The possible impacts of cloning technology on human society

In summary: I think that it's more ethical to modify genes rather than clone them because you are not creating a new being, you are just repairing an existing being. Cloning can be done ethically, but I think it should only be used if there are no other viable options.
Leaping antalope
Greetings!
Cloning technology has been developed so fast in recent years and it has drawn concerns from the public. Advanced technology has made cloning humans possible. In the future, there might be many clones of mine. Of course, this issue will certainly cause a lot of religious, ethic, economic and social problems. What are the possibel impacts of cloning technology on our society? Should we support it or not?
In my opinion, I think the biggest disadvantage of cloning human may be the susceptibility to disease. Lack of diversity will make human beings susceptible to the same disease. Religious groups consider cloning humans as violationg natual laws. People should not play the role of God. However, cloning technology will bring many medical benefits, and it might also improve the overall standards of human beings. This is why it has become a controversial issue.
There are still many other possible impacts on our society (no matter positives or negatives) and I am interested in hearing what you guys think about this issue. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
i think the worst problem with cloning is that only the most whealty class will be able to "use" this thechnology. and worst than cloning is genetic modifications, only those who can paid it will have access to it.. this will create an entire diferent race, a superior race of geneticaly modified human, and of course it will be the rich ones.. In another apocaliptic view goverments could use this technology to engineer they populations.. People will not be born by they parents, they will be artificialy enginered by the goverment, they will be able to create. Workers... Soldiers... Leaders... etc...

Sorry my english i am from argentina

This reminds me of a movie called GATACA. We are studying it in english atm.

The human race is on a self destruction course, I hope genetic technologies can help correct this. Cloning will do a lot for medical research. It will also challenge peoples ideas about life and about themselves (as does nearly every aspect of science), two thumbs up for that.

How many Einstein’s does it take to figure out the theory of everything? :)

Cloning might make identification of the each cloned individual difficult. Suppose future identification techninques were based on gene recognition and iris recognition, and they would not differentiate the individual being cloned and the cloned. Other forms of identification techniques must be designed to cater to their existence (btw, identical twins are also like clones anyway...)

I'm more on the stand for gene modification than cloning.

1. What are the potential benefits of cloning technology on human society?

Cloning technology has the potential to revolutionize medical treatments and procedures, allowing for the creation of organs and tissues for transplant, as well as the ability to study and potentially cure genetic diseases. It could also lead to the preservation and restoration of endangered species.

2. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding cloning technology?

Yes, there are many ethical concerns surrounding cloning technology, particularly when it comes to human cloning. Some worry about the potential for abuse and exploitation of cloned individuals, while others question the morality of creating life in a laboratory. There are also concerns about the long-term effects on genetic diversity and the potential for unintended consequences.

3. How might cloning technology impact our understanding of identity?

Cloning technology raises questions about what it means to be an individual and how our sense of self is formed. It challenges traditional ideas of genetics, parenthood, and family, and could potentially alter our understanding of personal identity and individuality.

4. What are the potential risks associated with cloning technology?

Some potential risks of cloning technology include the possibility of creating genetically flawed individuals, as well as the potential for unintended consequences on the environment and society. There are also concerns about the economic impacts of cloning technology and the potential for it to widen the gap between the rich and the poor.

5. How might cloning technology impact society's views on reproduction and parenthood?

Cloning technology challenges traditional beliefs and values surrounding reproduction and parenthood. It raises questions about the role of genetics in determining parenthood and the concept of a "traditional" family structure. It also has the potential to change societal attitudes towards assisted reproduction, surrogacy, and adoption.