Theory of Machines (Mechanical Engineering) question

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of lambda, or degree of freedom of space, in the formula for degree of freedom of a mechanism in the theory of machines course. The question being asked is how to determine if lambda is constant or not and if there are any examples of mechanisms where lambda is not constant. Some possible methods for checking and analyzing lambda are discussed, including splitting the analysis into different parts. The conversation ends with a clarification that the degree of freedom of the whole mechanism can be found by adding the degrees of freedom of each part.
kalamar20
Hello all;

I have been thinking about something for some time and could not find it through the internet so i decided to ask this to you.

In theory of machines course, there is lambda (degree of freedom of space) in the degree of freedom of mechanism formula. As you already know, lambda should be constant throughout the mechanism in order to use the formula. Here is my question;

How do you know that lambda is constant or not? I cannot figure that out and i would appreciate very much if you gave me some examples. Thank you all for your interest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you check if the number of degrees of freedom is the same all the time?

mfb said:
Can you check if the number of degrees of freedom is the same all the time?

I couldnot understand you

How do you determine lambda?
Do this for all possible things that will happen. Is the result the same everywhere?

mfb said:
How do you determine lambda?
Do this for all possible things that will happen. Is the result the same everywhere?

Could you please give an example mechanism where lambda is not constant?

I guess some joint can get fixed or something like that. But then I would split the analysis in two parts, both with different (but constant) lambda.

mfb said:
I guess some joint can get fixed or something like that. But then I would split the analysis in two parts, both with different (but constant) lambda.

And then you would add their degrees of freedoms and find the degree of freedom of the whole mechanism?

No, why? If I can analyze both parts, it is fine.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
No, why? If I can analyze both parts, it is fine.

OK, thanks.

What is the Theory of Machines?

The Theory of Machines is a branch of Mechanical Engineering that deals with the study of machines, their design, and their functioning. It involves understanding the principles of motion, forces, and energy and how they are applied in the design and operation of machines.

What are some important concepts in the Theory of Machines?

Some important concepts in the Theory of Machines include kinematics, dynamics, mechanisms, and machine elements. Kinematics deals with the study of motion and its characteristics, while dynamics focuses on the forces and motion of machines. Mechanisms refer to the components that make up a machine, and machine elements are the individual parts that make up those mechanisms.

How is the Theory of Machines applied in real life?

The Theory of Machines is applied in various industries, such as manufacturing, transportation, and construction. It is used in the design and development of machines and equipment, such as engines, pumps, and gears. It also plays a crucial role in optimizing the performance and efficiency of machines.

What are some common types of machines studied in the Theory of Machines?

Some common types of machines studied in the Theory of Machines include simple machines (such as levers and pulleys), gears, cams, linkages, and mechanisms like engines and turbines. Each of these machines has its own unique set of principles and applications that are studied in the Theory of Machines.

Why is the Theory of Machines important in the field of Mechanical Engineering?

The Theory of Machines is essential in Mechanical Engineering as it provides the fundamental knowledge and principles needed to design, analyze, and improve machines. It also helps engineers understand the behavior and limitations of machines, allowing them to develop new and more efficient designs. Additionally, the Theory of Machines plays a crucial role in the advancement of technology and innovation in the field of Mechanical Engineering.