Theoretical Particles @ Planck Scale: Is there a maximum wavelength of light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical limits of frequency and energy as determined by fundamental physical constants. The posters question if there is a limit to the maximum frequency or minimum wavelength, and if these limits have any connection to the speed of light. The conversation also brings up the possibility of measuring extremely small values of energy and whether they would be distinguishable from zero. Additionally, there is a question about the nature of frequency and its relation to the real world. Overall, the discussion highlights the complexities of these concepts and how they are still being explored and understood.
jrbirch
First time poster so please be gentle...

E = h * f
f = c / wavelength

1) Is there a theoretical limit on maximum f (minimum wavelength of Planck length)?
2) Is there a theoretical limit on minimum f of 1 (maximum wavelength of c)? (ie// the maximum distance that a photon can cover in unit time?)
2a) Are there radio waves that exist < 1 Hz?
3) Is it possible to measure E < h ? Is this distinguishable from E = 0?

Thanks.

Background: BSc in Comp. Sci.
I've searched the forums but haven't found anything that covers this...

Physics news on Phys.org
1) I don't think there is a physical limit to the frequency, but there is a limit to how accurately we can measure that frequency.

2) The maximum distance a photon can cover in unit time is determined by the speed of light, unless I'm misunderstanding your question...

2a) Yep -- a 0.5 Hz (cycle per second) signal would have a wavelength equal to the distance EM waves travel through a given medium in 2 seconds.

3) Yes, but I believe a corresponding measurement in time would become extremely inaccurate. I'm not sure about the second part of the question...

Any physicists correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you would do that anyway).

Hey Runner,

First, thanks for answering.

As to #2/#2a they're both asking pretty much the same thing.

If an EM wave has a frequency .5Hz doesn't that mean that the wave is propagating faster then c (the particles that make up the wave need to travel at 2c)?

Is frequency really just a continuous number or does it have some grounding and constraints in the real world?

1. What is the Planck scale?

The Planck scale is the scale at which quantum mechanical effects, specifically the effects of gravity, become significant. It is the smallest possible scale that can be measured and is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

2. What are theoretical particles at the Planck scale?

Theoretical particles at the Planck scale are hypothetical particles that are predicted by certain theories, such as string theory, to exist at the Planck scale. These particles are extremely small and have not been observed or detected.

3. Is there a maximum wavelength of light at the Planck scale?

According to current theories, there is no maximum wavelength of light at the Planck scale. In fact, the Planck length, which is the smallest possible length that can be measured, is inversely proportional to the maximum energy of a photon.

4. Can we observe or detect particles at the Planck scale?

Currently, we do not have the technology or capability to observe or detect particles at the Planck scale. These particles are incredibly small and would require extremely powerful and precise instruments to detect.

5. Why is the study of theoretical particles at the Planck scale important?

The study of theoretical particles at the Planck scale is important because it can help us understand the fundamental nature of the universe, including the behavior of gravity at very small scales. It can also potentially reconcile and unify different theories, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity.