Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The renormalization group

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    When I am reading about the Wilson approach to renormalization in Chapter12.1 of Peskin & Shroeder I am wondering why are you allowed only to contract the [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] field (this is the field that carries the high-momentums degrees of freedom)as they show in equation 12.10, I thought that we should add all the contractions, between all the 4 fields and here is the term they are making the example of:
    [itex]\int \mathcal{D}\hat{\phi}exp\left(-\int d^{d}x \frac{\lambda}{4}\phi^{2}\hat{\phi}^{2}\right)[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2
    Here we are only doing the path integral over the ##\hat\phi## field, and not integrating over ##\phi##. You can only get internal lines in a Feynman diagram for fields you are integrating over. So we end up writing down Feyman diagrams where all the external lines are ##\phi## fields (because we only care about the interactions of low-energy particles) and all the internal lines are ##\hat\phi## fields (because we are only integrating over the high-momentum modes).

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3
    Thank you I think I almost understand. Another thing I am noticing is that while integrating over the high degrees of freedom [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] the dependence of the large cutoff [itex]\Lambda[/itex] goes into the coefficients (see for example the expression of [itex]\mu[/itex] in formula 12.11 or for [itex]\lambda^{'}[/itex] in 12.29). Are we to assume that we will no longer have any cases that as [itex]\Lambda->\infty[/itex] that will not cause any of those coefficients to go to infinity? and if so is that only valid for theories that are renormalizable?

5. Oct 24, 2013 #4
    you will have the effect of it in higher order terms,where you will have two vertices for example.just see 12.13.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook