The Wronskian and diff.equations

• Thread starter Susanne217
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wronskian
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that y_2(t) is a solution to a differential equation using the Wronskian and the reduction of order technique. The participants also discuss the use of functions as coefficients and the general form of a second solution to a second order differential equation. One participant suggests using the ansatz method to solve for y_2(t).
Susanne217
Hi

Homework Statement

I have differential equation

[tex]y'' + p(x)\cdot x' + q(x)y = 0[/tex] which have two solutions [tex]y_1(x)[/tex] and [tex]y_2(x)[/tex] where [tex]y_1(x) \neq 0[/tex]

show that [tex]y_2(t) = y_1(t)\int_{t_0}^{t} \frac{1}{y_1(s)^2} e^{-\int_{t_0}^s p(r) dr} ds[/tex] is also a solution.

Homework Equations

I know that wronskian for this is defined

[tex]w(y_1,y_2)(t) = c \cdot e^{-\int p(t) dt}[/tex] according to Abels identity theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

My question do I use this property of theorem and properties of the Wronskian to derive c?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Susanne -

The solution specified for y2 is the general form of a second solution to second order differential equation when the roots to its characteristic equation are repeated. I am not sure what to do when you have functions as coefficients, but perhaps if you can show your second order equation can be reduced to a second order equation with constant coefficients (with repeated roots), then you may assume the solution y2 = F(t)*y1 (F a function to be determined). Twice differentiating y2 and substituting it back into your original second order equation, you should obtain a new equation in terms of F', and F''. Hence you may let g = F' and obtain a first order, separable equation. Solve for g, then back-substitute F' and integrate to solve for F. Finally, since y2 = F(t)*y1, and since F(t) is known, you should get the answer specified for y2. Hope this helps.

- Sam

Samuelb88 said:
Susanne -

The solution specified for y2 is the general form of a second solution to second order differential equation when the roots to its characteristic equation are repeated. I am not sure what to do when you have functions as coefficients, but perhaps if you can show your second order equation can be reduced to a second order equation with constant coefficients (with repeated roots), then you may assume the solution y2 = F(t)*y1 (F a function to be determined). Twice differentiating y2 and substituting it back into your original second order equation, you should obtain a new equation in terms of F', and F''. Hence you may let g = F' and obtain a first order, separable equation. Solve for g, then back-substitute F' and integrate to solve for F. Finally, since y2 = F(t)*y1, and since F(t) is known, you should get the answer specified for y2. Hope this helps.

- Sam

does this have any relation to reduction of order tecnique ?

Yes, I believe the name of the method I described above is reduction of order. Sorry, I forgot its name.

Samuelb88 said:
Yes, I believe the name of the method I described above is reduction of order. Sorry, I forgot its name.

Why this isn't in my Calculus book. I don't know :(

Found this is a different textbook, but thanks ;)

Found this note here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduction_of_order

You seem to me more intelligent than me and therefore is the ansatz mentioned

[tex]y_2(x) = y_1(x) \cdot v(x) [/tex] can this be describe as linearcombination of first solution and the abtr function v(x)??

Related to The Wronskian and diff.equations

1. What is the Wronskian and how is it used in differential equations?

The Wronskian is a mathematical concept used to determine whether a set of functions is linearly independent or dependent. In differential equations, it is used to determine whether a set of solutions to a given equation is a fundamental set of solutions, which is necessary for finding the general solution to the equation.

2. How is the Wronskian calculated?

The Wronskian is calculated by taking the determinant of a matrix formed by the solutions to the given differential equation. The matrix has the solutions as its columns, and the Wronskian is equal to the determinant of this matrix.

3. What is the significance of the Wronskian in differential equations?

The Wronskian is important in differential equations because it helps determine whether a set of solutions is a fundamental set, which is necessary for finding the general solution. It also plays a role in the theory of linear differential equations and the existence of solutions.

4. Can the Wronskian be used for non-linear differential equations?

No, the Wronskian is only applicable for linear differential equations. For non-linear equations, other methods such as the Lyapunov stability theory or phase plane analysis are used to determine the behavior of the solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Wronskian in differential equations?

Yes, the Wronskian can only be used for linear differential equations and is not applicable for non-linear equations. It also has limitations when dealing with singular points or systems of equations with more than one independent variable.