The pushed box with kinetic friction and an inital speed

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a box sliding across the floor with an initial speed of 3.7 m/s and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.25. The goal is to determine how far the box will go. The conversation includes equations for forces and accelerations, as well as the manipulation of an equation to solve for ax. However, the expert suggests using energy considerations instead for a simpler solution.
NastyAccident

Homework Statement

A box is given a push so that it slides across the floor. How far will it go, given that the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25 and the push imparts an initial speed of 3.7 m/s?

Homework Equations

E is sigma
EFy/m = ay
-> Fn - mg = 0
-> because ay = 0
-> Fn = mg
EFx/m = ax
-> (Fa - uk*Fn)/m = ax
-> (Fa - uk*m*g)/m = ax

V^2 = Vo^2 - 2a(delta x)

The Attempt at a Solution

yo = 0
y = ?
Vox = 3.7 m/s
Vx = 0
t = ?

I manipulated the equation so I could get ax... The end result was...

ax = Fa / m - uk * g

However, I do not know what Fa is nor do I know what m is.. This problem has me stumped and if anybody could direct me to the proper logic or correct my logic I would be really content/happy!

I'm really unsure of how to do this type of problem. We were not given an example in class regarding a problem like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi,

I think you are making the situation too complicated. Problems can usually be solved EITHER by forces and accelerations OR by energy considerations.

I think here you would be better off considering the initial kinetic energy and the work done against friction as the block slides.

Cheers

Based on the given information, we can use the equations of motion to calculate the distance the box will travel. First, we need to find the acceleration of the box, which can be determined by using the equation EFx/m = ax. We know that the only force acting on the box in the horizontal direction is the force of friction, so we can rewrite the equation as (Fa - uk*Fn)/m = ax. We also know that Fn = mg, so the equation becomes (Fa - uk*m*g)/m = ax. Now, we need to find the force of friction, Fa, which can be calculated using the equation Fa = uk*Fn = uk*mg. Plugging this into our previous equation, we get (uk*mg - uk*m*g)/m = ax. Simplifying, we get (uk*g) = ax.

Next, we can use the equation V^2 = Vo^2 - 2a(delta x) to calculate the distance the box will travel. We know that Vo = 3.7 m/s and Vx = 0, so the equation becomes (3.7)^2 = 0^2 - 2(uk*g)(delta x). Solving for delta x, we get delta x = (3.7)^2 / (2*uk*g). Plugging in the given value for uk (0.25) and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), we get delta x = 2.72 m. Therefore, the box will travel 2.72 meters before coming to a stop due to the force of friction.

It's important to note that Fa and m in this problem represent the force of friction and the mass of the box, respectively. These values were not given in the problem, so you would need to make some assumptions or find additional information to solve for them. It's also important to consider the units of the given values and make sure they are consistent in your calculations.

Related to The pushed box with kinetic friction and an inital speed

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object moving across a surface. It is caused by the microscopic bumps and imperfections on the surface that interact with the object as it moves.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and trying to be put into motion. Kinetic friction is typically weaker than static friction.

3. How does an initial speed affect the motion of a pushed box with kinetic friction?

An initial speed will decrease as the box experiences kinetic friction, which will eventually bring the box to a stop. The amount of time it takes for the box to come to a stop will depend on the magnitude of the initial speed and the strength of the kinetic friction force.

4. Can the direction of the initial speed affect the motion of the pushed box?

Yes, the direction of the initial speed can affect the motion of the pushed box. If the initial speed is in the same direction as the force being applied to the box, it will accelerate the box. However, if the initial speed is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the speed at which the box moves.

5. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the motion of the pushed box?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surface is. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction means there is more resistance to the motion of the box, therefore slowing it down more quickly. A lower coefficient of kinetic friction means there is less resistance, allowing the box to move further with the same initial speed.