The phenomenon of image formation

In summary: This is because the lens bends the light rays in such a way that they converge at specific points, creating an image of the object.1.4) The light rays maintain information about the object they are reflecting off of because of the way they are bent by the lens. The magnification or diminishment of the image is dependent on the distance between the object and the lens, as well as the focal length of the lens.1.5) An image is a representation of an object formed by the interaction of light rays with a lens or other optical device. It is created when light rays from an object are focused onto a surface, such as a screen or
werunom
Hello.
the main question/doubt that I have is about the possibility of image formation through parallel projection [I'll explain in detail what I mean by that]. To make myself clear, I will start with a different question and connect that to this.

+ Consider a small rectangular box of a length, say, one metre. On one end of the face I have kept a photographic plate[PP] with a proper mechanism to cover and uncover it. On the opposite face I have stuck a shiny reflective coin. The whole box is well light [some mechanism - but don't think a bulb will hanging down from the top in the middle of the box].
++Please don't bother about the other details as they are not relevant to what i am intending to convey. If its important, you will point it anyhow.​
+Now, I will introduce a wall in between these two faces which has a lens [or a small hole - camera obscura]. Assume that the distances:that between the object & the lens and lens & screen [PP], focal length, etc. are all fine for the image to be formed on the PP.
And if I remove the cover now, a proper image would have been formed, as expected.

1)Q1:My question is - how should I interpret the process of formation of the image, say on the screen? That is, how should i describe the aetiology of image formation?
1.1) The obvious answer is through ray diagram [geometric optics]. But that is not what I am asking.
To describe that consider the step by step process of this phenomenon.
1.2) the photons are being reflected by the coin. When these photons pass through the lens, they get refracted appropriately.
Q1.1:Should I interpret light in this part as particle or wave?​
1.3) After this I am totally confused. What exactly happens after this? How is that the refracted light rays [or particles] form the image – which is of the surface from which these rays came?
1.4)Q1.2: How can the light after coming out of the lens, still have the information of the object it is getting reflected from, but in such a way that it is either magnified or diminished?
1.5)Q1.3: Basically, what is an image?
What exactly do we mean by the "rays" coming from the object gets focused to form the image?

Also refer point (2.4) for this question.

2. My second main question starts from the previous question [Q1.3].
The "image" is present only when the rays are focused. Let me explain why I concluded so.
2.1)In the previous set up of the box, assume that there is no wall in between. Now, if I open the cover of the PP, it will be exposed to the light present inside the box.
The main point is it will not have the image of the coin even though it is present right in front of it. The reason [i think so] would be that the light from the coin would not have been focused on to the PP to form an image.
++This is what I think. Please do correct me if I am wrong.​
2.2) A simple example & an explanation that I can give is to just open a film roll. It will be exposed and will not have anything even though I am staring at it.
2.3)There are two reasons that I could think of for this effect -
++The photons will react to the film's chemical substance immediately​
++No image is focused on to it in a controlled manner​
Of course, both these reasons are over lapped. but the main reason would be the absence of a focused image, which will internally control the way the chemical substance has to react.
2.4) You may suggest that the image formed on the film roll would be related to the energy of the photon [and various other parameters which i am not aware of] striking the film's surface.
++This being similar to the way an electronic photoreceptor works- depending on the energy levels of each pixel of it​
But, it is not the chemical reaction or the picture formation that I am talking about. I am talking about the “image” – it is irrelevant if it forms on a plain screen or a photographic film. Again Q1.3 comes into picture.
Is "image" a collection of photons coming from a body which is refracted by the lens - not changing their characteristics, but just the direction?
2.5) Q2.1:Does this means that a collection of rays or photons coming from an object will NOT form an image on a screen if they are not focused on to it?
2.6) now, the characteristic of the image formed would be that of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_%28graphical%29" .
2.7) Q2.2: I cannot have the image formed of an object without a lens. This implies that I CANNOT have an image of that object with parallel projection. Am I correct?
++now, perspective projection would be parallel projection for certain configuration. See the details given below the right hand side image in this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_projection#Overview"

Please clarify my doubts or show where I am going wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your detailed post and questions. I can offer some insight on the process of image formation through parallel projection.

To start, let's define what parallel projection is. It is a type of projection used in geometric optics, where parallel lines in the 3D world are projected onto a 2D plane without converging to a point. This is different from perspective projection, where parallel lines converge to a vanishing point. In your example, the wall with the lens acts as a parallel projection plane, allowing the image of the coin to be projected onto the photographic plate without any distortion.

Now, let's address your questions:

1.1) Light can be interpreted as both a particle and a wave. This is known as wave-particle duality. In the context of image formation, it is best to think of light as a wave, as it is the wave nature of light that allows for refraction and focusing through lenses.

1.3) After passing through the lens, the light rays are focused onto the photographic plate, forming an image of the coin. This is possible because the lens bends the light rays, causing them to converge at a point on the photographic plate. This is similar to using a magnifying glass to focus sunlight onto a piece of paper, causing it to burn.

1.4) The information of the object is preserved in the light rays that are reflected off of it. When these rays pass through the lens, they are bent in a way that allows for the image to be formed. This is due to the physical properties of the lens, such as its shape and refractive index.

1.5) An image is a representation of an object created through the projection of light rays. It is a visual representation of the object, formed through the interaction of light and the optical elements (in this case, the lens) in the system.

2.2) When you open a film roll, it is exposed to light from all directions, not just from the coin in front of it. This results in a blank image, as the light is not focused onto the film in a controlled manner.

2.4) An image is not just a collection of photons coming from an object. It is the result of those photons being focused onto a surface, creating a visual representation of the object.

2.5) It is possible to have an image formed on a screen without focusing the light rays onto it,

Hello,

The phenomenon of image formation can be explained through the principles of optics and light. When light from an object reflects off of its surface, it travels in all directions. Some of these light rays enter our eyes, allowing us to see the object. However, if we want to capture an image of the object on a screen or photographic plate, we need to control the direction of these light rays. This is where lenses or small holes come into play.

When light rays pass through a lens, they are refracted or bent, depending on the shape of the lens. This allows us to control the direction of the light rays and focus them onto a specific point. In the scenario you described, the light rays reflected off of the coin are refracted by the lens and focused onto the photographic plate, creating an image of the coin.

To answer your first question, light can be interpreted as both a particle and a wave. This is known as the wave-particle duality of light. In the scenario you described, it is more useful to think of light as a wave, as it is being refracted and focused. However, the concept of particles can also help explain the behavior of light.

An image is a representation of an object formed through the collection of light rays. When light rays from an object are focused onto a screen or photographic plate, they form a pattern that mimics the shape and characteristics of the object. This is what we perceive as an image. In the absence of a lens or focused light, the light rays from the object are not controlled and do not form a clear image.

In terms of parallel projection, it is possible to create an image using this method. However, it may not be as clear or accurate as an image formed through the use of lenses. Parallel projection relies on the parallel lines of sight between the object and the screen, which can result in a distorted image. This is why lenses are often used to create more accurate images.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts about image formation. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if I can provide more information.

1. How do images form?

Images form when light rays from an object pass through a lens and are focused onto a surface, such as the retina in the eye or a camera sensor. This process is known as refraction, and it allows us to see a clear and magnified version of the object.

2. Why do objects appear upside down in a pinhole camera?

In a pinhole camera, the image is formed by light rays passing through a small hole and projecting onto a surface. Due to the small size of the hole, the rays cross and invert the image, resulting in the upside-down appearance. This is a phenomenon known as "the inverted image" in optics.

3. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a specific point, creating a clear and focused image. This type of image can be projected onto a surface, such as a screen. On the other hand, a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to converge at a point, but they do not actually meet. This type of image cannot be projected and is only visible through a lens or mirror.

4. Can images be formed without a lens?

Yes, images can be formed without a lens through the use of pinholes. This is the principle behind a pinhole camera. However, the image formed will be dim and blurry due to the lack of a lens to properly focus the light rays.

5. How does the distance between an object and a lens affect image formation?

The distance between an object and a lens, known as the object distance, affects image formation in several ways. As the object moves closer to the lens, the image becomes larger and moves further away from the lens. The opposite is true as the object moves further away from the lens. Additionally, the distance also affects the clarity of the image, with closer objects producing a clearer image while distant objects may appear blurry.