The x,y,z coordinates of CM of a solid cylinder

In summary, the x coordinate is -51.9mm, the y coordinate is 120 mm, and the z coordinate is 69.1 mm. The centroid of a cylindrical segment, hoof or wedge is available on Wolfram Alpha. The centroid of a semicircle is R * 4 / 3π.
HMPARTICLE
asdvbtstsbbgdh.PNG

I have found via integration that the y coordinate is $$y =h/2 = 120 mm$$. The x coordinate is $$x = \frac{-4r}{3\pi} = -51.9mm$$ and the z coordinate is $$z = r - \frac{4r}{3\pi} = 69.1 mm$$. I have no answers in my textbook so can't confirm whether i am correct or not.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Google is you friend here.

If the cylinder is complete then the centre of mass is the midpoint.

If it is a quadrant of a solid cylinder as shown in your picture then it will be at C.y = h/2 as you show. The CM will lie on the plane of symmetry at 45 degrees, so the C.x and C.y offsets from the cylinder axis should have identical values. I suspect your values are correct.
Would it not be easier if you placed your origin and z axis on the cylinder axis ?

The centroid of a cylindrical segment, hoof or wedge is available on Wolfram Alpha. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CylindricalSegment.html
Unfortunately the quarter tank problem has only one plane cut. You need two.
But one of the values will be the same as for a half cylinder which has a single plane cut.

Your values appear to be correct. Attached is a one page extract from an 8MByte .pdf

There is an even easier solution.
The centroid of a semicircle is R * 4 / 3π

Attachments

• SemiCylinder.pdf
    280 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

1. What are the x,y,z coordinates of the center of mass (CM) of a solid cylinder?

The x,y,z coordinates of the center of mass of a solid cylinder can be calculated using the following formulas:

xCM = xc

yCM = yc

zCM = zc

Where xc, yc, and zc are the coordinates of the centroid of the cross-sectional area of the cylinder.

2. How is the center of mass of a solid cylinder different from its geometric center?

The center of mass of a solid cylinder is the point where the entire mass of the cylinder can be considered to be concentrated, while the geometric center is simply the midpoint of the shape. This means that the center of mass takes into account the weight and distribution of the mass, while the geometric center does not.

3. Can the center of mass of a solid cylinder be located outside of the physical shape?

Yes, it is possible for the center of mass of a solid cylinder to be located outside of the physical shape. This can happen if the cylinder has an irregular shape or if the mass is distributed unevenly. However, the center of mass will always lie on the axis of symmetry of the cylinder.

4. How does the density of a solid cylinder affect its center of mass?

The density of a solid cylinder does not affect the location of its center of mass, as long as the density is constant throughout the shape. This is because the center of mass is determined by the distribution of mass, not the density. However, a change in density can affect the weight distribution and therefore the location of the center of mass.

5. Can the center of mass of a solid cylinder change?

Yes, the center of mass of a solid cylinder can change if the mass is redistributed or if the shape of the cylinder is altered. For example, if a hole is drilled into the cylinder, the center of mass will shift towards the hole. However, the center of mass will always remain on the axis of symmetry of the cylinder.