The probability that a new drug will cure a skin rash is 0.82.

In summary, the probability that a new drug will cure a skin rash is 0.82. if the drug is administered to 200 patients with the skin rash, find the probability that:a)more than 150 will be cured?b)between 170 and 180, inclusive will be cured?
Mspike6

Homework Statement

"The probability that a new drug will cure a skin rash is 0.82. if the drug is administered to 200 patients with the skin rash, find the probability that:

a)more than 150 will be cured?
b)between 170 and 180, inclusive will be cured?
"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i really don't know how to solve it, i missed the class for this one and i have no clue. I think i will have to use the z-score table, but it doesn't make sense, and i never had to get a probability of a probability.

any help or hint will be greatly appreciated, Thanks !

p.s. I didnt know where to post my question, so if am posting in the wrong section, i apologize

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I believe you're in the right section.

What do you know about combinations and permutations?
Also, have you have you learned much about the Binomial Theorem?

Last edited:

Yes i learnd about the binomial theorem, but how can i apply in this question

Well, there's a derivative of the Binomial Theorem that can be applied to situations where you want to find out the probability of an event that has only two out comes.

For instance, flipping a coin results in a head or a tail.

Guessing the answer to a question on a test results in a success or a failure.

Look at the equation below and I'll describe some parts.[itex]P (N of X) = _{X} C _{N} (b)^N(q)^{X-N}[/itex][itex]X =[/itex] the total number of items in a given system. (50 questions on a test, 32 flips of a coin, Etc.)

[itex]N =[/itex] the number of successful out comes you want to evaluate. (exactly 12 correct questions, exactly 28 heads)

[itex]b =[/itex] the probability of a successful outcome occurring. (1/4 if there are 4 options on a test, 1/2 if there are 2 sides to a coin)

[itex]q =[/itex] the probability of an unsuccessful outcome. (3/4 chances to fail each question on the test, 1/2 chances to flip a tail)Can you see how your question can apply to this?This is relative to the binomial theorem in a way that I wouldn't be too great at describing without looking at some notes. But, here's some logical intuition.

If you're going to flip a coin 4 times, and I ask you "What are the odds of you getting 3 heads and 1 tail?" You might multiply the probability of each event together, like so:

[itex]1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/16[/itex]

This would be the same as:

[itex](1/2)^3 * (1/2) = 1/16[/itex]

However, this only applies for 1 instance. To find out how many times this event occurs, we would use Combinations like so:

[itex]_{4} C _{3} = 4[/itex]

Using these pieces of information together will tell us the total probability of flipping 3 heads and 1 tail, and bring us back to the Binomial Theorem.

[itex]P ( 3 heads of 4 flips ) = _{4} C _{3}(1/2)^3(1/2) = 1/4[/itex]Edits: Loads of formating.

Last edited:

Related to The probability that a new drug will cure a skin rash is 0.82.

1. What does the probability of 0.82 mean in terms of the new drug curing a skin rash?

The probability of 0.82 means that there is an 82% chance that the new drug will cure a skin rash. This is considered to be a relatively high probability, indicating that the drug is likely to be effective in treating the rash.

2. How was the probability of 0.82 determined for the new drug?

The probability of 0.82 was most likely determined through clinical trials and studies. These trials involve testing the drug on a sample of patients with the skin rash and recording the outcomes. The probability is then calculated based on the number of patients who were cured by the drug.

3. Is a probability of 0.82 considered to be a good success rate for a new drug?

Yes, a probability of 0.82 is generally considered to be a good success rate for a new drug. This means that there is a high likelihood that the drug will be effective in treating the skin rash, giving patients a good chance of finding relief from their symptoms.

4. Are there any factors that may affect the actual success rate of the new drug?

Yes, there are several factors that may affect the actual success rate of the new drug. These can include the severity of the skin rash, the age and health of the patients, and any potential side effects or interactions with other medications. These factors should be taken into consideration when interpreting the probability of 0.82.

5. What is the likelihood that the new drug will have a different success rate in different populations?

The likelihood of the new drug having a different success rate in different populations cannot be determined solely based on the given probability of 0.82. Factors such as genetics, lifestyle, and access to healthcare may also play a role. Further studies and trials may be necessary to determine the success rate of the drug in different populations.