1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Wronskian and diff.equations

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    Hi

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have differential equation

[tex]y'' + p(x)\cdot x' + q(x)y = 0[/tex] which have two solutions [tex]y_1(x)[/tex] and [tex]y_2(x)[/tex] where [tex]y_1(x) \neq 0[/tex]

show that [tex]y_2(t) = y_1(t)\int_{t_0}^{t} \frac{1}{y_1(s)^2} e^{-\int_{t_0}^s p(r) dr} ds[/tex] is also a solution.

2. Relevant equations

I know that wronskian for this is defined

[tex]w(y_1,y_2)(t) = c \cdot e^{-\int p(t) dt}[/tex] according to Abels identity theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution

My question do I use this property of theorem and properties of the Wronskian to derive c?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2
    Susanne -

The solution specified for y2 is the general form of a second solution to second order differential equation when the roots to its characteristic equation are repeated. I am not sure what to do when you have functions as coefficients, but perhaps if you can show your second order equation can be reduced to a second order equation with constant coefficients (with repeated roots), then you may assume the solution y2 = F(t)*y1 (F a function to be determined). Twice differentiating y2 and substituting it back into your original second order equation, you should obtain a new equation in terms of F', and F''. Hence you may let g = F' and obtain a first order, separable equation. Solve for g, then back-substitute F' and integrate to solve for F. Finally, since y2 = F(t)*y1, and since F(t) is known, you should get the answer specified for y2. Hope this helps.

- Sam

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3
    does this have any relation to reduction of order tecnique ?

5. Aug 29, 2010 #4
    Yes, I believe the name of the method I described above is reduction of order. Sorry, I forgot its name.

6. Aug 29, 2010 #5
    Why this isn't in my Calculus book. I don't know :(

Found this is a different textbook, but thanks ;)

Found this note here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduction_of_order

You seem to me more intelligent than me and therefore is the ansatz mentioned

[tex]y_2(x) = y_1(x) \cdot v(x) [/tex] can this be describe as linearcombination of first solution and the abtr function v(x)??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook