The Vacuum Energy is fictitious.

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of vacuum energy, which is considered to be fictitious and an artifact of the way the Casimir Effect is described. The Casimir Effect is described as an attractive force between two perfectly reflective plates, which is dependent on the area and separation between the plates. The conversation also discusses the concept of virtual particles/waves and how they contribute to the Casimir Effect. There is debate over whether the energy involved in the effect belongs to the vacuum or the plates themselves. Some argue that the concept of vacuum energy is not necessary to explain the Casimir Effect. Others believe that the agreement between prediction and observation is a strong argument for the existence of vacuum energy. The conversation also includes links to websites with more information and
I did find some more on the web

but not any plans for experiments that would confirm whether the effect was due to any intrinsic vacuum energy.

http://alsystems.algroup.co.uk/casimir/VED2.html

http://www.quantumfields.com/casfin.pdf

http://www.quantumfields.com/

The first link does contain some interesting comments concerning the ZPE and the CE.

The second link contains some comments by Casimir himself saying that the effect might be caused by fields from the plates. His comments are very interesting.

The third is the homepage of the fellow quoting Casimir. He seems to be trying to commercially exploit the effect, but he has pretty good scientific bona fides.

And of course there's plenty of hoaky links about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those who support the existence and primacy of Vacuum Force are confronted by a major obstacle in that the existence of a Vacuum Force does not require that any great change be made to Quantum Theory. That is to mean that as the forces of Quantum Theory are the interactions of Vacuum Force and Vacuum Force Carrier in a Quantum Vacuum Theory, then the mathematics remain largely unchanged.
It is my belief that one case where it might be possible to find a difference between the two concepts, is in the change in Atomic Radii caused by the addition of one neutron; that is changes in the Atomic Radii of Isotopes.
Unfortunately there is at present no Table of Atomic Radii for isotopes, but this is only a minor point because Quantum Theory tells us that it is determined by Magnetic Force and from that we can deduce the manner in which the radii changes should occur. It follows that if the Atomic Radii of Isotopes were a known quantity it should be possible to determine whether particles are Quantum Force Fields or Quantum Vacuum Force Fields.
This is the project that I am currently working on. Although there is still much to be done and I am a long way from having anything fit to publish; I can say that taking a rough sample of the figures as they stand they seem to support the Vacuum Force concept and that particle structure follows the pattern proposed in my Single Force concept (it cannot be called a theory until a lot more work is done).
The change in isotope radius caused by the addition of one neutron for the isotopes of each element is constant and reductive for all isotopes of all elements. If true, this cannot be explained as any other than a vacuum action.

Re Any crackpot can spin bullsh*t theories. submitted by Marcus

Extract from ACHILLES IN THE QUANTUM UNIVERSE
By Richard Morris
Souvenir Press
‘The physicist of the 1990’s view things differently. They feel a complete explanation of the sub-atomic world will not have been attained until it is known why particles have the charge, masses and other particular properties they are observed to possess’.

Extracts from THE LIGHTER SIDE OF GRAVITY
By Jayant V Narliker
Cambridge University Press
1) ‘Yet gravity remains an enigma today’
2) ‘I feel the last word on gravity has yet to be said’

Extracts from MODERN ELEMENTARY PARTICLE PHYSICS
Gordon Kane (Professor of physics, University of Michigan)
Open questions-
1) Why theory takes the form it does?
2) Why there are some particles and not others?
3) What is the physical origin of mass?

I believe these questions can be answered by introducing Vacuum force and Vacuum Force Carrier into the explanation. A rough outline of how I feel this can be done is on my web site. Constructive criticism and knowledge of other people’s ideas are always welcome. I do not claim to be right; indeed I have changed my views considerably over the years, thanks largely to the helpful comments of others, that is how progress is made. Insults add nothing to the debate, but if your understanding of the fundamentals of nature is greater than mine, I would be delighted to hear them.

‘It is the perfection of all God’s works that they shall be done with the greatest simplicity and therefore they that would understand the frame of the world must endeavour to reduce their knowledge to all possible simplicity.’
Sir Isaac Newton

Last edited by a moderator: