1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The quotient topology

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

X is a compact metric space, X/≈ is the quotient space,where the equivalence classes are the connected components of X.Prove that X/ ≈ is metrizable and zero dimensional.

2. Relevant equations
    Y is zero dimensional if it has a basis consisting of clopen (closed and open at the same time)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that Uryson's metrization theorem may be used.I considered also the metric given in wikipedia.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Let ~ be the equivalence relation on X, which if I understand correctly is defined as "x ~ y if and only if there exists a proper clopen subset U of X such that [itex]\{x,y\} \subset U[/itex]".

Can you establish that if X is compact, then X/~ consists of a finite number of points?

Can you establish that the quotient topology is the discrete topology?

You will want to consider the quotient map [itex]q: X \to X/\sim : x \mapsto [x][/itex], which in the quotient topology is continuous by definition.

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3
    x~ y if and only if x and y belong to a connected set in X.S the equivalence classes ate the connected components in X

5. Jun 27, 2013 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Yes - so x ~ y if and only if there's a connected clopen subset which contains them both, and I now see that I forgot to include the "connected" requirement.

The remainder still stands: you can show that X/~ is a finite set under the discrete topology. You can then show, as a simple consequence of the defintions, that a finite set under the discrete topology is metrizable and zero-dimensional.

6. Jun 27, 2013 #5
    Why should X have only finite number of connected components? -

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  7. Jun 27, 2013 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

Re-read the definition of compactness, and recall that the collection of connected components of X is an open cover of X.

8. Jun 27, 2013 #7
    The number of connected components need not be finite.consider the cantor set.Also for x~y why does it have to be the same set that is both connected and clopen that includes x and y?
    Thank's

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  9. Jun 27, 2013 #8
    What have you done so far?

10. Jun 27, 2013 #9

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

When you say zero dimensional, do you mean manifold dimension? A space is zero dimensional in the manifold sense if and only if it is a countable discrete space but the cantor set is a compact space with uncountably many connected components so the quotient space you mentioned would not be countable. This is why I ask what you mean by zero dimensional.

11. Jun 27, 2013 #10
    I mean that there exists a basis for the topology consisting of clopen sets.
    I tried to find such basis using the compacity and properties of connected components,so far without results.I need some hints.

12. Jun 27, 2013 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First prove that the quotient space is Hausdorff. Then it will be a compact Hausdorff space. In compact Hausdorff spaces, you know that totally disconnected is equivalent to zero-dimensional, so you can prove that it's totally disconnected.

Then apply some metrization theorem to show it's metrizable (you will only need to show second countable).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted