Calculate Real Freefall | GM/x^2 Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the consideration of constant acceleration in calculating freefall problems and the use of the acceleration GM/x^2 in real calculations. The speaker also mentions the use of energy conservation to establish the kinetic energy formula and gravitational potential energy due to a spherically symmetric body. The conversation also mentions that there are older homework problems related to this topic.
BoraDogan
We always consider the accelaration as a constant thing, while calculating the freefall problems. What if we try to calculate the real. I mean taking the accelaration GM/x^2. I tried it but i could not handle that integral(Just graduated from high school). I would be happy if you reply.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
BoraDogan said:
We always consider the accelaration as a constant thing, while calculating the freefall problems.
There are many problems that do not. We should have some older homework problems discussing this in our homework section.

Every satellite orbit is a related problem.

Likes BoraDogan
There's a trick… Assuming no tangential component to the body's motion (as would be the case if it were released from rest) then, working with radial components of force and velocity, Newton's second law gives
[tex]\frac{GMm}{r^2}=-m\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]
So[tex]\int{\frac{GMm}{r^2}}dr=-m\int{\frac{dv}{dt}dr}[/tex]
But [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}=v[/itex], so
[tex]\int{\frac{GMm}{r^2}}dr=-m\int{v\ dv}[/tex]

Both these integrations are easy. Either put limits in, or leave as indefinite integrals and find the value of the arbitrary constant afterwards.

You may well now realize that the result follows immediately from energy conservation. What I did above is to establish the [itex]\frac{1}{2}m\ v^2[/itex] kinetic energy formula (and that for gravitational PE due to a spherically symmetric body) from first principles, because doing this seemed more in the spirit of your question than simply quoting energy formulae.

Last edited:
Likes BoraDogan and vanhees71

1. What is the formula for calculating real freefall?

The formula for calculating real freefall is GM/x^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object being dropped, and x is the distance from the object to the center of the Earth.

2. How is the GM/x^2 integral used in calculating real freefall?

The GM/x^2 integral is used to determine the acceleration due to gravity at a specific distance from the center of the Earth. This integral takes into account the mass of the Earth and the distance between the object and the Earth's center.

3. How accurate is the calculation of real freefall using the GM/x^2 integral?

The calculation of real freefall using the GM/x^2 integral is highly accurate as it takes into account the mass of the Earth and the distance between the object and the Earth's center, which are crucial factors in determining the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the GM/x^2 integral be used to calculate freefall on other planets?

Yes, the GM/x^2 integral can be used to calculate freefall on other planets as long as the necessary values for G, M, and x are known for that particular planet.

5. What are the units of measurement for the GM/x^2 integral?

The units of measurement for the GM/x^2 integral are m/s^2, as it represents the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.