1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of Machines (Mechanical Engineering) question

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    Hello all;

I have been thinking about something for some time and could not find it through the internet so i decided to ask this to you.

In theory of machines course, there is lambda (degree of freedom of space) in the degree of freedom of mechanism formula. As you already know, lambda should be constant throughout the mechanism in order to use the formula. Here is my question;

How do you know that lambda is constant or not? I cannot figure that out and i would appreciate very much if you gave me some examples. Thank you all for your interest.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you check if the number of degrees of freedom is the same all the time?

4. Nov 2, 2013 #3
    I couldnot understand you

5. Nov 2, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

How do you determine lambda?
    Do this for all possible things that will happen. Is the result the same everywhere?

6. Nov 2, 2013 #5
    Could you please give an example mechanism where lambda is not constant?

7. Nov 2, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I guess some joint can get fixed or something like that. But then I would split the analysis in two parts, both with different (but constant) lambda.

8. Nov 2, 2013 #7
    And then you would add their degrees of freedoms and find the degree of freedom of the whole mechanism?

9. Nov 2, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

No, why? If I can analyze both parts, it is fine.

10. Nov 3, 2013 #9
    OK, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted