What Are the Units of Electric Flux?

In summary, the unit of electric flux can be expressed in two ways: either as V-m or C/m^2. The former is based on the integral form of Gauss's law, where the electric flux is represented by the integral of the electric field over a surface. The latter is based on the concept of electric flux density, which is the product of the electric field and the permittivity of free space. Both units are commonly used in physics, but the latter may be more useful as it always results in the total enclosed charge for a closed surface. However, the former may be preferred when working with a homogeneous volume.
wfunction
Hi all,

What is the unit of electric flux? I know this is an easy question, but I've seen different units.
In the following, I use the integral form of Gauss's law: [tex]\oint E\cdot dA=\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

1. Many physics book and parts of Wikipedia vaguely say that the integral on the left side represents the "electric flux", and thus it has units of "electric field" or "electric flux density" (V/m) multiplied by units of area (m^2), which results in "V-m". No problem.

2. When I look deeper, I see that this is apparently incorrect: E is the "electric field strength" while [tex]\epsilon_0\times E=D[/tex] is the "electric flux density"; hence, "electric flux density" has units of Coulombs/meter^2.

Personally, I like the latter explanation, but which one is officially correct?
If it's the first one, then is the second one wrong?
If it's the second one, then why is it so hard to specifically find a website that gives the units of electric flux instead of flux density?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's compare electric field with magnetic field. While we talk about magnetic field, we have a unit B, called "magnetic induction" OR "the density of the flux of magnetic induction". Actually, it is the same thing:

B - magnetic induction;
(B, dS) - elementary flux of magnetic induction;
(B, dS)/dS = B - the density of the flux of magnetic induction OR just magnetic induction.

The same is when we talk about the electricity.
D - electric induction OR electric induction flux density.

Sorry, I must go to university,... I will end this post when I come back.

Both of formulas are correct. The problem is just that electric flux density is other name of electric displacement.

Thank you for the replies.

I still don't understand the answer, though. I know this is a technicality, but there is only one official unit for electric flux, and so my question is what that unit is. Is it volt-meters, coulombs, or something else?

Thanks!

There is no accepted unit of flux that I have seen. Normally, we take the electric flux to be the surface integral of the electric field, and you would be hard pressed to find a differing convention. But, on a few occasions (like in the CRC Handbook it turns out), flux is sometimes taken as the surface integral of the electric flux density. The latter maybe a more useful definition since it will always result in the total enclosed charge for a closed surface, regardless of the background permittivity. But since we so often work with a homogeneous volume when computing a closed surface flux, the ratio of charge to epsilon is often taken too.

As I said above, electric flux and electric flux density (electric displacement) are different parameter. Therefore, they have different units.

"electric field" or "electric flux density"
Can you tell me an article shows that electric flux density's unit is V/m? Because D = epsilon * E ==> D(unit) >< E(unit)

I think you are confused with the name of D.

There is no need to complicate matters.
Electric Flux = # of Coulombs of charge or "C" for coulombs.

Electric Flux density is the C/m2 or Coulombs per meter sq.

These are all in SI units.

1. What is the unit of electric flux?

The unit of electric flux is the volt meter squared per second (V m2/s). It is also commonly referred to as the weber (Wb).

2. How is electric flux measured?

Electric flux is measured using a device called an electric flux meter, which measures the amount of electric field passing through a given area. It typically consists of a probe and a display unit that shows the reading in the unit of V m2/s.

3. What is the significance of electric flux?

Electric flux is an important concept in electromagnetism, as it helps us understand the flow of electric fields through a given area. It is also used in various calculations and equations, such as Gauss's Law, to determine the strength and direction of electric fields.

4. How is electric flux related to electric field?

Electric flux is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field passing through a given area. This means that as the electric field increases, the electric flux also increases, and vice versa. Electric flux is also affected by the angle between the electric field and the area it passes through.

5. Can electric flux be negative?

Yes, electric flux can be negative. This occurs when the electric field and the area are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for electric flux. It is important to consider the direction and orientation of the electric field and area when calculating electric flux to ensure an accurate measurement.