1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo diff. eqn problem

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    im given the equation:

k d[tex]^{2}[/tex]T/dx[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 0 over 0 < x < L = 0.4

with T(0)=T and -k dT(L)/dx = h(T(L)-Tinf)

i tried to solve it and i got

T(x) = (-h(T(L)-Tinf)x)*(1/k)

the book gives

T(x) = ( (k+h(L-x))T+h*x*Tinf)*(1/ (k+h*L) )

i dont understand what went wrong... help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

If you plug x = 0 into your expression, you'll find you get T(0) = 0, which is not the boundary condition you're given. You want T(0) = T.

Solving the ODE gives you T(x) = Ax + B. In your solution you appear to have dropped the B term and only solved for A. Keeping B and solving for it should fix the problem.

4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    thanks i dont know why that happened. that just adds a +T after my original solution. i still dont understand where they got the '(k+h*L)' from...

5. Sep 28, 2008 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

Okay, I see what the other step they did is. Your condition on the derivate of T is defined in terms of T(L), so you get as your solution

[tex]T(x) = -\frac{h}{k}(T(L) - T_{\infty})x + T[/tex]

So, at x = L, you have

[tex]T(L) = -\frac{h}{k}(T(L) - T_{\infty})L + T[/tex]

so you need to solve for T(L). Plugging that back into your original expression should (hopefully) get you the book's solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?