The temperature of empty space What now?

In summary, the temperature of empty space is currently around 3 degrees Kelvin, but this will change as the universe expands.
Jack Martinelli
Following Hubble's discovery of the expanding universe, George Gamow postulated that the universe began as a big bang & calculated the temperature of empty space to be around 3 degrees Kelvin. In the early 60's this temperature was confirmed.

We now know that rate of expansion is accelerating. My question is, what impact does this have on the temperature of empty space? Does theory still predict abount 3 degrees Kelvin?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
None whatsoever. Eventually, expansion will cool it, but, it will never fall much below the currently measured temperature. The universe is already very near the limit imposed by the uncertainty principle.

Chronos said:
None whatsoever. [...]

There are two things that come to mind when I consider that the acceleration might change the Standard Big Bang theory. First, it wasn't part of the SBB model, and it wasn't predicted. This seems pretty big to me. Second, the expansion is a big part of the dynamical properties (like temperature) of the universe. That it can be ignored really surprises me.

I would think the acceleration would imply that the universe must be much younger than thought & further implies that the rate of cooling must have been much faster -- to get to the measured value of about 3 degrees. To me both seem to disagree with SBB theory.

If you have to insert inflation to justify your comment, then for me to buy it, you'd have to explain why, today, nothing can go faster than c.

Jack,

Seems you are confused on a whole lot of things:
- 'wasn't part of SBB, wasn't predicted': this applies to lots of things; the key question is "with the new data, is the SBB still consistent?" and the answer is YES! (OK, some adjustments are needed, but that happens all the time; the SBB isn't derived from only a few universal constants)
- as far as having an effect on the expansion, temperature would rank just about near the bottom. I mean, why not be surprised that the discovery of neutrino oscillation didn't make a bigger splash in cosmology? Or, why consider just the CMBR temperature (and not the relict neutrino temperature)?
- 'acceleration -> younger universe'; it all depends on the numbers! Hand-waving 'much faster' and 'much younger' don't mean a thing ... when you crunch the numbers, using 'dark energy', the revised models are entirely consistent with the observations. Of course, as Garth has said, this consistency is model dependent, but that's life in cosmology ( :tongue2: )
- 'nothing can go faster than c': please read the Lineweaver articles to which marcus has posted links; this is one of the least well understood aspects (by folk such as me and you) -'c' as a speed limit has its limits; wrt the expansion of the universe, it needs careful treatment.

Jack Martinelli said:
I would think the acceleration would imply that the universe must be much younger than thought
In addition to Nereid's excellent post, just a small correction: If the universe is accelerating rather than decelerating its age is older than previously thought. As it was going slower in the past it would have taken longer to "get to here" than previously thought! [There are some pretty mature galaxies at the edge of the visible universe that raise questions about how long they have had to form]

Garth

Garth said:
In addition to Nereid's excellent post, just a small correction: If the universe is accelerating rather than decelerating its age is older than previously thought. As it was going slower in the past it would have taken longer to "get to here" than previously thought! [There are some pretty mature galaxies at the edge of the visible universe that raise questions about how long they have had to form]

Garth
Too true! Assuming the Standard Model is accurate, we see a tremendous amount of structure and organization already in the infancy of the 13.7Gy Universe. Will the Large Binocular Telescope (a long-baseline light bucket pair with adaptive optics) show us more distant galaxies and quasars? Of course we have an infrared-optimized space telescope waiting in the wings as well, ready to probe for more highly-redshifted stuff. 13.7Gy may face some serious observational challenges in the next few years.

Last edited:
Jack Martinelli said:
Following Hubble's discovery of the expanding universe, George Gamow postulated that the universe began as a big bang & calculated the temperature of empty space to be around 3 degrees Kelvin. In the early 60's this temperature was confirmed.

We now know that rate of expansion is accelerating. My question is, what impact does this have on the temperature of empty space? Does theory still predict abount 3 degrees Kelvin?

Jack, I did not know Gamow came so close. Are you sure he did not guess something else besides 3 kelvin? Like, say, 5 kelvin, or 10 kelvin?
Not to question the brilliance of the man's achievement and insight. But did he actually nail it that close? I do not know and could use a link to the history.

Your question is interesting because it makes one ask "how would someone in 1950-1955 predict the temp of the CMB, knowing only the Hubble parameter and perhaps having some independent rough guess as to the age of the universe?"

marcus said:
Jack, I did not know Gamow came so close. Are you sure he did not guess something else besides 3 kelvin? Like, say, 5 kelvin, or 10 kelvin?
Not to question the brilliance of the man's achievement and insight. But did he actually nail it that close? I do not know and could use a link to the history.

Your question is interesting because it makes one ask "how would someone in 1950-1955 predict the temp of the CMB, knowing only the Hubble parameter and perhaps having some independent rough guess as to the age of the universe?"
Gamow predicted around 5K, which ain't bad. Another lesser known fellow, Andrew McKeller, made an even closer prediction of 2.3K in 1941. See
http://aether.lbl.gov/www/science/CMBTimeLine.html

1. What is the temperature of empty space?

The temperature of empty space, also known as the cosmic microwave background radiation, is approximately 2.7 Kelvin (-270.45 degrees Celsius or -454.81 degrees Fahrenheit). This is the leftover heat from the Big Bang and is considered the baseline temperature of the universe.

2. How is the temperature of empty space measured?

The temperature of empty space is measured using a device called a spectrometer, which can detect and measure the cosmic microwave background radiation. This radiation is then converted into a temperature measurement using the Planck's law of blackbody radiation.

3. Does the temperature of empty space vary in different parts of the universe?

Yes, the temperature of empty space can vary slightly in different parts of the universe. This is due to the movement and distribution of matter and energy throughout the universe. However, the variations are very small and do not significantly affect the overall temperature of empty space.

4. How does the temperature of empty space affect the formation of stars and galaxies?

The temperature of empty space plays a crucial role in the formation of stars and galaxies. The cosmic microwave background radiation provides a uniform background temperature for matter to clump together and form into stars and galaxies. Without this baseline temperature, the universe would not have been able to evolve into its current state.

5. Can the temperature of empty space change over time?

Yes, the temperature of empty space can change over time. As the universe expands, the cosmic microwave background radiation also cools down, meaning the temperature of empty space will decrease. This is known as the redshift effect and is an important factor in studying the evolution of the universe.