1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The topology of rational numbers: connected sets

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    Consider the set of rational numbers, under the usual metric d(x,y)=|x-y|

I am pretty sure that this space is totally disconnected, but I can't convince myself that the set {x} U {y} is a disconnected set.

It seems obvious, but I can't find two non-empty disjoint open sets U,V such that U U V = {x} U {y}.

I am sure {x},{y} are not open sets, so I need something bigger.

Is the total disconnection only true if the the set Q is a relative topology of R?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can always map Q isometrically into R by the trivial embedding (q is mapped to q, with the standard metric in R). This is useful for the end result. Total disconnection means the only connected subsets of Q are the empty set and individual points. Suppose A is a connected subset of Q. Then there exists x,y in A s.t. x=/= y. We know there exists an irrational in between x and y. Now here's the thing... that irrational (call it z) isn't in Q, but we can still use it to our advantage as we can split A by A = {a in A | a<z in R} U {b in A | a>z in R}

and then you can show that both of those are open.

To clarify in your post though

When a subset of a space is disconnected, it means you can find two open sets in the subspace. The set {x} is open in {x}U{y} (the induced topology is B subset of A subset of X, B is open in A iff there exists V open in X s.t. B = A intersect V)

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the help. It was the definition of a disconnected set that was messing me up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?