Thermal Conductivity of Air: Pressure and Insulation

In summary, the thermal conductivity of air is 0.024, making it a highly effective insulating material compared to conventional materials used in buildings. Under pressure, the thermal conductivity of air remains constant. The use of insulating materials in buildings is necessary to slow down the natural convection of air and prevent heat transfer.
emiree
Hi,

I was hoping someone could enlighten me on the thermal conductivity of air. I'm aware the λ for air is 0.024. Meaning its a very good insulating material. Much better than the conventional insulating material we use for conventional buildings such as EPS and XPS which are at λ 0.030.

My questions are as follows - what happens to the thermal conductivity of air under pressure? (not vacuum - but pressure.) logical answer would be more gases per sq mm. Therefore easier conductivity therefore higher λ value. But I've been unable to find a suitable answer to reference.

Second question is: albeit a little silly one which I know is not true but I have been unable to answer this damn question as my physics knowledge is limited and unfortunately during my studies in genetics I didn't go into much detail - if air has such a good thermal conductivity why the requirement for insulating material in buildings? Again, logic explains it as - due to the good thermal conductivity of air it takes a long time for it to change temperature which explains why despite a strong sun during early mornings the temperature gradually rises towards mid-day. so I am to assume a different median is required to break that process such as a concrete brick work.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
emiree said:
Hi,

I was hoping someone could enlighten me on the thermal conductivity of air. I'm aware the λ for air is 0.024. Meaning its a very good insulating material. Much better than the conventional insulating material we use for conventional buildings such as EPS and XPS which are at λ 0.030.

My questions are as follows - what happens to the thermal conductivity of air under pressure? (not vacuum - but pressure.) logical answer would be more gases per sq mm. Therefore easier conductivity therefore higher λ value. But I've been unable to find a suitable answer to reference.

Second question is: albeit a little silly one which I know is not true but I have been unable to answer this damn question as my physics knowledge is limited and unfortunately during my studies in genetics I didn't go into much detail - if air has such a good thermal conductivity why the requirement for insulating material in buildings? Again, logic explains it as - due to the good thermal conductivity of air it takes a long time for it to change temperature which explains why despite a strong sun during early mornings the temperature gradually rises towards mid-day. so I am to assume a different median is required to break that process such as a concrete brick work.

Thanks

The thermal conductivity of an ideal gas is independent of pressure.

If we just used pure air as the insulating material between inner and outer surfaces of a wall, the heat transfer rate would be enhanced by natural convection of the air. With insulating materials, the air is still a big part of what is happening (it is present together with the insulating material), but the insulating material also acts to retard the air from circulating and enhancing the heat transfer rate.

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of how well a material can transfer heat. It is a property that describes the ability of a material to conduct heat through its structure.

2. How is thermal conductivity of air determined?

The thermal conductivity of air can be determined through experiments or calculations based on its physical properties, such as density, specific heat, and viscosity.

3. What factors affect the thermal conductivity of air?

The thermal conductivity of air is affected by temperature, pressure, and composition. It also varies with the humidity and the presence of other gases or particles in the air.

4. How does thermal conductivity of air compare to other materials?

The thermal conductivity of air is relatively low compared to most solids and liquids. However, it is higher than the thermal conductivity of vacuum, which is commonly used as an insulating material.

5. Why is thermal conductivity of air important?

The thermal conductivity of air is important in many practical applications, such as in building insulation, HVAC systems, and heat transfer in industrial processes. It also plays a crucial role in the Earth's atmosphere and climate.