How Much Heat Does the Range Element Transfer in an Isovolumetric Process?

In summary, the problem involves a pressure cooker with 2.0 kg of water being heated by a range element. The internal energy of the system increases by 8.0 x 10^3 J, but 2.0 x 10^3 J of energy is transferred to the surrounding air. The question asks how much energy is transferred from the range element to the pressure cooker as heat. By applying the first law of thermodynamics and considering the process to be isochoric (constant volume), it is determined that the heat transferred to the pressure cooker is equal to the increase in internal energy. Therefore, the total heat supplied by the element is the sum of the heat transferred to the pressure cooker and the heat transferred to the
interXdragon

Homework Statement

Q = ?
ΔU = + 8.0x10^3
W = perhaps 0 since isovolumetric?
Energy Lost = -2.0x10^3
Mass of Water = 2.0 kg

Homework Equations

I'm stuck on this thermal dynamics problem. It states: "A 2.0 kg quantity of water is held at constant volume in a puressure cooker and is heated by a range elment. The system's interal energy increases by 8.0 x 10^3 J. However, the pressure cooker is not well insulated, and 2.0 x 10^3 J of energy is transferred to the surrounding air. How much energy is trasferred from te range elment to the pressure cooker as heat?"

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that is is an isovolumetric problem, and in my book, that means work is equal to zero. Since 'w' is taken out of the equation, I solved it by Q = 8.0x10^3 J, from ΔU = Q - W. I then subtracted that by 2.0x10^3 J. My answer was completely off. What am I thinking wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your on the right track. Consider the first law of thermodynamics, which are you correctly state is [itex]\Delta U = Q - W[/itex] and as you correctly say, the process is isochoric [itex]\Rightarrow W = 0[/itex]. So now we have [itex]\Delta U = Q[/itex] where Q is the heat added to the system; this is the heat transferred to the pressure cooker which raised to internal energy. Now, if Q' is the heat transferred from the element is the pressure cooker and the surrounding air, then Q'=Q+2.0x103. Does that make sense?

thanks to that, now i have the right answer! but I'm still confused on the last sentence. i don't see why we should include 2.0 x 10^3 J into the transferred heat.

interXdragon said:
thanks to that, now i have the right answer! but I'm still confused on the last sentence. i don't see why we should include 2.0 x 10^3 J into the transferred heat.
Okay, you are given that the internal energy of the pressure cooker is increased by [itex]\Delta U[/itex], from the first law of thermodynamics you can calculate that [itex]Q[/itex] joules of heat must be transferred to the pressure cooker from the element (in this case [isochoric] note that [itex]\Delta U = Q[/itex]). Now, the element also supplies 2.0 x 10^3 J to the air so the total heat the element supplies is the sum of those two values.

1. What is thermal dynamics?

Thermal dynamics is the study of how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms in a system. It involves the principles of thermodynamics and the laws of physics to understand how heat moves through a system.

2. What is a thermal dynamics problem?

A thermal dynamics problem is a scenario where heat is either being added or removed from a system, and the goal is to understand how this affects the system and its components. This type of problem often involves calculations and the application of thermodynamic principles to solve.

3. What are the basic principles of thermal dynamics?

The basic principles of thermal dynamics include the first and second laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed, and that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

4. How do you approach solving a thermal dynamics problem?

To solve a thermal dynamics problem, you must first understand the system and its components, including the sources and sinks of heat. Then, you can apply the first and second laws of thermodynamics, along with any relevant equations, to calculate the changes in temperature, heat transfer, and other variables within the system.

5. What are some applications of thermal dynamics?

Thermal dynamics has many practical applications, including designing and optimizing energy systems, such as engines and refrigeration systems, understanding the Earth's climate and weather patterns, and developing new materials and technologies for energy conversion and storage.