1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The time it takes this thing to travel across 3 points

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    Hey! I have a problem that I have no clue how to solve. So I was hoping you guys could help me. I'm not from an English speaking country so I apologize.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thing is made to travel in water and on land. In water it travels with 20 m/s speed but on land with 25m/s speed. The thing starts at point P on the edge of a pond with radius 50m.
    358a23l.jpg
    (I drew this picture in paint and what I forgot to include is that the curved line from P to A and the straight line from A to Q are a little bit darker then the other lines, so it seems to me that the thing travels on land from P to A but in water from A to Q).

(a) Show that the time it takes the thing to travel from P to A to Q is:
    T(theta)=pi-20+5sin(theta/2)

(b) Give a description of the route that takes the shortest time for the thing to travel.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you mean ##T(\theta)=\pi - 2\theta + 5\sin{\frac \theta 2}##. But nobody here is going to work it for you. Show us what you have for part (a.)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook