The topology of rational numbers: connected sets

In summary, the set of rational numbers under the usual metric is totally disconnected, meaning the only connected subsets are the empty set and individual points. To prove this, we can use the fact that we can map Q isometrically into R and show that any subset of Q can be split into two open sets using an irrational number.
alligatorman
Consider the set of rational numbers, under the usual metric d(x,y)=|x-y|

I am pretty sure that this space is totally disconnected, but I can't convince myself that the set {x} U {y} is a disconnected set.

It seems obvious, but I can't find two non-empty disjoint open sets U,V such that U U V = {x} U {y}.

I am sure {x},{y} are not open sets, so I need something bigger.

Is the total disconnection only true if the the set Q is a relative topology of R?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always map Q isometrically into R by the trivial embedding (q is mapped to q, with the standard metric in R). This is useful for the end result. Total disconnection means the only connected subsets of Q are the empty set and individual points. Suppose A is a connected subset of Q. Then there exists x,y in A s.t. x=/= y. We know there exists an irrational in between x and y. Now here's the thing... that irrational (call it z) isn't in Q, but we can still use it to our advantage as we can split A by A = {a in A | a<z in R} U {b in A | a>z in R}

and then you can show that both of those are open.

To clarify in your post though

I am pretty sure that this space is totally disconnected, but I can't convince myself that the set {x} U {y} is a disconnected set.

It seems obvious, but I can't find two non-empty disjoint open sets U,V such that U U V = {x} U {y}.

When a subset of a space is disconnected, it means you can find two open sets in the subspace. The set {x} is open in {x}U{y} (the induced topology is B subset of A subset of X, B is open in A iff there exists V open in X s.t. B = A intersect V)

Thanks for the help. It was the definition of a disconnected set that was messing me up.

1. What is the topology of rational numbers?

The topology of rational numbers is a mathematical concept that describes the structure and connections between rational numbers. It is a way of organizing and understanding the relationships between these numbers.

2. How are connected sets defined in the topology of rational numbers?

In the topology of rational numbers, connected sets are defined as sets that cannot be divided into two nonempty subsets that are both open and disjoint. In other words, there is no way to separate the set into two distinct parts without breaking the continuity of the set.

3. What are some examples of connected sets in the topology of rational numbers?

Some examples of connected sets in the topology of rational numbers include intervals, such as (0,1) or [1,2], and the set of all rational numbers between 0 and 1. These sets are considered connected because any point within the set is also connected to all other points in the set.

4. How does the topology of rational numbers differ from the topology of real numbers?

The topology of rational numbers differs from the topology of real numbers in that the rational numbers are countable and discrete, while the real numbers are uncountable and continuous. This means that in the topology of rational numbers, there are "gaps" between each rational number, while in the topology of real numbers, there are no gaps and every point is connected.

5. What is the significance of understanding the topology of rational numbers?

Understanding the topology of rational numbers can have practical applications in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and engineering. It can also help us better understand the structure and behavior of real numbers, which are essential in many scientific and technological fields.