Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics and polytropic ideal gas (very simple theory question)

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

hey all!

i have a question i was hoping some of you could unravel. specifically, in thermodynamics i understand in a quasi-static situation we can right work as:

[tex]W=\int PdV[/tex] where [itex]W[/itex] is work, [itex]P[/itex] is pressure, and [itex]V[/itex] is volume.

my book defines polytropic to be [tex]PV^n = constant[/tex]

it then writes the following polytropic, quasi-static equality when [itex]n=1[/itex] , which is where i am lost:

[tex]W=\int PdV = \int P \frac{{V_1}}{V} dV = P{V_1} \int \frac{{dV}}{V} = P{V_1} ln(\frac{{V_2}}{V_1}) [/tex]

specifically, if [itex]PV_1[/itex] is constant, then if we pull it out of the integral how is it we integrate over [itex]\frac{1}{V}[/itex] ? why doesn't the equality implode here: [tex] \int P \frac{{V_1}}{V} dV = P{V_1} \int \frac{{dV}}{V}[/tex] if [itex]V_1[/itex] is a constant why isn't [itex]V[/itex]? any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2013 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think either you copied something wrong our your book is leaving out a small detail here. Namely, for the polytropic process with [itex]n=1[/itex], you have the relation simplified to
    [tex]pV = c.[/tex]
    So, if you have some base state that represents the starting conditions of your system, you can say
    [tex]p_1 V_1 = c.[/tex]
    There, [itex]p_1[/itex] and [itex]V_1[/itex] are both constants because they simply represent the pressure and volume of your system at its initial state. You can rearrange this for substitution into the work equation,
    [tex]p = \dfrac{c}{V} = \dfrac{p_1 V_1}{V}[/tex]
    They are initial conditions. Going back to your work equation,
    [tex]W = \int\limits_1^2 p\;dV = \int\limits_1^2 \dfrac{p_1 V_1}{V}\;dV = p_1 V_1 \int\limits_1^2 \dfrac{1}{V}\;dV = p_1 V_1 \left.\ln(V)\right|_1^2 = p_1 V_1 \left[\ln(V_2) - \ln(V_1)\right] = p_1 V_1 \ln\left(\dfrac{V_2}{V_1}\right)[/tex]
    which recovers the answer in your question with the exception that there is a subscript 1 in front of the pressure term. The key is that you know that [itex]pV[/itex] is equal to a constant, and you "know" the initial state of the system, so you can replace that constant with the values of [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] at that initial state, and both of those are constants and can be removed from the integral. In short, [itex]p_1[/itex] and [/itex]V_1[/itex] are constants while [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] are not because the former refer to specific values of the later at a specific time, and those don't change.

4. Jul 7, 2013 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The P is missing a subscript.

If PV = constant then PV must equal P1V1, so P = P1V1/V.

So:

[tex]W=\int PdV = \int P_1 \frac{{V_1}}{V} dV = P_1V_1 \int \frac{{dV}}{V} = P_1V_1 ln(\frac{{V_2}}{V_1}) [/tex]

PV = constant. So PV1 cannot be constant (ie. P cannot be constant) as V changes.

AM

5. Jul 7, 2013 #4

joshmccraney

Gold Member

if this is true, how can we make the questionable integral equality? it seems if [itex]V_1 \neq V[/itex] then we cannot have the equality that was pointed out. can you explain?

6. Jul 7, 2013 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

never mind, it just "clicked". thanks guys! yay for PF saving the day again!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook