Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The PF Single's Scene

1. Married or committed relationship

21 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Single, available, under 18; will consider long-distance dating

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Single, available, 18 to 30; will consider long-distance dating

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. Single, available, over 30; will consider long-distance dating

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. Single, available, under 18; local dating only

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Single, available, 18 to 30; local dating only

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
  7. Single, available, over 30; local dating only

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Single, but not available/not interested in dating

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Mar 20, 2005 #1

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With all these threads lately on relationships and meeting people and where to meet intelligent people, etc., I feel the urge to facilitate some match-making here. :tongue2: Afterall, how are all us PF geeks going to find our perfect mate if we don't even know who's available?

So, here's a poll to find out. Your responses are anonymous, so if you're in one of those single and available categories, please share who you are if you want to meet another PF geek! :biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2005 #2
    I knew this one was coming! :biggrin:

Oh yeah status, single old fart willing to have long distance raltionship, of course I do have my quarks, gluons and a pocket full of higgs bosons that I can't seem to find! :rofl:

4. Mar 20, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! Since the poll limited me on numbers of categories, I realize over 30 is a rather large age range, but I thought it more important to separate out the young'uns so us old-timers don't end up in jail going after minors. :biggrin:

I should answer too...I'm also in the over 30, single, willing to consider a long-distance relationship category (it's pointless to worry about anyone local since I'm hoping to move again within the next year or so).

5. Mar 20, 2005 #4
    Well, i guess it is true every thread you encounter/make is turned to sex (not always the horny thing, but you know) :rolleyes: Not that its a bad thing of course :biggrin:

Single, under 18, and not interested here.

6. Mar 20, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I propose a seperate category; I'm taken but don't really see myself in the "married or committed relationship" category! That's just a bit full on. How about a "currently taken" button?

7. Mar 20, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the last choice...single but not available or not interested.

8. Mar 20, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No it isn't.

I'm not single, but I'm not not interested!

9. Mar 20, 2005 #8
    over 30, single, long distance is okay
    turn ons: guru/mentor buttons, sense of humor, ability to laugh at my jokes
    turn offs:lazy eye, hermaphrodites

10. Mar 20, 2005 #9
    I picked the bottom one, just because I'm not looking

11. Mar 20, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're not married, you're single :wink:. Technically, committed relationships are single too, but people usually think of them more like marriage. I probably should have explained that better in my first post. I would consider it a committed relationship if you're living together or engaged, basically everything you'd be with a married person except having an official document saying so. Mostly I included it there because people nowadays don't always get married even though they are in a relationship very similar to marriage.

My last category is intended for those who are not married, not in a marriage-like relationship, but have a relationship or are otherwise unavailable or uninterested in finding someone else.

Edit: Or, I can solve the problem this way...just read that last category in the other possible way: (I'm single, not available) OR (not interested). Not interested doesn't have to imply single. Does that interpretation work for you? :wink:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  12. Mar 20, 2005 #11
    what if someone is married but wants to cheat?

13. Mar 20, 2005 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, thank you Ms Bear!

You're a fussy bugger aren't you?

14. Mar 20, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oddly enough, I considered that possibility. That's why the married category doesn't say anything about being unavailable or not looking. It would also apply, I guess, to someone who is technically still married but separated or going through a divorce. If they are interested in PF geeks, they can post and share that (or wait until the divorce is final and choose one of the single categories). :rofl:

Besides, someone open to cheating should probably handle that somewhat discreetly in the event their spouse checks their computer and finds their responses here, so they don't get a category to themselves. :wink:

I'm sure I'll find something I overlooked in creating these categories, but I tried really hard to include something for everyone.

15. Mar 20, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Not quite. I see nothing about sheep there.

16. Mar 20, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think interspecies dating is a category I just don't want to know about.

17. Mar 20, 2005 #16
    lol, i'm looking (17 y/o), but i'll be in college next year, so not much traveling on my side.

18. Mar 20, 2005 #17

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear realised that so many PF members are into sheep, that she didn't distinguish between sheep and humans.

Carry on as normal, but don't wear your velcro gloves on your first date.

19. Mar 20, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I guess the Brits really know about safe sheep dating. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

20. Mar 20, 2005 #19
    Just passed this weekend at sea with the woman of my life...We are together for 2 years now...She also is a physicist...hihhaaaaaaa...you can admire her in the member photo thread

regards
    marlon, who's heart has been stolen...

21. Mar 20, 2005 #20

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, it's just so they can't get away.
    It's the Welsh anyway, not the Brits. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?