Understanding a Thermo Diffusion Equation Problem: A Comparison of Solutions

• Thread starter Quadruple Bypass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, the given equation is solved for T(x), with a boundary condition of T(0) = T and -k dT(L)/dx = h(T(L)-Tinf). The book provides a solution of T(x) = ( (k+h(L-x))T+h*x*Tinf)*(1/ (k+h*L) ), while the conversation reveals that the solution can also be obtained by keeping the B term in the original solution of T(x) = Ax + B and solving for it using the given boundary condition. The book's solution is then obtained by plugging in T(L) from the solved boundary condition into the original expression.
Quadruple Bypass
im given the equation:

k d[tex]^{2}[/tex]T/dx[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 0 over 0 < x < L = 0.4

with T(0)=T and -k dT(L)/dx = h(T(L)-Tinf)

i tried to solve it and i got

T(x) = (-h(T(L)-Tinf)x)*(1/k)

the book gives

T(x) = ( (k+h(L-x))T+h*x*Tinf)*(1/ (k+h*L) )

i don't understand what went wrong... help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you plug x = 0 into your expression, you'll find you get T(0) = 0, which is not the boundary condition you're given. You want T(0) = T.

Solving the ODE gives you T(x) = Ax + B. In your solution you appear to have dropped the B term and only solved for A. Keeping B and solving for it should fix the problem.

thanks i don't know why that happened. that just adds a +T after my original solution. i still don't understand where they got the '(k+h*L)' from...

Okay, I see what the other step they did is. Your condition on the derivate of T is defined in terms of T(L), so you get as your solution

[tex]T(x) = -\frac{h}{k}(T(L) - T_{\infty})x + T[/tex]

So, at x = L, you have

[tex]T(L) = -\frac{h}{k}(T(L) - T_{\infty})L + T[/tex]

so you need to solve for T(L). Plugging that back into your original expression should (hopefully) get you the book's solution.

Related to Understanding a Thermo Diffusion Equation Problem: A Comparison of Solutions

What is a thermo diff. eqn problem?

A thermo diff. eqn problem is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between temperature, heat transfer, and diffusion in a system. It is commonly used in thermodynamics and heat transfer studies.

What are the variables in a thermo diff. eqn problem?

The variables in a thermo diff. eqn problem typically include temperature, heat transfer rate, diffusion coefficient, and the geometry and material properties of the system.

How is a thermo diff. eqn problem solved?

A thermo diff. eqn problem is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element analysis. These methods involve discretizing the problem into smaller, solvable parts and using iterative calculations to find a solution.

What are some real-life applications of thermo diff. eqn problems?

Thermo diff. eqn problems have many real-life applications, including heat transfer in buildings, chemical reactions, and biological processes. They are also used in engineering fields such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics.

What are the limitations of thermo diff. eqn problems?

Some limitations of thermo diff. eqn problems include the assumptions and simplifications made in the mathematical model, which may not accurately represent real-world scenarios. Additionally, these problems can become complex and time-consuming to solve, especially for non-linear systems.