Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The x,y,z coordinates of CM of a solid cylinder

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    asdvbtstsbbgdh.PNG

I have found via integration that the y coordinate is $$y =h/2 = 120 mm$$. The x coordinate is $$x = \frac{-4r}{3\pi} = -51.9mm$$ and the z coordinate is $$z = r - \frac{4r}{3\pi} = 69.1 mm$$. I have no answers in my textbook so cant confirm whether i am correct or not.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google is you friend here.

4. May 2, 2015 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

If the cylinder is complete then the centre of mass is the midpoint.

If it is a quadrant of a solid cylinder as shown in your picture then it will be at C.y = h/2 as you show. The CM will lie on the plane of symmetry at 45 degrees, so the C.x and C.y offsets from the cylinder axis should have identical values. I suspect your values are correct.
    Would it not be easier if you placed your origin and z axis on the cylinder axis ?

The centroid of a cylindrical segment, hoof or wedge is available on Wolfram Alpha. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CylindricalSegment.html
    Unfortunately the quarter tank problem has only one plane cut. You need two.
    But one of the values will be the same as for a half cylinder which has a single plane cut.

5. May 2, 2015 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Your values appear to be correct. Attached is a one page extract from an 8MByte .pdf

There is an even easier solution.
    The centroid of a semicircle is R * 4 / 3π

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook