Thermodynamics and polytropic ideal gas (very simple theory question)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work in thermodynamics and the definition of a polytropic process. The equation for work is given as W=\int PdV, where P is pressure and V is volume. The book defines a polytropic process as PV^n = constant and then writes an equation for a polytropic, quasi-static equality when n=1. The conversation also touches on the concept of constants in this equation, with P and V being variables while P_1 and V_1 are constants. Ultimately, the participants come to a realization and thank the forum for their help.
member 428835
hey all!

i have a question i was hoping some of you could unravel. specifically, in thermodynamics i understand in a quasi-static situation we can right work as:

[tex]W=\int PdV[/tex] where [itex]W[/itex] is work, [itex]P[/itex] is pressure, and [itex]V[/itex] is volume.

my book defines polytropic to be [tex]PV^n = constant[/tex]

it then writes the following polytropic, quasi-static equality when [itex]n=1[/itex] , which is where i am lost:

[tex]W=\int PdV = \int P \frac{{V_1}}{V} dV = P{V_1} \int \frac{{dV}}{V} = P{V_1} ln(\frac{{V_2}}{V_1}) [/tex]

specifically, if [itex]PV_1[/itex] is constant, then if we pull it out of the integral how is it we integrate over [itex]\frac{1}{V}[/itex] ? why doesn't the equality implode here: [tex] \int P \frac{{V_1}}{V} dV = P{V_1} \int \frac{{dV}}{V}[/tex] if [itex]V_1[/itex] is a constant why isn't [itex]V[/itex]? any help is greatly appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
I think either you copied something wrong our your book is leaving out a small detail here. Namely, for the polytropic process with [itex]n=1[/itex], you have the relation simplified to
[tex]pV = c.[/tex]
So, if you have some base state that represents the starting conditions of your system, you can say
[tex]p_1 V_1 = c.[/tex]
There, [itex]p_1[/itex] and [itex]V_1[/itex] are both constants because they simply represent the pressure and volume of your system at its initial state. You can rearrange this for substitution into the work equation,
[tex]p = \dfrac{c}{V} = \dfrac{p_1 V_1}{V}[/tex]
They are initial conditions. Going back to your work equation,
[tex]W = \int\limits_1^2 p\;dV = \int\limits_1^2 \dfrac{p_1 V_1}{V}\;dV = p_1 V_1 \int\limits_1^2 \dfrac{1}{V}\;dV = p_1 V_1 \left.\ln(V)\right|_1^2 = p_1 V_1 \left[\ln(V_2) - \ln(V_1)\right] = p_1 V_1 \ln\left(\dfrac{V_2}{V_1}\right)[/tex]
which recovers the answer in your question with the exception that there is a subscript 1 in front of the pressure term. The key is that you know that [itex]pV[/itex] is equal to a constant, and you "know" the initial state of the system, so you can replace that constant with the values of [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] at that initial state, and both of those are constants and can be removed from the integral. In short, [itex]p_1[/itex] and [/itex]V_1[/itex] are constants while [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] are not because the former refer to specific values of the later at a specific time, and those don't change.

joshmccraney said:
hey all!

i have a question i was hoping some of you could unravel. specifically, in thermodynamics i understand in a quasi-static situation we can right work as:

[tex]W=\int PdV[/tex] where [itex]W[/itex] is work, [itex]P[/itex] is pressure, and [itex]V[/itex] is volume.

my book defines polytropic to be [tex]PV^n = constant[/tex]

it then writes the following polytropic, quasi-static equality when [itex]n=1[/itex] , which is where i am lost:

[tex]W=\int PdV = \int P \frac{{V_1}}{V} dV = P{V_1} \int \frac{{dV}}{V} = P{V_1} ln(\frac{{V_2}}{V_1}) [/tex]
The P is missing a subscript.

If PV = constant then PV must equal P1V1, so P = P1V1/V.

So:

[tex]W=\int PdV = \int P_1 \frac{{V_1}}{V} dV = P_1V_1 \int \frac{{dV}}{V} = P_1V_1 ln(\frac{{V_2}}{V_1}) [/tex]

specifically, if [itex]PV_1[/itex] is constant,

PV = constant. So PV1 cannot be constant (ie. P cannot be constant) as V changes.

AM

boneh3ad said:
In short, [itex]p_1[/itex] and [itex]V_1[/itex] are constants while [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] are not because the former refer to specific values of the later at a specific time, and those don't change.

if this is true, how can we make the questionable integral equality? it seems if [itex]V_1 \neq V[/itex] then we cannot have the equality that was pointed out. can you explain?

never mind, it just "clicked". thanks guys! yay for PF saving the day again!

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important in understanding gases?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations. It is important in understanding gases because it helps us understand how gases behave and how they interact with their environment.

2. What is an ideal gas and how does it differ from a real gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas. It differs from a real gas in that it does not have any intermolecular forces or occupy any volume, whereas real gases do have intermolecular forces and occupy a finite volume.

3. What is the polytropic process and how does it relate to ideal gases?

A polytropic process is a type of thermodynamic process in which the pressure and volume of a gas are related by the equation P*V^n = constant, where n is a constant value. This process is often used to approximate the behavior of ideal gases, as it allows for changes in pressure and volume without any heat transfer.

4. How does temperature affect the behavior of an ideal gas?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, the volume of an ideal gas also increases, assuming the pressure and amount of gas remain constant. This is because at higher temperatures, the gas molecules have more kinetic energy and move faster, causing them to occupy a larger volume.

5. Can the behavior of real gases be accurately described by the ideal gas law?

No, the ideal gas law is an approximation that works well for ideal gases under certain conditions. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures, and must be described by more complex equations, such as the van der Waals equation or the virial equation.