Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermochemistry Lab: Need help on finding a suitable double displacement reaction

1. Oct 29, 2006 #1
    Well, my chemistry teacher is extremely confusing, and wants us to create our own lab where we figure out the enthalpy changes in a chemical reaction. Is there are reaction out there that would give a considerable change in temperature, while using chemicals typically found in a high school? As an aside, he also gave us an option to

Here's what I've come up with so far... it would be great if I could get some feedback on these reactions.

1. [tex]Mg_ (s) + HCl_ (aq) [/tex]

(Last resort, because my teacher recommends a double displacement reaction)

2. [tex]NaOH_ (aq)+ HCl_ (aq) [/tex]

(Another last resort, because my teacher recommends a double displacement reaction)

3. [tex]CuSO_4_(aq) + 2NaCl_ (aq) [/tex]

(I have no idea if there's going to be any heat change from this)

Any help on this would be fantastic and very much appreciated!

Thanks,

soggybread

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can perform a simple calorimetry experiment, have you been exposed to this concept so far?

4. Oct 31, 2006 #3
    sulfuric acid to sugar is really fun... is that a double replacement... I'd have to think... but it does let off a lot of heat... and the charred black mess is awesome.

Edit: they are calling it a "DEHYDRATION/HYDRATION" reaction:
    http://chemlearn.chem.indiana.edu/demos/TheDehyd.htm

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  5. Nov 1, 2006 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Neutralization should be OK - enough heat to measure and concentrations of reactants easy to check.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook