Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The scalar field lagrangian

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1

I have a question about a statement I've seen in many a Quantum Field Theory book (e.g. Zee). They say that the general form of the Lagrangian density for a scalar field, once two conditions are imposed:
    (1) Lorentz invariance, and
    (2) At most two time derivatives,

L = 1/2(d\phi)^2 - V(\phi)

where V(\phi) is a polynomial in \phi.

Why is this? I can understand how the conditions restrict the kinetic energy term to being what it is, but I don't understand why V has to be _polynomial_ in \phi.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

Good question.

The reason is dimensional analysis. The action must be dimensionless to be a lorentz invariant, so the lagrangian has to have dimension mass^4 .

So you can simply power count your fields to tabulate all renormalizable interactions. You've probably seen this before.. You know the spinor field has dimension 3/2, scalar fields dimension 1 etc

So for scalar fields you can only have a (phi)^3, or b phi^4 where a is dimension 1 and b is dimensionless.. Anything higher than that would lead to negative mass dimension coupling constants and a badly nonrenormalizable theory.
  4. Apr 14, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not a requirement for max.2 time-derivatives.Think about Weyl gravity.The Hamiltonian formalism can be externded to an arbitrary # of time derivatives in the "kinetic" term...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?