What are the different types of kites and how do they work?

• Thread starter hmmmok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind a kite and how it glides in the air. The forces of lift and drag act through the center of pressure, not the center of mass, and the type of kite used can affect its aerodynamics. The person also suggests reading up on airfoils and different types of kites before deciding on a project.
hmmmok
So, I am a student of 3rd quarter calculus based physics class, we have to do a project so I was thinking of picking the physics of a kite with a miniature visual of a kite in like a state of static flight if I can with a controlled fan and a small paper kite. I just want to verify that this project isn't more of a difficult topic that I think. So, for a kite to glide it has to have a drag force from the wind hitting the kite at an upward angle so the projected upward force is equal or greater than the downward force of gravity with the addition of the tension of the string holding it down if the drag is greater. But when applying these forces to an actual kite I would apply these forces at the kites center of mass, correct? With the drag force proportional to the area of the kites surface? Do I have to find the torque created throughout the rigid surface? and When does the bernoulli's principle come in play? Is there anything I am forgetting or is this about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The forces of lift and drag will act through the centre of pressure, not the centre of mass. NASA has an excellent series of pages on kite aerodynamics. Here's the one about centre of pressure.

A typical kite is really more of an airfoil. The way the lift and drag are generated on an airfoil are slightly more complex. Take a look at article on Thin Airfoil Theory. See if you can sort most of it out.

In short, the resultant vector of drag and lift aren't along the line at which the relative wind moves. Unless the airfoil is stalled, the lift is significantly higher. (Though, kites can fly stalled.) Furthermore, the point at which the force is applied is the center of pressure, which isn't necessarily aligned with center of mass. In fact, for a kite, the center of mass is typically significantly aft of center of pressure.

This really sounds like a quite doable project, but you should read up a bit more on airfoils in general and kites specifically.

Thanks that really helps

What is the physics behind a kite flying?

The physics behind a kite flying involves a combination of aerodynamics, gravity, and wind forces. When a kite is lifted into the air, the wind creates a force called lift that acts against the weight of the kite. This lift force is created by the curved shape of the kite and the angle at which it is flown.

How does the shape and size of a kite affect its flight?

The shape and size of a kite affect its flight in several ways. A larger kite will create more lift and be able to withstand stronger winds. The shape of the kite, particularly its curvature, helps to create lift and stability. A flat kite will be more unstable and have less lift than a curved kite.

Why does a kite need a tail?

A kite needs a tail to provide stability and prevent it from spinning or flipping over. The tail creates drag, which helps to balance the lift force created by the wind. The length and weight of the tail can also affect the kite's flight, with longer and heavier tails providing more stability.

How does wind speed affect the flight of a kite?

Wind speed is a crucial factor in the flight of a kite. A stronger wind will create more lift and allow the kite to fly at a higher angle. However, if the wind is too strong, it can cause the kite to become unstable or even crash. The ideal wind speed for flying a kite is between 5-25 mph.

What happens when a kite is flown at a higher altitude?

When a kite is flown at a higher altitude, it will experience changes in wind speed and direction, as well as changes in air pressure and temperature. These changes can affect the lift force and stability of the kite, requiring adjustments in the angle and tension of the kite strings to maintain flight.