Thermodynamics change in internal energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of changes in internal energy when the temperature is raised to 500K for a gas in a gas bottle. The given answer is 362 kJ, but the speaker has been struggling to find the correct answer using various equations and assumptions. One suggestion is to calculate the number of moles using the ideal gas law and determine the specific heat capacity of the gas. However, the speaker believes the given answer is incorrect.
tom2tom
1. A gas bottle with a volume of 0.1 m3 contains 0.4 kg of a gas at a pressure of 7
MN/m2 and a temperature of 150 ºC. For this gas Cp = 10.54 kJ/kg K. Calculate
the changes in internal energy when temperature is raised to 500K
Given answer: 362 kJ

2. pV=mRT pv=RT
mCpdT=dH
mCvdT=dU
dq-dw=du

3. so I've been struggling with this for a while. i know that du=dq as there is no net work when volume is constant.
initially i used p1V1/mT1=R and then i used Cp=R+Cv to find Cv. From there i used the equation mCvdT=dU. however this doesn't give the correct answer.

ive been trying a few other ways as well but they haven't worked. is there some assumption i can make etc...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try calculating the number of moles using n = PV/RT with units in MKS and a gas constant of R = 8.314 J/K mol. I assume 7 MN/m^2 means 7x10^6 Pa.

Then work out the ratio of moles to kg. to determine what the Cp is in terms of J/mole K. Subtract R from that to get Cv.

I get n = 199 moles and Cv = 12.87 J/mol K, which gives an answer:

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T = 199 \times 12.87 \times 77 = 197.2 KJ[/tex]

So I think the answer given is wrong.

AM

Related to Thermodynamics change in internal energy

1. What is thermodynamics change in internal energy?

Thermodynamics change in internal energy refers to the change in the total energy of a thermodynamic system, which includes all forms of energy such as kinetic, potential, and internal energy. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics, which deals with the relationship between heat, work, and energy.

2. How is thermodynamics change in internal energy measured?

Thermodynamics change in internal energy is typically measured in Joules (J) or calories (cal), depending on the unit system used. It can be calculated by taking the difference between the final and initial internal energy of a system, or by using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.

3. What factors affect the thermodynamics change in internal energy?

The thermodynamics change in internal energy of a system is affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of process (e.g. isothermal, adiabatic). It also depends on the nature of the system and the energy interactions between its components. In general, any change in heat or work done on the system will result in a change in internal energy.

4. How does thermodynamics change in internal energy relate to the concept of enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including internal energy and the energy required to overcome the system's pressure and volume. Therefore, the thermodynamics change in internal energy is a component of the overall enthalpy change of a system. In other words, the enthalpy change is equal to the internal energy change plus the work done by the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics change in internal energy?

Thermodynamics change in internal energy has numerous real-world applications, including refrigeration and air conditioning, power generation in engines, and chemical reactions in industrial processes. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of materials at extreme temperatures and pressures, such as in space exploration or nuclear reactions.