Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The White Mouse (1912-2011)

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2011 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Wow! What a woman!

4. Aug 9, 2011 #3

turbo

Gold Member

I have been reading tributes to Nancy Wake. She was an incredibly brave and resourceful woman. I'll see if my wife might be interested in picking up her book. She loves reading adventure and murder novels, but it sounds like her autobiography might be just as thrilling.

Edit: Just checked Amazon, thinking of ordering her a copy as a surprise. She'll have to find a copy in a library and check it out. $$$

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. Aug 9, 2011 #4

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Amazing!

She battled in her old age too. Some other BBC reports say that due to arguments with the Aussie govt. over veterans rights, she left the country in 2001. Selling her war medals, she stayed in a grand hotel in Piccadilly, and when those funds were exhausted, Prince Charles reportedly helped out. Then she lived in a home for retired forces personnel in London.

6. Aug 9, 2011 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

She was the REAL "mouse who roared"! :smile:

7. Aug 9, 2011 #6

rhody

Gold Member

As the wiki stated, A true fighting spirit, independent and fierce I might add, admirable qualities to be sure. She always found ways to improvise, adapt, and overcome. Sad to hear she didn't learn of her husband's death by the Gestapo's until after the war was over. RIP White Mouse...

Rhody...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook