The PF Singles Scene: Find Your Perfect Match

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary: She asked everyone who is single or available to share their information in an anonymous way so that the PF geeks can find a compatible partner. In summary, Moonbear is asking for people's single or available information in an anonymous way. The goal is to find a compatible partner for the PF geeks.

What's your status?

• Married or committed relationship

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Single, available, under 18; will consider long-distance dating

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Single, available, 18 to 30; will consider long-distance dating

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Single, available, over 30; will consider long-distance dating

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Single, available, under 18; local dating only

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Single, available, 18 to 30; local dating only

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Single, available, over 30; local dating only

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Single, but not available/not interested in dating

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
With all these threads lately on relationships and meeting people and where to meet intelligent people, etc., I feel the urge to facilitate some match-making here. :tongue2: Afterall, how are all us PF geeks going to find our perfect mate if we don't even know who's available?

So, here's a poll to find out. Your responses are anonymous, so if you're in one of those single and available categories, please share who you are if you want to meet another PF geek! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I knew this one was coming! :biggrin:

Oh yeah status, single old fart willing to have long distance raltionship, of course I do have my quarks, gluons and a pocket full of higgs bosons that I can't seem to find! :rofl:

LOL! Since the poll limited me on numbers of categories, I realize over 30 is a rather large age range, but I thought it more important to separate out the young'uns so us old-timers don't end up in jail going after minors. :biggrin:

I should answer too...I'm also in the over 30, single, willing to consider a long-distance relationship category (it's pointless to worry about anyone local since I'm hoping to move again within the next year or so).

Well, i guess it is true every thread you encounter/make is turned to sex (not always the horny thing, but you know) :rolleyes: Not that its a bad thing of course :biggrin:

Single, under 18, and not interested here.

I propose a separate category; I'm taken but don't really see myself in the "married or committed relationship" category! That's just a bit full on. How about a "currently taken" button?

brewnog said:
I propose a separate category; I'm taken but don't really see myself in the "married or committed relationship" category! That's just a bit full on. How about a "currently taken" button?

That's the last choice...single but not available or not interested.

Moonbear said:
That's the last choice...single but not available or not interested.

No it isn't.

I'm not single, but I'm not not interested!

over 30, single, long distance is okay
turn ons: guru/mentor buttons, sense of humor, ability to laugh at my jokes
turn offs:lazy eye, hermaphrodites

I picked the bottom one, just because I'm not looking

brewnog said:
No it isn't.

I'm not single, but I'm not not interested!

If you're not married, you're single :wink:. Technically, committed relationships are single too, but people usually think of them more like marriage. I probably should have explained that better in my first post. I would consider it a committed relationship if you're living together or engaged, basically everything you'd be with a married person except having an official document saying so. Mostly I included it there because people nowadays don't always get married even though they are in a relationship very similar to marriage.

My last category is intended for those who are not married, not in a marriage-like relationship, but have a relationship or are otherwise unavailable or uninterested in finding someone else.

Edit: Or, I can solve the problem this way...just read that last category in the other possible way: (I'm single, not available) OR (not interested). Not interested doesn't have to imply single. Does that interpretation work for you? :wink:

Last edited:
what if someone is married but wants to cheat?

Moonbear said:
just read that last category in the other possible way: (I'm single, not available) OR (not interested). Not interested doesn't have to imply single. Does that interpretation work for you? :wink:

Yes, thank you Ms Bear!

tribdog said:
turn offs:lazy eye, hermaphrodites

You're a fussy bugger aren't you?

tribdog said:
what if someone is married but wants to cheat?

Oddly enough, I considered that possibility. That's why the married category doesn't say anything about being unavailable or not looking. It would also apply, I guess, to someone who is technically still married but separated or going through a divorce. If they are interested in PF geeks, they can post and share that (or wait until the divorce is final and choose one of the single categories). :rofl:

Besides, someone open to cheating should probably handle that somewhat discreetly in the event their spouse checks their computer and finds their responses here, so they don't get a category to themselves. :wink:

I'm sure I'll find something I overlooked in creating these categories, but I tried really hard to include something for everyone.

Moonbear said:
I'm sure I'll find something I overlooked in creating these categories, but I tried really hard to include something for everyone.
Not quite. I see nothing about sheep there.

Danger said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think interspecies dating is a category I just don't want to know about.

lol, I'm looking (17 y/o), but i'll be in college next year, so not much traveling on my side.

Danger said:

Moonbear realized that so many PF members are into sheep, that she didn't distinguish between sheep and humans.

Carry on as normal, but don't wear your velcro gloves on your first date.

brewnog said:
Carry on as normal, but don't wear your velcro gloves on your first date.

:rofl: I guess the Brits really know about safe sheep dating. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just passed this weekend at sea with the woman of my life...We are together for 2 years now...She also is a physicist...hihhaaaaaaa...you can admire her in the member photo thread

regards
marlon, who's heart has been stolen...

