Thermochemistry Lab: Need help on finding a suitable double displacement reaction

• Thread starter soggybread
  • Start date
Well, my chemistry teacher is extremely confusing, and wants us to create our own lab where we figure out the enthalpy changes in a chemical reaction. Is there are reaction out there that would give a considerable change in temperature, while using chemicals typically found in a high school? As an aside, he also gave us an option to

Here's what I've come up with so far... it would be great if I could get some feedback on these reactions.

1. [tex]Mg_ (s) + HCl_ (aq) [/tex]

(Last resort, because my teacher recommends a double displacement reaction)

2. [tex]NaOH_ (aq)+ HCl_ (aq) [/tex]

(Another last resort, because my teacher recommends a double displacement reaction)

3. [tex]CuSO_4_(aq) + 2NaCl_ (aq) [/tex]

(I have no idea if there's going to be any heat change from this)

Any help on this would be fantastic and very much appreciated!

Thanks,

soggybread

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You can perform a simple calorimetry experiment, have you been exposed to this concept so far?

sulfuric acid to sugar is really fun... is that a double replacement... I'd have to think... but it does let off a lot of heat... and the charred black mess is awesome.

Edit: they are calling it a "DEHYDRATION/HYDRATION" reaction:
http://chemlearn.chem.indiana.edu/demos/TheDehyd.htm

Last edited:
Borek
Mentor
Neutralization should be OK - enough heat to measure and concentrations of reactants easy to check.