to find the initial velocity, and then using F=ma to find the force of friction. The initial velocity was found to be 19.8 m/s, and the force of friction was calculated to be 1.5E-
sumo87

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

I have 2 quick Questions, about my HW so if u think u can give me a hit please post.

Homework Equations

the Question was :-

10g bullet is fired into a ballistic pendulum made from a 4kg wood block and two light cords. The block's vertical displeacment is 5 cm.

1-

what is the inital velocity.

what percentage of the bullet's initial kinetic energy is lost in the collision

what is the force of friction acting on the bullet in the block assuming that it stops in 3 cm

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the initial velocity into the equation

1/2mv^2 = mgh

and i got 19.8 m/s

so please help me with 2nd and the 3rd Qs

Physics news on Phys.org
k i got for the 3ed Q

1.5E-3

I used the equation

F= ma

Hello,

It seems like you are working on a problem involving a ballistic pendulum and the loss of energy and force of friction. It's great that you have already found the initial velocity of the bullet using the equation 1/2mv^2 = mgh. For the second question, you can use the conservation of energy principle to find the percentage of kinetic energy lost in the collision. This principle states that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. Since the bullet and the block are the only objects involved in the collision, the initial kinetic energy of the bullet (1/2mv^2) will be equal to the final kinetic energy of the bullet and the block (1/2(m+M)V^2), where M is the mass of the block and V is the final velocity of the bullet and the block. You can solve for V using the equation 1/2mv^2 = 1/2(m+M)V^2 and then calculate the percentage of kinetic energy lost using the equation (initial kinetic energy - final kinetic energy)/initial kinetic energy * 100%.

For the third question, you can use the equation Ff = µN, where Ff is the force of friction, µ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force will be equal to the weight of the block and the bullet (mg + Mg), and you can calculate the coefficient of friction using the equation µ = Ff/N. Once you have found the coefficient of friction, you can use it in the equation Ff = µN to calculate the force of friction.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is friction?

Friction is the resistance that occurs when two objects move against each other. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of their microscopic bumps and ridges.

2. How is the force of friction measured?

The force of friction can be measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force needed to overcome friction and move an object.

3. What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is affected by the weight of the objects, the type and roughness of the surfaces, and the force pushing the objects together.

4. How is the percentage of friction calculated?

The percentage of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force (the force pushing the objects together) and multiplying by 100.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying friction?

Studying friction is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It helps in designing better machines and structures, improving the efficiency of vehicles, and understanding the wear and tear of materials.