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I guess the Brits really know about safe sheep dating. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nah, it's just so they can't get away.
It's the Welsh anyway, not the Brits. :smile:

brewnog said:

:uhh: Don't Welsh count as Brits? I used to work with a guy from Wales, and he was always correcting people that British was okay, English was not (usually they'd ask if he's from England when they heard his accent). Though, yeah, he would prefer Welsh over British.

Moonbear said:
:uhh: Don't Welsh count as Brits? I used to work with a guy from Wales, and he was always correcting people that British was okay, English was not (usually they'd ask if he's from England when they heard his accent). Though, yeah, he would prefer Welsh over British.

Yes they do, see the "Should Great Britain Abolish Its Monarchy" thread in Politics and World Affairs for more. I wasn't just being pedantic though; it's the Welsh (rather than general Brits) who are notorious for their sheep related tendencies.

brewnog said:
That's one of the approaches here in cowboy country. Others just tuck the back legs into their gumboots. :approve:

A PF dating service, eh?

Heh. This should be good. 18,000 guys trying to hook up with a few dozen chicks.

Danger said:
That's one of the approaches here in cowboy country. Others just tuck the back legs into their gumboots. :approve:

If they do that, they can't kiss them. :smile:

ok, i said single, under 18, long distances ok... But...

I'm only sort of single, I'm actually in a relationship, but very much on the rocks. Its a long story, either way, I'm looking. I'm 17, but i definately will only date older guys, or like, a wicked mature kid my age, I've just had horrible luck with people my age. Sides, I'm in college, and i'd probably prefer someone else in college or grad school. And long distanances are cool and all... but I've totally been screwed over in those sorts of relationships a few times. On top of all that, I'm really a nut case, so i doubt many people'd be interested.

hmm... ya, whilst writing this, i just realized how very single i am. See, i'll be honest, i was engaged. I'm only 17 though, and i started really freaking out about it, "i'm too young to be married!" So I've been thinking, and we started talking for about two weeks ago... (About the time i started flirting shamelessly on pf... :rolleyes: ) and officially now, we're unengaged. i don't know what'll happen between him and me, but in the mean time, we're both going to try and get out and meet people, date some, ect. really, i tried breaking up a ton of times, but i was really insecure and afraid of never being loved again, blah blah, and so i said yes when he proposed, fearing the alternatives. I mean, not everyone can put up with my very... eccentric personality, so i was really afriad...

ANYWAYS. hmm, that's my little story, if anyone's still interested let me remind you that i said I'm really weird, borderline crazy, and um, not really as cute as my pics probably lead you to think... heh... mmmk...

Tom Mattson said:
Heh. This should be good. 18,000 guys trying to hook up with a few dozen chicks.

:rofl: Yeah, maybe that's why one of the guys didn't decide to start this sooner. Perhaps the ones who can't be paired up with the women will become drinking buddies. :tongue2:

brewnog said:
Reminds me of my experiences with Welsh engineering. The ex-from-hell is Welsh. She absolutely insisted upon building the fireplace in ascending order of size, so the smallest kindling would be on top, until I confiscated her matches. One of my good friends is also Welsh, and a tinkerer. Everything he worked on either burned down or sank, depending upon whether or not it was a raft. I still occassionally refer to him as Dingleberry Finn. :biggrin:

Ahhh the Welsh.

I'd be up for ragging on them some more if they hadn't bastard well won the bastard grand slam.

I was going to ask about the Welsh chick, but you said she's an ex so you obviously came to your senses. :smile:

brewnog said:
I was going to ask about the Welsh chick, but you said she's an ex so you obviously came to your senses. :smile:
:redface: It wasn't actually a matter of me coming to my senses. (I'm not all that sure that I have any.) Fact is, I wasted 6 1/2 years on her, and in the end she elected to remain with her current husband. Six months later, she got rid of him and rejoined the dating pool. We're friends again, but I still won't let her play with matches.

Danger said:
:redface: It wasn't actually a matter of me coming to my senses. (I'm not all that sure that I have any.) Fact is, I wasted 6 1/2 years on her, and in the end she elected to remain with her current husband. Six months later, she got rid of him and rejoined the dating pool. We're friends again, but I still won't let her play with matches.

It's odd that. The best firestarter I ever met was a Welsh girl (and I don't mean arsonist).

Well, Jane could definitely generate sparks, just not in the pyrotechnic sense.
I'm sure you're familiar with the saying that gentlemen prefer blondes because where there's light, there's heat.

Hmmmm...in retrospect, instead of age categories, I should have used my limited number of poll choices to determine who was male and female. This is presenting some problems in my match-making. Should I just assume everyone is bisexual? :biggrin:

<--- Single 22 y.o. M. ISO of BBW, NS, Villanova PA.

LOL I have no idea what those terms mean, I just always wanted to write them and make up my own personals ad.

gravenewworld said:
<--- Single 22 y.o. M. ISO of BBW, NS, Villanova PA.

LOL I have no idea what those terms mean, I just always wanted to write them and make up my own personals ad.

LOL! Should I tell you what they mean? Okay, this is probably an important lesson for anyone who feels the need to use personal ads. :biggrin:

Single, 22 year-old male, in search of bisexual black woman, nonsmoker. :wink: