The term mutual velocity, can be described as?

In summary, mutual velocity refers to the shared velocity between two objects after a collision. In this scenario, a 110 kg tackler moving at 3.0 m/s collides head-on with a 95 kg halfback moving at 7.5 m/s. With conservation of momentum, their mutual velocity can be determined to be 2.72 m/s in the direction they were both originally moving.
JohnnyB212
The term "mutual" velocity, can be described as?

Homework Statement

A 110 kg tackler moving at 3.0 m/s meets head-on (and tackles) a 95 kg halfback moving at 7.5 m/s. What will be their mutual velocity in meters/second immediately after the collision?

Homework Equations

m1 = 110kg
V01 = 3.0 m/s
m2 = 95 kg
V02 = 7.5 m/s
V1f = Final Velocity of the 110 kg tackler
V2f = Final Velocity of halfback

V1f = ((m1-m2)/(m1+m2))V01

V2f = ((2m1)/(m1+m2))V01

The Attempt at a Solution

V1f = 1.68
V2f = 24.68Am I correct for both? How would I determine the mutual velocity? I noticed V02 wasnt used, so I'm a little confused, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

"Mutual" in the sense of "shared in common". The two players stick together after the collision and thus have the same velocity.

Redo your calculations with that in mind.

Doc Al said:
"Mutual" in the sense of "shared in common". The two players stick together after the collision and thus have the same velocity.

Redo your calculations with that in mind.

Was the equation correct?

Oh! I caught myself on the V1f, which is actually .5897

Still, confused about the mutual portion. How are you to determine the common similarities of two completely different numbers?

JohnnyB212 said:
Was the equation correct?
No.

JohnnyB212 said:
Oh! I caught myself on the V1f, which is actually .5897

Still, confused about the mutual portion. How are you to determine the common similarities of two completely different numbers?
Instead of plugging into some formula (which doesn't apply to this situation), why not just apply conservation of momentum?

The collision is perfectly inelastic (they collide and move together). Hint: Direction matters--they are headed toward each other.

1. What is the definition of mutual velocity?

Mutual velocity refers to the velocity of two objects or particles in relation to each other. It describes the speed and direction of their relative motion.

2. How is mutual velocity calculated?

Mutual velocity can be calculated by taking the difference between the velocities of the two objects or particles. This can be represented as Vab = Vb - Va, where Vab is the mutual velocity, Vb is the velocity of object B, and Va is the velocity of object A.

3. What is the difference between mutual velocity and relative velocity?

Mutual velocity and relative velocity are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference. Mutual velocity specifically refers to the velocity between two objects or particles, while relative velocity can also refer to the velocity between an object and a fixed reference point.

4. Can mutual velocity be negative?

Yes, mutual velocity can be negative. This indicates that the two objects or particles are moving in opposite directions.

5. How is mutual velocity used in physics?

Mutual velocity is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in various equations and formulas to calculate the motion and interactions between objects. It is particularly useful in studying collisions, relative motion, and orbits.