Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The rise of unschooled children

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    Is this a good or bad thing?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/unschooling-homeschooling-book-tests-classes/story?id=10410867

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEUzsooa1JE

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    Oh wow. Now we will have more stupid kids. Go America.

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Reporter: Do you feel prepared to go to college?

girl: "Ugh, If I decide to go to college, then I'll pick up a textbook." Ok, but when you're 19 and the the only "text book" you can master is "Run spot run, run, run, run", you might be a tad behind.

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4
    I think a far better method of "unschooling" is the Sudbury Valley method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury_Valley_School

This way, the kids are actually at a school, and there are teachers around for tutoring, or to hold a class if a group of kids want to get together and form one. For what it's worth, it is fully accredited to award diplomas.

The kids that want to go to college have something like an 80% acceptance rate at the school of their first choice, according to a study done by Sudbury Valley School of its alumni. Consider the source, of course.

6. Apr 19, 2010 #5
    Chaotic and unsustainable!

7. Apr 19, 2010 #6

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Wow, tragic. :yuck: I guess the parents won't mind when the kids never move out. After all, they probably won't be interested in working either. If they do work, I hope they like saying "You want fries with that?".

8. Apr 19, 2010 #7
    I think it is a requirement now that you have to have a high school degree to work at Mcdonalds, or at least be in high school.

9. Apr 19, 2010 #8

Evo

It's just so stupid, for most of history an edcuation was the privelege of the wealthy. Women were denied formal educations as were the poor. And now we have people that willingly decide to remain uneducated. So many people fought for so long for the opportunity to get an education and these people throw it away.

10. Apr 19, 2010 #9
    If done correctly, "unschooling" does not lead to being "uneducated." I'm not saying these parents are doing it correctly, however.

11. Apr 19, 2010 #10

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Sounds like pretty spot-on America to me.

12. Apr 19, 2010 #11
    That's probably the worst idea I've ever heard in my life.
    It sounds like an idea thought up by a 12 year old.

And if I heard them right, it sounded like the parents of those little kids let the kids decide what they want to eat and when they need to brush their teeth, in addition to not making them go to school. That's dooming them to become fat, toothless, stupid, poor people. These people are dummies.

13. Apr 19, 2010 #12

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have to believe there are studies done on "no-schoolers" that show just how f***ed up the whole concept is.

14. Apr 19, 2010 #13

Evo

It's one thing to give a child a choice, it's another to, in essence, not give them one. The older male child said that his parents pulled him out of school in the 1st grade, age 6-7. Seriously, ask any 6 year old "would you rather get up and go to school or lay in bed, watch tv, and eat junk food all day?" What do you think the answer would be?

15. Apr 19, 2010 #14

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I was 'unschooled' as a kid. It doesn't mean 'uneducated'. It's more like custom tailoring a curriculum guided by your own interests. It worked fairly well for me, but I knew exactly what I wanted to do when I was older.

Slackers will slack whether they are 'unschooled' or not. Learning is up to the individual.

16. Apr 19, 2010 #15

DavidSnider

Gold Member

That said, it is extremely alienating. The sort of vitriol you see in these posts is pretty much the reaction I got from everybody I knew growing up.

17. Apr 19, 2010 #16
    When the studies are done in the context of a Sudbury Valley-style school, which is still technically "unschooling," the studies show the opposite of what you think. At least the ones I've seen. I haven't seen the studies for children "unschooled" at home.

I do find it interesting that the members of a science board are jumping to conclusions without examining evidence.

18. Apr 19, 2010 #17
    Studies that are done by Sudbury Valley-style school as you said earlier

19. Apr 19, 2010 #18

Evo

I've always said that Sudbury is stupid, but at least the kids are exposed to some type of learning. maybe. None of them have ever been heard of again.

Not much to examine, no education is, well, no education. What's to ponder about?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  20. Apr 19, 2010 #19
    "Not-educated" is not equal to being "stupid".

21. Apr 19, 2010 #20
    A high school diploma is "no education?"

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook