How do I calculate work and heat in a PV diagram for an ideal monoatomic gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an ideal gas and its properties, including the ideal gas law, work done, and the first law of thermodynamics. The focus is on calculating the work done and heat absorbed by the gas along specific paths on a PV diagram. It is determined that the gas is an ideal monoatomic gas, which helps in calculating its specific heat.
Muthumanimaran

Homework Statement

1.jpg

Homework Equations

Ideal gas law:
$$PV=nRT$$

Workdone by the gas:
For Isobaric process
$$W=P(V_{2}-V_{1})$$

For Isothermal Process
$$W=nRT \ln(V_{2}{/}V_{1})$$

First law:
$$U=Q-W$$

The Attempt at a Solution

subpart (a) is trivial, all we have to do is to substitute the given data in Ideal gas law to get the temperatures.

I have conceptual difficulty in part (b) and (c)only
The PV diagram conists of two Isothersms (DA and BC) and two Isobars (AB and CD)
How to calculate workdone by the gas?
Is it just the sum of the workdone by four processes ?

Next, Heat absorbed by gas?
Since the total Internal energy U of a cyclic process is zero, is it just equal to the total workdone?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Muthumanimaran said:
How to calculate workdone by the gas?
Is it just the sum of the workdone by four processes ?
No. You are told that the system goes from A to C along path ABC. Which processes does that involve?
Muthumanimaran said:
Next, Heat absorbed by gas?
Since the total Internal energy U of a cyclic process is zero, is it just equal to the total workdone?
Is this a cyclic process?
(By the way, your statement is wrong in any case. The total internal energy change, ΔU, of a cyclic process is zero. It is vitally important to distinguish between thermodynamic quantities and changes in those quantities. Many mistakes are made here.)

Likes Muthumanimaran
I think the focus of this problem is only the portion of the path between A and C. From the information given, you also know the volume at B. What is that volume?

Likes Muthumanimaran
Oh, I got it now. I just need to calculate the work done from A to B and B to C and sum it up? Am I right?

Muthumanimaran said:
Oh, I got it now. I just need to calculate the work done from A to B and B to C and sum it up? Am I right?
That's my interpretation of the problem statement. Arguably, it is not very clear.

From A to C it is not a cyclic process, so the change in internal energy cannot be zero (from A to C), then how to find the heat absorbed by the gas?

What is the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas at C? What is the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas at B?

P=1 atm V=20lit at point C and T=PV/R

So T=20/R K at point C

Pressure at B is 4 atm T = 20/R
So V=5 lit

Without knowing the specific heat of the gas how do I calculate the change in internal energy from A to B? Workdone = P(VB-VA), is it just enough to plug these values to find the heat transfer from A to B? for B to C is an isotherm, so workdone is equal to heat right?

Muthumanimaran said:
P=1 atm V=20lit at point C and T=PV/R

So T=20/R K at point C

Pressure at B is 4 atm T = 20/R
So V=5 lit
You do know the value of R, correct.? Please provide actual numbers for the temperatures at A, B, and C.

Muthumanimaran said:
Without knowing the specific heat of the gas how do I calculate the change in internal energy from A to B? Workdone = P(VB-VA), is it just enough to plug these values to find the heat transfer from A to B? for B to C is an isotherm, so workdone is equal to heat right?
You are told that the gas is an ideal monoatomic gas. What does that tell you about its specific heat?

Chestermiller said:
You are told that the gas is an ideal monoatomic gas. What does that tell you about its specific heat?
Specific heat is (3/2)R. Now I got it.

1. What is a PV diagram in thermodynamics?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure (P) and volume (V) of a thermodynamic system. It is used to analyze the work, heat, and energy transfer of a system.

2. How is a PV diagram constructed?

A PV diagram is constructed by plotting pressure on the y-axis and volume on the x-axis. The graph is typically divided into quadrants to represent different stages of a thermodynamic process, such as compression, expansion, and heat transfer.

3. What information can be obtained from a PV diagram?

A PV diagram can provide information about the work done by a system, the heat transferred to or from the system, and the change in internal energy of the system. It can also be used to determine the efficiency of a thermodynamic process.

4. How do you interpret a PV diagram?

The slope of a line on a PV diagram represents the change in pressure over the change in volume, which is equal to the force per unit area (pressure). The area under the curve represents the work done by the system. The direction of the curve can indicate the direction of heat transfer, with a positive slope indicating heat added to the system and a negative slope indicating heat removed from the system.

5. How are PV diagrams used in real-world applications?

PV diagrams are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as analyzing the efficiency of heat engines, designing refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and studying the behavior of gases in chemical reactions. They are also used in the field of thermodynamics to understand and improve energy conversion processes.