Theoretical and experimental physics.

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between theoretical and experimental physics, and how it may not be as separated as commonly perceived. The perception of a strict division may be influenced by specialization and the density of researchers in a particular field. However, the overlap between theory and experiment can be seen in various topics and activities, such as simulation tasks and joint projects between theoretical and experimental physicists. The degree of separation may also depend on the field of research. It is suggested that this understanding may come with further education and experience in the field.
Julio R
Enrico Fermi was a successful theoretical and experimental physicist. Is this still something that someone can do, or is it practically impossible today?
If it is pissible how can someone achieve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a broad range of topics/activities somewhere between experimental and theoretical physics.

mfb said:
There is a broad range of topics/activities somewhere between experimental and theoretical physics.

Can you elaborate on what those topics/activities are?

In general, all simulation tasks can be considered as something in between - they are not real experiments (you don't construct anything), but they are not pure theory either (you don't develop a new theory).

I think in many branches of physics theory and experiment have a closer relationship than is widely perceived. For example, it is not particularly uncommon for a granular matter theorist to turn to experiments but still continue contributing to theory papers (though in joint projects with former colleagues). I've seen quite a lot of experimental biophysicists proposing a theory model for some results they measured (or doing measurements to prove a model they themselved proposed) - something one would probably file under "theory", usually. And a neuroscience "experimental physics" professor comes to my mind who investigates learning and adaptive behavior on robots - which certainly has an experimental blend, but also contains a large fraction of what a theoretical physicist would spend his time with.

The perception of theory and experiment being detached (which they really shouldn't be) possibly comes from the big fields (solid state physics, particle physics, possibly even astrophysics) where a huge number of people works on essentially the same thing and, as a result, work becomes extremely specialized. And from the "all physics is Strings and Cosmology" Pop-Sci culture, of course.

So basically it all down to specialization and what area you conduct research in?

I would certainly not want to boil down what I said to a single definite sentence. Particularly not based on the very vague question posed (how do you define "being a successful theoretical and experimental physicist", for example?). What I meant to say is that theory and experiment are not neccessarily well separated - neither by scientific content (where obviously some overlap has to exist), nor by personell. And that the degree to which a separation is pronounced may depends on the field, with the separation increasing with the researcher/topic density. Also note that this is just my feeling/impression from having worked as a theoretical physicist in two different fields, not the result of a scientific study or a well-formed and evidence backed-up opinion.

I understand my question is vague, that comes from my own ignorance and I apoligize about it.
Is this something I will learn once I finish undergrad and start doing research?

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental physics?

Theoretical physics is the branch of physics that uses mathematical models and principles to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. Experimental physics, on the other hand, involves conducting experiments and gathering data to test and validate theories and models.

What are some examples of topics studied in theoretical physics?

Theoretical physicists study a wide range of topics, including quantum mechanics, relativity, particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. They also work on developing new theories and models to explain the behavior of the universe at both the microscopic and macroscopic levels.

How are theoretical and experimental physics related?

Theoretical and experimental physics are closely interconnected. Theories and models developed by theoretical physicists are often tested and refined through experiments conducted by experimental physicists. In turn, experimental data can also lead to the development of new theories and models.

What are the main challenges in theoretical physics?

One of the biggest challenges in theoretical physics is the quest for a unified theory that can explain all fundamental forces and particles in the universe. Other challenges include understanding the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and reconciling the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

What are the practical applications of theoretical and experimental physics?

Theoretical and experimental physics have numerous practical applications, including the development of new technologies such as computers, lasers, and medical imaging devices. They also play a crucial role in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and materials science.